athousandtimes
Participant
@athousandtimes

I’m thinking a lot about my next tattoo and am a little worried about how sun exposure might lead to fading over time. I live in California and do a lot of outdoors stuff and see a lot of sun year round. I do a lot of sports and beach without a shirt usually. I’m tan but pretty much never burn, even after multiple hours in direct sun and no sunscreen.

Should I go for black or black/grey instead of color, knowing my tattoo is going to see a lot of sun? Should I avoid certain colors? Will fine line stuff fade quicker than less detailed work?

I was also thinking the calf would be a good placement for my next tattoo, but am now wondering if I should go for the rib cage/abdomen so it would not be exposed when I’m outside in shorts and a shirt…

What do you guys think? any input appreciated

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Yeah sunlight is bad for tattoo’s you could get some sunblock, certainly avoid getting white on your tattoo as it will turn a horrible brown color. If i was you i would get black and grey.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

sun is a tattoo killer, it will ruin a tattoo, black and grey or color, doesnt matter.

if youu wont protect the piece with spf 70 and as little exposure as possible, I wouldnt get tattooed……ink aint for sun lovers

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

The sun and tattoos don’t mix period black and grey or color it doesn’t matter. Plan on after your tattoo heals to be putting sunscreen on it multiple times a day otherwise you will be walking around with a unidentifiable blob on you for the rest of your life.

m33k
Participant
@m33k
mrchen;101586 wrote:
sun is a tattoo killer, it will ruin a tattoo, black and grey or color, doesnt matter.

if youu wont protect the piece with spf 70 and as little exposure as possible, I wouldnt get tattooed……ink aint for sun lovers

Allot of people who have tattoos also LOVE the sun, so thats “bullshit” ๐Ÿ˜‰
If you use sunblock, that should be fine.

Amok
Participant
@amok
m33k;115526 wrote:
Allot of people who have tattoos also LOVE the sun, so thats “bullshit” ๐Ÿ˜‰
If you use sunblock, that should be fine.

No, their tattoos look like “bullshit” or they will after a few years of sun exposure.

Example:

618px-Bullshit.jpg

m33k
Participant
@m33k
Amok;115527 wrote:
No, their tattoos look like “bullshit” or they will after a few years of sun exposure.

Example:

618px-Bullshit.jpg

Well, maybe soo. I just got my first tattoo 1,5 month ago. I just dont want that too be true. I wanna be on the sun and i am going too…

If it will fade, thats fine. I can just get it done again after a couple of years…

But i hope it will not fade too fast. Its in black, and i did made a post about its healing.

But if you always use sunblock, that will prevent it from fading? People who gets tattoo:s dont become vampires….
Im sure there are allot of folks in the sun and their tattoo:s looks great anyway?

And your example was out of order. It wil not look like shit. It will just maybe fade and be a little bit grey, if it was first black. But it can still be pretty/cool/awesome or whatever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
m33k;115530 wrote:
Well, maybe soo. I just got my first tattoo 1,5 month ago. I just dont want that too be true. I wanna be on the sun and i am going too…

If it will fade, thats fine. I can just get it done again after a couple of years…

But i hope it will not fade too fast. Its in black, and i did made a post about its healing.

But if you always use sunblock, that will prevent it from fading? People who gets tattoo:s dont become vampires….
Im sure there are allot of folks in the sun and their tattoo:s looks great anyway?

And your example was out of order. It wil not look like shit. It will just maybe fade and be a little bit grey, if it was first black. But it can still be pretty/cool/awesome or whatever. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sunblock won’t protect you 100%, but it most certainly helps. The bottom line is that if your ink is exposed to the sun often, it’s going to fade a lot faster than it would otherwise. It’s not just a matter of the ink fading though. Sun exposure also causes the ink to breakdown and get released into your body, the long-term effects of which no one is really certain yet. That said, some of us ink lovers are also outdoorsmen (like me). When I’m going to be out in the sun I use sunblock though (SPF 30+) and I don’t go tanning on the beach more than 2-3x a year (if at all).

m33k
Participant
@m33k
D3FiANC3;115531 wrote:
Sunblock won’t protect you 100%, but it most certainly helps. The bottom line is that if your ink is exposed to the sun often, it’s going to fade a lot faster than it would otherwise. It’s not just a matter of the ink fading though. Sun exposure also causes the ink to breakdown and get released into your body, the long-term effects of which no one is really certain yet. That said, some of us ink lovers are also outdoorsmen (like me). When I’m going to be out in the sun I use sunblock though (SPF 30+) and I don’t go tanning on the beach more than 2-3x a year (if at all).

