Anonymous231
Participant
@anonymous231

How do you differentiate between a bruise and migrating ink?

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

A bruise will go away

Anonymous231
Participant
@anonymous231

Yep, I got that. I meant in the mean time. I was told certain tattoo bruises can take up to 2 months to heal. Just wondering if there was a way to tell the difference during those two months. I’ve gotten two different stories from two different artists.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

post a pic

Anonymous231
Participant
@anonymous231

I don’t know how to add a photo here. But here is a link…

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz345/marybethg2312/IMAG0078.jpg

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

IMAG0078.jpg

Mary Beth that looks like a bruise to me. How old is it? Has it moved? Looks like the inner arm to me, The inner arm is easily bruised. If it s a bruise it will start to fall down your arm a bit.
Ink migration or a true blow out is when the needle goes through all the layers off skin an is absorbed by the surrounding skin/fatty tissue, It looks to be a bit spread out to be a blow out.

Anonymous231
Participant
@anonymous231

It is 11 days old. The entire inner arm was initially bruised for about three days. That showed up around day five. It hasn’t moved or changed colors which is what was causing my concern. In person it is a bit darker. The lines seem fine to me, just the outer flesh turned that blueish color. The artist who did it said it was bruising and I was satisfied with that. Until another artist saw it and told me that it was a major blowout and needed to be covered.

I want it to be a bruise because I absolutely love the tattoo as it is. And I know I will find out eventually, just the wait is torturing me. It’s not sensitive at all. No color changes, no movement. If this is a bruise, could I expect to see color changes any time soon? I’ve heard that bruising and blowouts are common on inner bicep tattoos and I’ve never experienced this before, so I am a little lost.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

11 days oh I’m sorry Mary Beth But that really sounds like a blow out to me now. maybe someone else will chime in.

Anonymous231
Participant
@anonymous231

If it is a blowout and needs to be covered… How long should I wait? Should I go back to the original artist or seek out a new one? If I go back to the original artist, should I expect the cover to be free or at an additional cost? I tan in the summer, so if I didn’t cover it, would the blowout fade to the point of not seeing it?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

You could just wait and see if the bruising eventually go’s away?

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun
Wardy;101440 wrote:
You could just wait and see if the bruising eventually go’s away?

This is your best bet for now, unfortunately. It really takes a good 6-8 weeks for a tattoo to heal to the point where you know what it will look like. Your just around 2 weeks now, the skin is too tender and still healing so trying to cover or add to it now will only end up compounding the issue.

You’re going to have this on you for the rest of your life. Just let things settle down and see what you end up with, then go speak to your artist about it. Most good ones will work with you on a solution, but if you don’t like what you hear, go get a second opinion.

Good luck with it. Don’t stress too much about it for now, I’m sure it will work out fine.

emilyann88
Participant
@emilyann88

@Anonymous231

may I ask what the outcome of this was? I have a week old tattoo on my outer forearm, and have tattoos all over, and have a lesser version of this going on. thanks!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

@emilyann88 147256 wrote:

hello,

may I ask what the outcome of this was? I have a week old tattoo on my outer forearm, and have tattoos all over, and have a lesser version of this going on. thanks!

This is a 5 year old thread

emilyann88
Participant
@emilyann88

I realize that. OP never updated and I imagine they have not forgotten a tattoo on their own body, especially if it had an instance worth remembering.

In the off chance they’re still getting notifications from the forum why not at least try, I thought.

Dan
Participant
@dan

@emilyann88 147262 wrote:

I realize that. OP never updated and I imagine they have not forgotten a tattoo on their own body, especially if it had an instance worth remembering.

In the off chance they’re still getting notifications from the forum why not at least try, I thought.

hi and welcome to the forum 🙂 , do you have a question about blow out vs bruising ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.