orphansparrow
Participant
@orphansparrow

hi there.

i am having trouble finding the right artist to do a realistic tattoo in new mexico. the ones i have researched don’t have enough realism in their portfolios for me to tell if i trust their skills completely. i don’t mind traveling out of state to get it done right, but their online portfolios must be extensive enough for me to fully understand their work.

so, can someone let me know who does the best realism right now? they must have some work online that i can look at to be sure.

thank you!

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

mike devries, cecili porter, joshua carton, nikko hurtado to name a few….

orphansparrow
Participant
@orphansparrow

thank you! i will look into those people when i get a chance. have a good day. 🙂

orphansparrow
Participant
@orphansparrow

alright, so i looked them up. they are all amazing artists!

mike devries stuff is SO detailed, probably even more so than i want for my tattoo. 😉 he’s very talented. and i love cecil porter’s use of color! i have a friend who paints that way. puts color in unexpected places, and it works so well. joshua carlton’s way of inking light into a portrait is amazing!

i saw nickko hurtado’s site but can’t find where he is located – do you know?

EDIT: i think though, that even though these are very good and realistic, i don’t want them to be so comic book arty. if that makes sense.

there is a style i’m interested in. it’s where there is not much, if any outline. it’s realistic, but soft, and not too detailed. here is an example. does anyone know someone who tattoos in that style?

Picture-5.jpg

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

What style of tat are you looking for? IE, are you looking for realistic Skulls and dark stuff, cartoony, wild life, portraits? I think it would be easier if we knew that because a lot of these guys focus on one particular area and are exceptional at it as opposed to just mastering realism.

orphansparrow
Participant
@orphansparrow

gsouder ~ well, the main tatoo i will be getting is of a lion. it will be black and grey. i really like realism, but not so detailed as the artists mentioned above. they are very talented, but because they are SO detailed, it seems almost a little less realistic to me, if that makes sense. i like some elements to be detailed, but the overall feel to look soft. don’t pay attention to the colors, but here are some more examples of the type of style i’m looking for:

tattoo4.jpg

i don’t think the above is even an actual tattoo, but still..

swt.jpg

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

well….keep looking. don’t settle.

orphansparrow
Participant
@orphansparrow

escapee – oh, i definitely won’t settle, i have been planning/deciding on my tatoos for over 5 years, and still haven’t settled! i may just have to stop being so particular and go get some flash at random. just kidding. 😉

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

tom renshaw. nikko is located in apple valley, ca.

orphansparrow
Participant
@orphansparrow

thanks yodaddy..i think tom renshaw is the most talented out of the suggestions so far.

anyone else have ideas? i’m still looking for someone with that particular style.

this forum has been really helpful. searching google just for “tattoo artists”, wasn’t helping me much.

thanks!

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

it looks like you are going for a more painterly style, rather than realism

orphansparrow
Participant
@orphansparrow

painterly. thanks rockysmom. that narrows it down further. i wonder if i should make a new thread then?

SeanKing
Participant
@seanking

Joshua Carlton is my favorite for the painterly stuff (I’m a little biased), but, there are so many great ones out there right now. I have been into Den Yakovlev, St. Marq, Jeff Gogue, Petri Syrjala lately. So many…

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Fwa Xyooj, he’s on Facebook. He’s amazing at black and grey. He’s relatively unknown. He loves tattooing big cats. I think he’s in Minneapolis.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.