SedatedLabMonkey
Participant
@sedatedlabmonkey

i want to get a tattoo of my daughters name, but hidden in a tattoo…ive seen many tattoos, for example a tribal tattoo that looks like someones favorite animal, but a word “inside” the tattoo…im not sure if i was just initials or the whole name…any ideas?

Name: Onyx Dawn Loyd

i dont want anything extreme or flashy…please…

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

It really depends on how big you wish to go with the tattoo. Obviously the larger the space the more detail and the longer the name you can fit into it.

There are a number of ways that your daughter’s name can be incorporated into a tattoo from having it placed within the shape of the tattoo (completely hidden) to having the initials put in as small detail such as initials on a pocket watch etc.

I have seen a number where the tattoo shape is formed from the name and a fave passage or poem, with the words creating the shape outline – birds and butterflies are a popular one for this.

What style did you have in mind?

Take Care
Matthew

suzridesahog
Participant
@suzridesahog

I am sorry for your loss! Was she old enough to establish likes and dislikes? MAybe she likes something in particular. Use that image and go from there.

SedatedLabMonkey
Participant
@sedatedlabmonkey

@Sherav: well i have something covering 70% of the upper portin of my left arm…i dont want anything to big, maybe a little smaller than the one i have now…

@Suzridesahog
: she was 22 min. old…they never even let me hold her…she died on 1/1/11 oddly enough…maybe i can use that? any ideas?

suzridesahog
Participant
@suzridesahog

I am so sorry! I wonder is some kind of numerology would make for a good rememberance tattoo. Or… I might wait until the hurt isn’t so new and raw.
Here are a couple of idea that you and an artist could discuss:
New Years Day
Garnet, the brthstone of January… perhaps a jewel
Carnation, the birth flower of January. Carnation is love, fascination, and distinction (per some website I found)
Characteristics of Capricorn : Stable, Trustworthy, Persistent, Ambitious & Patient (again, per some website i came accross) http://www.birthstones.org.uk/birth-month-flowers/january-birth-flower.htm
Good luck!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Good ideas Miss Hog

SedatedLabMonkey
Participant
@sedatedlabmonkey

thanks ill definitely consider those suggestions…anymore?

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

i dunno………..i wouldn’t want to immortalize a sad experience with ink………

one time over at the other place we had a woman who wanted to tattoo a portrait of her deceased newly born child on herself…………

she even posted pictures of said dead baby……….:eek:

now that thread turned pretty brutal………..

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

I have to agree with reefdiver. Although, I think there is a difference between memorializing the good times vs. something sad. I’m doing something that my family and friends are calling a “memorial” tattoo… but I don’t see it that way. I’m not doing a portrait, or a date etc. I’m taking something I love, and incorporating some elements that remind me of my grandmother to create something unique. I’ve been told “people aren’t going to know it’s a memorial”…. that’s GREAT as far as I’m concerned. I just want them to see a kick ass tatt…. and I’ll be seeing a beautiful piece that just happens to have been influenced by someone I love.

On that note…. this may sound completely strange, but with a January birthdate, Capricorn would be the goat… what about incorporating a baby goat into a tattoo?

Yes, I have a strange mind… but I tend to think of obscure references rather than the typical cliche symbols.

SedatedLabMonkey
Participant
@sedatedlabmonkey

im not trying to remember a bad time either, my uncle has both his kids names on his arm, not like copying him or anything but id like to do that to…not a “woe is me” tattoo, more of a “im happy she was mine” tattoo…ya see?

and id go brutal on that idiot, whatever her name is, thats just plain wrong…but anyways…

ummm…i dont think i want a baby goat lol but i do see what your saying…i dont want veryone to see a memorial tattoo either, just a beautiful piece of art…if everyone comes up to me every 5 min. saying something, it wont ever “heal properly”…i want smethin i can look at and remember my daughter…not her passing…

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx
SedatedLabMonkey;79733 wrote:
ummm…i dont think i want a baby goat lol but i do see what your saying…i dont want veryone to see a memorial tattoo either, just a beautiful piece of art…if everyone comes up to me every 5 min. saying something, it wont ever “heal properly”…i want smethin i can look at and remember my daughter…not her passing…

I’m glad you got the gist of what I was saying even with the odd reference. LOL…. I think you’re definitely on the right track. It’s hard with her passing so quickly to come up with something meaningful. I think you have to look at it from your own feelings… what did you feel or think about or enjoy at the time when you found out you were having a daughter. What did that symbolize to you? As much as you want this tattoo right now, don’t rush it. Give yourself some time to think, heal, rethink, and eventually you will come up with something that speaks to you. I originally wanted some kind of memorial…. that was 4 years ago. I would decide what it should be and then wait 3-6 months and see if that’s what I wanted. It’s taken that long for me to find something that I thought was a good idea long term. Right now, I’m glad I didn’t run out and get any of my first thoughts.

SedatedLabMonkey
Participant
@sedatedlabmonkey

i agree, ive always done that, i see what i like, then find something actually do-able…then refine it, smooth it out, etc etc…beside the passing, it sucks she didnt develope a “like”, such as suzridesahog recomended, which would have been my 1st choice…if only she liked baby goats, heard that somewhere haha

i dont know…i just feel strongly about incorporating “new years” in the tattoo somehow…thats all i can “link” to her…

suzridesahog
Participant
@suzridesahog

Don’t force it. It will come in time.
how is your wife and what does she think?

SedatedLabMonkey
Participant
@sedatedlabmonkey

well we arent married, this kind of put a stop to everything, even for my work…but she seems perfectly fine, as if nothing ever happened…which kind of others me, i mean i dont WANT her to be sad or anything which is a given, but cmon…no feelings about it? i figured she, if anyone, would have a harder time than i am…you know? owell…maybe hasnt hit her yet…

what do you (guys and gals) think about the new years “theme”? thats all i can relate to it…but like you all said, dont rush, which i wont…i want it to be perfect…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.