ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Hey guys.

I’ll be going to Arsenal – Chelsea in late December (the 21th) , and figured I might do some Christmas shopping while there.

I have two questions for those of you that know the place.
    First of all, should I expect shopping to be next to impossible due to the sheer amount of people, that close to Christmas?
    Secondly, are prices any different in the center of London (Oxford Street, for example) as opposed to outside the center? Like, if I go to some chain store… H&M or whatever… will the prices be the same anywhere?

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Sales will be on, the later you leave the shopping till the cheaper.

Central London will be more expensive:)

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Thanks Peter.

I only have half a day or so.. there is no choice of days to wait. Which is also why I’d prefer to shop in the city center to have more things close to me.
    So H&M on Oxford Street will be more expensive than H&M 30 minutes away by tube?

Also, are there any real malls in London? You know, like real big malls that just have all the stores in one place for tourists in a time crunch? And preferably not in the center then, if the center is more expensive ๐Ÿ˜€

Nyvo
    Participant
    @nyvo

@ArniVidar 133608 wrote:

Thanks Peter.

I only have half a day or so.. there is no choice of days to wait. Which is also why I’d prefer to shop in the city center to have more things close to me.
    So H&M on Oxford Street will be more expensive than H&M 30 minutes away by tube?

Also, are there any real malls in London? You know, like real big malls that just have all the stores in one place for tourists in a time crunch? And preferably not in the center then, if the center is more expensive ๐Ÿ˜€

Prices in chains like H&M are usually pretty consistant, so shouldnt be too much of a variation in price across London.

Shopping Centre/Mall wise, there is Westfield in Shepherds Bush (which is where I work), Westfield in Stratford, and Brent Cross. Westfield Stratford is the biggest by far.

I find that around Christmas, the best time to avoid queues is early morning. I did ALL of my Christmas shopping on the 23rd and 24th of December last year in the Westfield I work at, and on Oxford Street. Oxford Street especially was dead before midday.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Central London will have more high street stores, and therefor, be more expensive. But most the shopping is located there or at Westfield, so it would be the most convenient for you in regards of only having little time.

For shopping in London for friends etc that aren’t all freaks like me, I prefer to just start up at Oxford street if I know some stores there are perfect, walk down Regent Street and down to Picadilly. Can find most anything there, and it’s usually not as insane as Oxford Street. And you can always just skip into Soho ๐Ÿ™‚
    A bit off Oxford Street you’ve got Victorias Secret, so if you’re gonna shop for any girls, that’s the place to go :p

However; When it comes to clothes.. A lot of the stuff you’ll find for 30-40-50 pounds in H&M, Topshop etc stores like that, you’ll find for half that, by local designers, in Camden. I generally love Camden, because you can find so much fun stuff there! Lots of silly shops, plus stupid t-shirts, cheap shoes, clothes, art, all kinds of weird things.

H&M and typical chain stores will be more or less exactly the same price within one country. Might be some slight differences in what you can find at sales etc, but that’s about it. If you’re looking for more rare things, going off central is a good idea. Etc Apple Store. Anything new will be sold out in the most central shops, but might be easy to find a bit outside.

Nyvo
    Participant
    @nyvo

Camden is a good shout! ^

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Well I haven’t had any thoughts for gifts yet, but the only store I know for sure I need to see on Oxford is the Swarovski one, so I am in no way attached to walking the entire street if I can do more convenient/better shopping elsewhere. I’m single, so Victoria’s Secret will have to do without my business this year :p

I don’t remember ever truly “seeing” Soho. I’ve walked through but I was on a mission so I doubt I really noticed much going on.

I’ve never been to Camden before. Looking at the map I don’t see a real area distinction. Is Camden some select shopping streets (similar to Oxford) or is it just a neighborhood with shops here and there?

I know that for myself I’ll be buying some casual/semi casual dress shirts/pants/jackets, and I really don’t know the brands or the places to go for. I found a good selection in JC Penney’s in the states. They have some tailored/fitted/whateveryoucallit shirts for not stupid prices, and I would like to find something similar in London.

