PHILSON
Participant
@philson

Hey all, so I am new to this forum (you can see my introduction post I just did) and I recently had a terrible experience with a tattoo. I believe I have been pretty smart in making my decisions as far as what tattoos I get, making sure to do my research on the artist, actually paying the right price as to get the quality of work I expect etc…I also give myself a 3 month rule, once I decide I want the piece I set my date to get it 3 months from that day, and if I still feel the same way about it, I go ahead. I am a sporadic person, but definitely not when it comes to tattoos, I think because my grandfather got a tattoo in the Navy in is youth on a whim and he hated it his entire life and would talk about it frequently…anyways, back to the main point. So I just came to my three month date of my newest tattoo and went in to get it done. The artist checked out, the shop was legitimate, the price for the time/size was just about right…everything seemed great right? We start on the piece which is another 8 bit video game tribute 9see my gallery if you want to see some of my other pieces) So while I am getting the tattoo from the artist (I will not name the shop or artist as I think it is wrong to bash an artist and or shop unless they purposely screwed you over, plus artists have to start somewhere, not everyone is going to be the best artist in the world overnight), his girlfriend/booty call/baby’s momma/whatever comes screeching off the street in her car and plowed through the front of the shop!! It happened so abruptly that the artist jumped and his hand slipped drawing this scattered, crooked line due to the movement of his hand. So now I am sitting here with a tattoo that is maybe 25-30% done and 8-bit so the lines have to be perfectly straight in order for it to look good, and there is this botched “line” if you want to call it that, where the artist’s hand slipped while the motor was running so it looks like Morse code cause the needled traveled across my arm and botched it. So to get even better, the artist completely turned his attention to this crazy girl that had just driven her car through the front of the shop!!! She gets out of the car and starts screaming bloody murder and of course the artist begins to yell back! They were yelling your baby this and cheating on me that etc…so I am sitting her like “uuuhhh hey man, are you going to at least say something about that line that completely just ruined the tattoo!?” This is when everything got really out of hand! She straight up linebacker tackled the artist and they began to get into a scuffle. I am sitting there in complete awe of what I am seeing all while looking at this tattoo that looks pretty good thus far on one side, then the other side is clean, up until the giant line due to the car crashing through the shop. I was so confused and flustered I did not know what to do and I did not want to wait around but also I did not want to not pay the guy (I feel that would go against my integrity, because hey, it wasn’t really his fault, well not directly at least) so I left $75 on the counter and got out of there. We were the only ones in the shop so it’s not like I could really resolve the situation with someone else. I have called the guy multiple times since and no answer and he is no longer working at the shop (I really hope this chick didn’t go postal on him!) So the situation I am in now is that many artists do not want to finish the work because a decent amount of the outline is done, but this line is horrendous! It completely ruins the original idea because now I have to have someone use that existing line and work it into the piece. I know it is not that big of a deal, but to me I wanted it to be a complete reproduction of the piece, now I know I am going to have to slightly modify it. On top of the, with the 8-bit work, having the lines be perfectly straight is what makes the tattoo…I have no idea how someone could fix this to make it straight (although I am not a coverup artist so I am sure there are many geniuses out there that could do it…I just need to find one…I live in the Los Angeles area, any suggestions would be soooo appreciated! It sucks because all my pieces, as I said earlier, are perfect in my eyes…this tattoo kills me to look at as I feel it takes away from the others… Does anyone else have any crazy mess up stories that are like this or…if possible…crazier!? I will post pictures later tonight or tom morning of this craziness. BTW, can’t wait to start really being a part of this community, hopefully I have found a new home ๐Ÿ˜€

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Wow what a story! That is the most amazing one I have heard.
I would talk to some tattooists and see if they can fix it otherwise get that line LASERed and with that story you should get a great discount. Another tattooist will not have a problem finishing it off under those circumstances.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

damn, that story is a winner, you gotta keep trying to get another artist to finish, you may need to hit a couple towns away from home, but with a good bit of work already done it would suck to have to resort to laser

Inkmywholebodi
Participant
@inkmywholebodi

Wow man that sucks. Im with mrchen here and gonna say try to see if someone can add on to fix it and make it what you really want. Or find that guy and make him pay for your laser, jk.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Lovely story, and definitely something that helps you remember that tattoo ๐Ÿ™‚

Have you considered just getting the mistake lasered (it can’t be very dark or wide since it was just one scratch) and then continue on with the tattoo sans mistake?

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I would leave the line, it definitely has a story behind it lol

PHILSON
Participant
@philson

Here is the tattoo…Link has a limp sword I know it is not that bad, but i would just have to have that lasered off I guess…I just hate having one piece that is not complete, an it is supposed to be in full 8-bit color (SNES Link sprite). here it is: aauus.jpg I know the story is much better than the results, I’m glad the damage was minimal, but still surprised the slide of his hand was able to create a line that long! Dude was tripping when she busted in and DUG into my skin, if you see it close up or higher res. the first point where he derived to botch it has some scarring under it cause it went straight through the epidermis…So you guys really think just laser off that part of the tattoo? How many sessions would you guys estimate that is? Cost as well?? Anything at all would be greatly appreciated!!

PHILSON
Participant
@philson

The artist also was clearly using tight rounds and the needle grouping of the needle bar was rather large since we were doing the 8-bit therein causing a much thicker line than if he were to be using a smaller grouping or (I wish) a single needle…

ArniVidar
@arnividar
peterpoose;112034 wrote:
I would leave the line, it definitely has a story behind it lol

Which would be better… a story and a perfect tattoo or a story and a botched tattoo? The story will be there regardless :p

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Cornishtiger, our resident laser expert, can probably give you a rough guesstimate for a price, but I’d think it shouldn’t be too expensive. Seeing as it’s so tiny,(surely they must charge (relatively thinking) per inch or square inch or something like that) it can’t take more than a couple of seconds each session and thus can’t be too expensive (not that I have the foggiest idea).

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose
ArniVidar;112038 wrote:
Which would be better… a story and a perfect tattoo or a story and a botched tattoo? The story will be there regardless :p

Perfection can come in many forms ๐Ÿ˜€ its perfect in an interesting way. well that’s my crazy out look on it anyhows lol

It doesn’t look like an imperfection to me although it is. Looks like he is spouting something, maybe water lol

ArniVidar
@arnividar
peterpoose;112040 wrote:
It doesn’t look like an imperfection to me although it is. Looks like he is spouting something, maybe water lol

Oh, how young you are. It’s an 8-bit tattoo. 8-bit water would never look anything like that ๐Ÿ˜€

PHILSON
Participant
@philson

Thanks for the info! Hopefully I can get a hold of Cornishtiger to speak in more detail about actually getting this done.

ArniVidar;112039 wrote:
Cornishtiger, our resident laser expert, can probably give you a rough guesstimate for a price, but I’d think it shouldn’t be too expensive. Seeing as it’s so tiny,(surely they must charge (relatively thinking) per inch or square inch or something like that) it can’t take more than a couple of seconds each session and thus can’t be too expensive (not that I have the foggiest idea).
ArniVidar
@arnividar

Send him a message ๐Ÿ™‚
http://www.thetattooforum.com/member.php?u=26973

If you’re in the UK, he’d doubtless be willing to fix that for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.