lutherd672
Participant
@lutherd672

Ok, so I’ve heard and read just about everything there is to hear and read about the laser removal process (which is, from what I understand, the only effective way to remove a tattoo). I don’t even really know what my question is but I have a fairly large piece with all the “special” colors for removal: Magenta, Green, Yellow, and Brown. Not only that, but it IS a cover up! Well, at least it has been outlined and colored twice. MY concern is, even if I were to be able to afford the 8 – 12 sessions that it would require for this tattoo, which is approximately the size of my entire bicep and stretches around the majority of the side of my arm, would it even be possible to remove at all considering it has been colored twice and it is large and all the hard colors to remove? Whew…..what a mouthful!! To be honest, I would be willing to just fade it with creams if they would fade and maybe in a couple years, try to laser process. I can provide a pic if that would be useful. Wu Tang!!:eek:

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Sure it’s possible, but you won’t truly know how effective it will be until you try.

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

So first point forget the creams if they worked I wouldnt be doing what I do.
Second point a ruby laser will remove all those colours but will be more expensive.
Thirdly if you have been told that 8 to 10 sessions will give total removal ask for a written guarantee and go for it. If your tattoo is all gone I will eat my head.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

agreed, the creams remove money but not ink,
8-12 sessions on a cover up with those colors probably isnt going to cut it,
why not lighten it enough to do a nice tattoo in its place?

lutherd672
Participant
@lutherd672

ok, so thanks to everyone for chiming in. Noone told me 8 to 10 sessions would completely get rid of it, I was just ballparking. I like the idea of lightening it enough for another in its place. If that is a possibility, that might be the avenue that I take. Thanks again.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Cornishtiger;107019 wrote:
a ruby laser will remove all those colours but will be more expensive.

Stupid question here, if it can even be answered in a Lasers for Dummies fashion:

What does the ‘ruby’ part of that sentence entail? Is the laser shot through an actual ruby or something? If so, why is that better than whatever is used in ‘normal’ lasers?

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger
ArniVidar;107136 wrote:
Stupid question here, if it can even be answered in a Lasers for Dummies fashion:

What does the ‘ruby’ part of that sentence entail? Is the laser shot through an actual ruby or something? If so, why is that better than whatever is used in ‘normal’ lasers?

Thats exactly where the ruby bit comes from sir.
Its all about frequencies, you need the right ones to react with different colours.
Ruby lasers put out light at the right frequencies for light blues and pinks, yellows and greens.
Sapphire lasers work on black and red.
The downside of the ruby laser is cost. I have a good amount of cash in my laser but no where near the £40k I would need for a Ruby.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Very cool! Thanks for the info 🙂

So you basically can’t remove anything other than black and red? Or can do it, but poorly?

Lizard King
Participant
@lizard-king

Laser works best on black ink, especially black ink on light skin as the color differential is greatest. The wavelength of the laser needs to match that of the color it is targetting. Yellows and greens are hard for a laser to target and white is particularly difficult. The risk of using lasers on white ink is due to the higher amount of iron oxide in the ink. Hitting that with a laser can cause the ink to turn gray or black and then it won’t come out (doesn’t break apart). Pastel colors often contain white ink and can be tricky as well.

Cornishtiger, correct me if I am wrong here.

Newer lasers, post 2006, can produce several different wavelengths (up to four) to target a variety of colors but you need to ask you practitioner what kind of lasers they have and how effective their machines are with these colors.

LK

sammathew
@

Hi lutherd672, I read about your tattoo and how desperately you want to get rid of it. You need not thing that much about the result. The very basic thing that you must do is to consult to a tattoo removal professional, only after that you will come to know how much time it is going to take. Since your tattoo is colored twice, it will take some sittings probably more than 10 to vanish, but you will get visible result in few sittings. I hope this help. Best of luck lutherd.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.