deathrage
Participant
@deathrage

I have a tattoo that i want to get and i took my idea to the best local tattoo artist that i know (word of mouth never got a tat from him) i have looked at books of his work and it looks good, however he said something that kinda makes me worry. He said he doesn’t like to draw out his work on paper, he likes to draw it on the skin and work from there. In a way that makes sense, however it doesnt sit right with me. Is this normal practice for some tattoo artists? All the tattoos that i have had in the past (two of them) were simple and diddnt really need any fancy work. But this is a big tat (shoulder/arm piece) that i am trying to have some important things incorporated into.

I guess to make the question simple. As a group of people who have more experience than me. would you trust this guy to give you a tattoo?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

the best artists draw large pieces, especially if it is not a flat body part, flat drawing doesnt make good stencil, better to draw on skin

ChrisvK
Participant
@chrisvk

hell yeah would i trust him (if his portfolio is awesome)
A piece that goes from your shoulder to your arm needs to flow with your body or it will look weird and out of place, the only way he can do that is to design it on your body instead of a flat area.
Just my 2 cents

Zorba
Participant
@zorba

Some of the most awesome tattoos I’ve seen have been totally freehand.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I know a lot of tattoo artists that use sharpie markers and draw right on the skin and they look great. I hate using this method personally. I think that a second or third draft of a drawing is always going to be better than a first draft. You can only do a first draft on the skin. Using stencils and drawing ahead of time lets me be able to plan ahead and have a finished, refined drawing and a perfect stencil. I also know what shapes of drawings work on different parts of the body so I can plan that ahead as well.

deathrage
Participant
@deathrage

thanks for the advice. I asked him to just put a few sketches on paper first just to know that we are all on the same page, then when its time he will do it all fee hand on the skin. ill be getting this particular tat in about 4 weeks, that was the soonest he had a full 6 hours to get it all done. Ill throw up some pics when its all done.

BananaBread
Participant
@bananabread

Sounds like you are in good hands. Looking forward to seeing the final result!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.