GetInChopper
Participant
@getinchopper

Hey guys, I’ve been thinking about getting a tattoo for the last 2 years now. My current who has a few tattoo’s of her own is the one who finally flipped-the-switch for me and now I think about getting it everyday haha.

As I mentioned in the title, my tattoo is somewhat Japanese inspired. I want it to read ‘perceptive powers’ in Japanese which translates to 知覚力. In English it sounds out to Chi-Kaku-Ryoku. I’ve also been thinking of adding a hannya mask demon face on the left side of it… I’ve come up with a proto-type which looks like this:
jikXn.jpg
I’m probably going to get it done on either the top part of my arm or by shoulder. On my shoulder it’ll be about 5 inches in width and 6-8 in length. On my arm probably slightly smaller (maybe 4 inches by 6inches).

Now a few questions to you veterans out there 😛
First off, this is my first tattoo ever, and because it’s Japanese I want to keep it as Japanese as possible. I am currently set on getting it done in Tebori style. For any of you that have had a tattoo done this way, is it much different than the machine style? Any different sort of post-care for the tattoo?
Also, I would imagine it’s a bit more expensive (and probably painful haha) this way since it’s by hand?

I’ve been checking out portfolio’s and artists.. I’m from Ottawa, Canada but it turns out I’m going to Los Angeles at the end of the month and there’s a tattoo shop called Onizuka Tattoo. I did a bit of research and I’ve been put on the cancelation list of their artist who does Tebori style; his name’s Horitaka. If it turns out I don’t get to have him do my tattoo, my next question is if there’s any artists in either Ottawa or Toronto that any of you know that does Tebori style (and is good at it).

Anyways, that’s all I have for now. Thanks 😀

P.S. Feel free (in fact I encourage) that if you have any other ideas about my tattoo please let me know! I bet some of you guys have wicked ideas 🙂

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

i have had tebori done and it takes A LOT longer than machine. the flip side is the colors are A LOT more vibrant and the pain is less than a machine.

looking at horitakas portfolio, i would say he is so so, even though he is part of the legendary horitoshi family. i dont know of any artists in toronto area that does good tebori, but if you want one of the best in the world i would suggest horiyen, though he is pretty tough to get an appointment and is pretty pricey. if you want someone a little eaiser to book but still awesome in tebori i can also suggest jack mosher (horimouja) who is currently tattooing out of high voltage (kat von d’s shop) and also out of my tattoos (horiyen’s shop).

GetInChopper
Participant
@getinchopper
yodaddynukka;112639 wrote:
i have had tebori done and it takes A LOT longer than machine. the flip side is the colors are A LOT more vibrant and the pain is less than a machine.

looking at horitakas portfolio, i would say he is so so, even though he is part of the legendary horitoshi family. i dont know of any artists in toronto area that does good tebori, but if you want one of the best in the world i would suggest horiyen, though he is pretty tough to get an appointment and is pretty pricey. if you want someone a little eaiser to book but still awesome in tebori i can also suggest jack mosher (horimouja) who is currently tattooing out of high voltage (kat von d’s shop) and also out of my tattoos (horiyen’s shop).

Thanks for the info! I checked out both Horiyen and Jack Mosher’s works and they seem really good. Do you know off the top of your head roughly how much I’d be looking at paying for each? If it’s more than $200 per hour I’m not sure if I’d be interested 😛

Also, would you mind to share what your tebori style tattoo looks like? I’d love to see it if you have a pic on hand!

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

you might want to pass on horiyen if you dont want to pay 200/hr, lol. but i think mosher is a lot cheaper, but dont quote me on that as i do not have work from him nor have i ever contacted him.

here is a pic from the hell city convention last year in arizona…

2011-08-27210057.jpg

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Thats is or will be an awesome backpeice!

GetInChopper
Participant
@getinchopper
yodaddynukka;112650 wrote:
you might want to pass on horiyen if you dont want to pay 200/hr, lol. but i think mosher is a lot cheaper, but dont quote me on that as i do not have work from him nor have i ever contacted him.

here is a pic from the hell city convention last year in arizona…

2011-08-27210057.jpg

Wow! That’s an awesome piece. I see what you mean by the ink getting in better/being more vibrant. I’ll have to continue doing my research on which artist I’ll end up going with.

Here’s a question relating to tattoo conventions, since you’ve been to one :P. There is one the weekend of my birthday in Toronto from June 15th to the 18th. At that convention are many talented artists, of which some are tebori style artists. How would one go about getting a tattoo from them? I heard from a co-worker that the artists already have a piece in their mind that they want to do and that’s the one you go with? Is this true or are there some booths where you have the choice in what tattoo you get?

Btw thanks for sharing the tattoo and answering my question. You’ve been really helpful!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.