tim s
    @

apprenticeship for 1 yr free and buy your equipment as well. the question is, is it realy worth it

tim s
    @

i am japanese and started to want to be a tattoo artist…but to be a tattoo artist, do you need to go to school?

wildbeauty123
    @

You go to a beauty school/course and you can do a specified course that specializes in it. It is very easy and should not take a lot of time.

Bren
    Participant
    @bren

i know in the uk you pay for a tattoo artist to teach you.

after you have bought your own equipment.

infallible
    Participant
    @infallible

two ways.

– apprenticeship from a professional tattooist. which rarely if ever is free.

-order some equipment and start scratching away.

if i was you, i’d focus less on the latter and get a proper apprenticeship.

yakuzaapprentiece
    Participant
    @yakuzaapprentiece

if i were any of ye i’d pay to get an apprentieceship although i’ve heard that in order to get one in some known shops over there might sometimes be a few of a few grand in dollars….i was quoted, (just as a reference), by an artist over there for 5,ooo dollars…but in the end it is worth it if you work hard and pull through it. Im from ireland and am an apprentiece tattooist and i am one of the lucky few in the world who had there apprentieceship handed to them free of charge……..who knows what you might have to do but do your research first and get some quotes on money figures from a few artists and then decide.

YakuzaApprentiece,
    Ireland

infallible
    Participant
    @infallible

always get an apprenticeship. Do it the right way or don’t do it at all. If you’re second guessing 5k then tattooing isn’t for you. it’s a career and serious one at that. go big or go home

robyn9882
    Participant
    @robyn9882

Yeah getting an appreticeship is the right way to go, but if you can’t get one right away then start yourself. It’s not hard to research things and buy equipment. Practice on oranges, dont waste your time buying the fake skin because It’s very hard to use. Make sure you learn about blood bourne pathogens and the correct way to sterilize and be clean. Practice practice practice and when you can get the apprenticeship take it. But when you think about it…who taught all the great tattooist how to tattoo???…themselves

jinny123
    Participant
    @jinny123

its not as if tattooing uis a new invention its been going on for hundreds of years in our society and thousands almost in others.

Who taught the great tattooists how to tattoo?

they got apprenticeships too you know and the people before them and the people before them.

Who would you refer to as the greats in the tattoo world?

sharp shorty
    Participant
    @sharp-shorty

Cory Cudney……………he started out on his own as a scratcher. He is one of the leading artists in realism today.

I’m not saying this is a good idea, I’m just answering the question.

I agree, spend the money and treat it like it’s a very special thing, because it is. It takes years to understand the fundamentals of the machine application properly, even when you’ve got someone there to teach you.

infallible
    Participant
    @infallible

@robyn9882 20749 wrote:

Yeah getting an appreticeship is the right way to go, but if you can’t get one right away then start yourself. It’s not hard to research things and buy equipment. Practice on oranges, dont waste your time buying the fake skin because It’s very hard to use. Make sure you learn about blood bourne pathogens and the correct way to sterilize and be clean. Practice practice practice and when you can get the apprenticeship take it. But when you think about it…who taught all the great tattooist how to tattoo???…themselves

are you kidding about just doing research? Yeah it’s not difficult to go buy a weak $90 kit and start blowing out lines and scarring tissue like it was your job. If you don’t give a shit about you, at least have the decency to take other peoples’ health into consideration. There’s a million and one tattooists…properly trained of otherwise….for every professional there’s 300 scratchers. We’ve got aids, among other diseases in the world. We don’t need a little jerk in his kitchen tat just tattooed a pig’s foot thinking he’s big time. some professionals now may have started by scratching…that doesn’t mean it’s ok for you to do that. We have enough idiots claiming the title of tattooist…DO IT RIGHT or DON’T DO IT AT ALL. Stop trying to cloud the water.

bandit 666
    Participant
    @bandit-666

@wildbeauty123 29 wrote:

You go to a beauty school/course and you can do a specified course that specializes in it. It is very easy and should not take a lot of time.

Hahahaha. No such thing my friend they are all rip offs. It can take three to five years to learn to tattoo properly and should be by apprenticeship ONLY.

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

I know alot of tattooists and must say all of them started off making coffee sweeping up and watching the pro’s work for a good year before doing the easiest of jobs, maybe colouring on a trusting friend or themselves (as is most common), never wondered why most tattoists have a few really heavy shite tattoos? Lots of practice on themselves, lol. A few I know spend 3 years at art college, just undestanding design and art in its own right, well woth it as these guys are the ones making the money the way it should be, using their mind and skill to adapt other choices rather than only able to copy a transfer, some have natural ability and vision, some need to be taught. If you can combine art college and an sweeping boy, coffe boy job into one then your onto a winner, although tattoo studios to people wanting to get in on it ratio is about 1000/1. It’s a long long strung out trail of effort and knock backs, only the persistant will make it. I’d have loved to do it but I get bored sitting in the chair all day getting tattooed, yet alone all week putting up with idiots chit chat and trying to remain slightly interested without feeling the need to hammer the fools.
    Good luck with your persuit, and please don’t end up another inpatiant amateur out of your league. We pay good money for good work, its just not right to have it any other way.
    All the best!!:cool:

bojie
    Participant
    @bojie

Everybody hates scratchers… Fact is in Arizona where I live there are no certification courses, no licenses, only a few rules we must follow which vary from county to county (spore tests, clean work environment, must be in permanent structure etc…) I guess in that regard every tattoo artist in Arizona is a scratcher. Another fact, even though most of the local shops here are run by self-upgraded scratchers, there are thousands of more scratchers out there which are better tattoo artists than whats available in the shops. How to become a tattoo artist in the US simply depends on the laws where you live. Many areas in Arizona have no regulations at all which is kinda scary lol! I’ve been tattooing 16 years, taught myself, built my parlor on my 2 1/2 acres, stidied BBP’s on my own, and don’t advertise except word of mouth. My reputation is my future so I treasure it like gold!

Joker1
    Participant
    @joker1
    wildbeauty123;29 wrote:

Funniest thing i’ve read in a while – what an idiot!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.