jdougal
Participant
@jdougal

I am planning to get my first tattoo in the coming weeks. The artist is currently coming up with the final drawing etc. My question is there anything I should look at as far as quality of the artist. I’ve seen some of his work, and looks good to me. But honestly I don’t know what I should be looking for etc. I know little of art etc and even less of tattoo techniques.

Also I had a quesiton on pricing/tips. He is offering to do my work for $80/hr which seems reasonable to me. What is a normal tip?

Any advice would be greatly apperciated.

Adler
Participant
@adler

If you can post a link to his shop and work we can let you know if the artist is any good or not. Actually $80/hr is cheap, that scares me a little. Tipping is always highly debated, people have different opinions. What are you getting done and do you have any idea about how long it’s expected to take? That would effect the amount of tip of course.

jdougal
Participant
@jdougal
Adler;82897 wrote:
If you can post a link to his shop and work we can let you know if the artist is any good or not. Actually $80/hr is cheap, that scares me a little. Tipping is always highly debated, people have different opinions. What are you getting done and do you have any idea about how long it’s expected to take? That would effect the amount of tip of course.

He mostly works from home, where he has a studio. However that’s in a different state so I will be going to a local shop. The rate is a discounted rate due to my profession.

I am getting a half sleeve, which is a family crest and then armor on my arm. Estimated time was two three hour secessions or three two hour secessions depending on how I’m able to handle it.

Here’s some of his work that was provided.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

You can’t link to pictures in another forum that requires registration and logging in.

Adler
Participant
@adler

Pictures aren’t showing. Again, different people feel differently about tipping but my opinion is I would tip a little after each session, maybe $20-50 depending on how long each session is.

jdougal
Participant
@jdougal
ArniVidar;82899 wrote:
You can’t link to pictures in another forum that requires registration and logging in.
Adler;82900 wrote:
Pictures aren’t showing. Again, different people feel differently about tipping but my opinion is I would tip a little after each session, maybe $20-50 depending on how long each session is.

Thanks, I’ll get photos posted in a second.

jdougal
Participant
@jdougal

ArniVidar
@arnividar

For me, the shapes and shading on that first one is a disaster (one of the guns looks like it’s leaking), the second one is hideous in every aspect, the third is too dark/far away to properly see anything but the fourth (the very simple tribal) seems to be pretty good, although that, too, is too dark and too far away to see properly.

Brian@Inkbox
Participant
@brianinkbox

I have to agree on the first one…the shadeing is a disaster, I’ve seen prison tattoo’s with better artistic eye, lol. AND…I dont want to comment on the second one…third one…cmon’ , its a frickin tribal, lol, color between the lines….the forth picture, ok, but kind of wandering on the color scheme of the bio, in my opinion, but the shapeing and textureing look decent. OVER ALL…I would shop around, there are great artists out there…look at their drawings…at the tattoo’s they have done…hell, for that matter, pick up a tattoo magazine…that will show you the differance between a tattoo, and a quality tattoo. Good luck!

Brian@Inkbox
Participant
@brianinkbox

Ok, lol, I was out of order on the third and forth tattoo’s…but you get it, lol!

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I would keep looking for a better artist. Your tattoo will be with you for the rest of your life. Better make it a good one. Where are you located? Someone familiar with your area should be able to refer you to a good, reputable, talented tattoo artist.

jdougal
Participant
@jdougal

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Back to the drawing board.

Adler
Participant
@adler
Brian@Inkbox;82914 wrote:
Ok, lol, I was out of order on the third and forth tattoo’s…but you get it, lol!

lol. Yeah i agree lol but keep looking lol for more artists lol and post up some links for us to check out lol. There’s a lot of good artists and shops lol, take your time. lol

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.