As it’s looking right now, I might actually decide to arrive a day early in London just for the clothes shopping, so I might have a bit more time to walk around the shops, and possibly see a few tattoo artists’ portfolios. ๐Ÿ˜€

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@ArniVidar 133635 wrote:

I’m single, so Victoria’s Secret will have to do without my business this year.

I bought more at Victoria’s Secret before I got married than I did after. Gifts that is!

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@Sam-I-Am 133636 wrote:

I bought more at Victoria’s Secret before I got married than I did after. Gifts that is!

What.. you just bought various lingerie and worked on finding women to fit them on?

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@ArniVidar 133637 wrote:

What.. you just bought various lingerie and worked on finding women to fit them on?

No, the gifts were for specific people.

Nice thought though. (Hey, are these yours? They look like something a person as beautiful as you would wear.) (Did you just drop these? They match your personality)(These must be yours. They have a very alluring scent)

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

+ they also sell clothes, perfume, make-up etc, so little sisters, mothers, friends who are girls etc might like it too without it being creepy :p

Camden is.. Unique. You have a main street, packed with shops. At just about every corner there is also different markets. Some of varying quality. At the top, you’ll reach Stables Market, which can be best described as complete insanity. So you can always just stick to that street (when you get of the subway at camden you’ll get which street it is…), though there are more shops in the surrounding area too. Pretty sure there is an H&M right off the subway, actually.
    No, but it’s awesome. Camden is alternative – it’s the punk part of London. Except it’s not just punk anymore, it’s also a lot of other kinds of unique stores and booths, local artists, food, etc. Really all kinds of things. And it’s packed with terrible tattoo studios. Some good, but a lot bad.

In regards to pants shirts etc… Regent street. There is a LOT of those kinds of shops in London. Hell, you can find decent shirts at Victoria Station.
    They’re everywhere. BUT London is more expensive than the states, so don’t expect the same prices ๐Ÿ™‚

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@Sam-I-Am 133638 wrote:

No, the gifts were for specific people.

I only buy underwear a significant other… not for my mom or sister or something like that :p

@poxphobia 133639 wrote:

+ they also sell clothes, perfume, make-up etc, so little sisters, mothers, friends who are girls etc might like it too without it being creepy :p

Do I look like the kind of guy that knows anything at all about make-up? ๐Ÿ˜€ Besides, the women around me are all pretty difficult to shop for, and I couldn’t just go and buy something for them. My mom and sister better make me a bloody list, though, before I go out there ๐Ÿ˜‰

@poxphobia 133639 wrote:

Camden is.. Unique. You have a main street, packed with shops. At just about every corner there is also different markets. Some of varying quality. At the top, you’ll reach Stables Market, which can be best described as complete insanity. So you can always just stick to that street (when you get of the subway at camden you’ll get which street it is…), though there are more shops in the surrounding area too. Pretty sure there is an H&M right off the subway, actually.
    No, but it’s awesome. Camden is alternative – it’s the punk part of London. Except it’s not just punk anymore, it’s also a lot of other kinds of unique stores and booths, local artists, food, etc. Really all kinds of things. And it’s packed with terrible tattoo studios. Some good, but a lot bad.

Guess that’s more of a place for browsing through when I have more time to enjoy what I’m seeing.

@poxphobia 133639 wrote:

In regards to pants shirts etc… Regent street. There is a LOT of those kinds of shops in London. Hell, you can find decent shirts at Victoria Station.
    They’re everywhere. BUT London is more expensive than the states, so don’t expect the same prices ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks. I’ll definitely have to go through there then. And I expect it’s not as cheap as the States, but I hope it’s cheaper than Iceland at least.

Aussie_Al
    Participant
    @aussie_al

wait wait wait wait wait – who do you follow? Chelsea or Arse-nil? ๐Ÿ˜€

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@Aussie_Al 133677 wrote:

wait wait wait wait wait – who do you follow? Chelsea or Arse-nil? ๐Ÿ˜€

Neither. I hate football ๐Ÿ™‚

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@ArniVidar 133699 wrote:

Neither. I hate football ๐Ÿ™‚

I have no time for American football or baseball. My son follows Chelsea (Soccer). I follow a little pro hockey (Flyers)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.