Well. I did make my on my left underarm. Soo that area is often exposed to the sun. I just need to wear a tshirt and the sun shines on it. So i dunno…
Yeah, i also use 30+ sunblock now after 1,5 month. I took a swim and was in the sun today..
But i live in sweden, soo its not THAT much of a sun. But that doesnt matter i guess.

You only go to the beach to tan 2-3 times a year? Well, i had some years i did not tan at all, but now i live temporary by the “beach”, and i like the sun. But i also DONT want to ruin my tattoo which i did.

I did not think about this sun thing when i got a tattoo, but i will just put sunblock and see what happens with time.
When it looks bad, i can just go and fill in it again, right? Its a fairly simple tattoo…
Pic from the same day i did it: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/341/overviewe.jpg/

But when i just go around walking in the nature and the sun is “exposed”. Thats just an element you cant control. Soo if it gets faded, i will just get it filled again after some years. (?)

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
m33k;115532 wrote:
You only go to the beach to tan 2-3 times a year? Well, i had some years i did not tan at all, but now i live temporary by the “beach”, and i like the sun. But i also DONT want to ruin my tattoo which i did.

Yeah I live 2.5 hours from the beach so I rarely get down there. Besides, too much tanning can add 10-20 years to your skin, not to mention skin cancer. I’d like to keep my youthful good looks into my later years. ๐Ÿ˜‰

m33k
Participant
@m33k
D3FiANC3;115535 wrote:
Yeah I live 2.5 hours from the beach so I rarely get down there. Besides, too much tanning can add 10-20 years to your skin, not to mention skin cancer. I’d like to keep my youthful good looks into my later years. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Alright;) Thats fine with me. I like the sun thou. And it gives you vitamin D. Soo ts not too bad.
And im “young”, soo i dont care about skin cancer. People rarely get it, and sun dont age your skin. You look more healty and soo on i think.
Well. I am going to be in the sun and nature anyways, and then the tattoo will adapt and i can refill later on if i wish.
Peace. Now sleep. *gone*

Amok
Participant
@amok

I try to get 20-30 mins of sun per day (except in winter). I just cover my tattoos with sunblock or a shirt. As long as you’re not out in the midday sun for hours on end its fine.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
m33k;115536 wrote:
Alright;)
And im “young”, soo i dont care about skin cancer. People rarely get it

Nope it will never happen to you.
Every year, more than 500,000 new cases of skin cancer are diagnosed, they account for one-third of all new cancers.

You sir are retarded

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
m33k;115536 wrote:
Alright;) Thats fine with me. I like the sun thou. And it gives you vitamin D. Soo ts not too bad.

I like the sun too and as I said, I am outdoors all the time, but I’m wise enough not to go out baking in it except on rare occasions.

m33k;115536 wrote:
And im “young”, soo i dont care about skin cancer. People rarely get it, and sun dont age your skin. You look more healty and soo on i think.

Well we can tell you’re young by your comments. We were all that stupid once. ๐Ÿ™‚ And sure, everyone likes a nice tan, but if you do it too often you will pay the price by the time you hit your 40s because excess sun exposure most certainly does age your skin.

Most premature aging is caused by sun exposure.” (Source)

“You may walk away from the beach with a suntan, but that’s not all you’re getting. Excessive sun exposure is responsible for most of the sun damage associated with aging skin. This sun damage accumulates slowly over time and starts at an early age. While some of the sun damage is merely cosmetic, other effects, such as skin cancer, are more serious.” (Source)

I get it though. You’re young and going to do what you’re going to do. We’re just trying to educate you.

buttwheat;115540 wrote:
Nope it will never happen to you.
Every year, more than 500,000 new cases of skin cancer are diagnosed, they account for one-third of all new cancers.

You sir are retarded

/nods

Amok
Participant
@amok
D3FiANC3;115541 wrote:

Well we can tell you’re young by your comments. We were all that stupid once. ๐Ÿ™‚

He might be old and stupid.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.