Toblerina
Participant
@toblerina

Hey there,

This is a really stupid problem – so apologies.

I am a married mother of 2 and 28 years old… but we live in an annex next to my parent’s house.

I already have a number of tattoos – some my parents are aware of and some they are not. As you have probably gathered they are pretty anti-tattoo….

Anyway, long story short – my 2 year old daughter got bitten by a dog last week – she is fine and was very very lucky…. I really want to get a tattoo on my upper arm that i have wanted done for some time – partly to commemorate this…. but Mum and Dad are pulling the emotional blackmail and telling me how much it would upset, that it would be a slap in the face etc etc etc…

Now – whats your advice about how to deal with this? It’s something i feel strongly about and i resent the fact that although i’m an adult that they are holding me to account in this way. On the other hand we usually have a pretty good relationship and i do pretty much have to live with them…………. This is making me mad! lol

Any words of wisdom?!?

Ben1985
Participant
@ben1985

Your body and your ink. If they don’t like it – tough really.

Toblerina
Participant
@toblerina

I know – i’m obviously a bit of a coward! 🙂

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

If you still rely on them for support (emotional or monitary) it may be in your best interest to respect thier wishes. Chances are, you will still be able to get this done sometime down the road.

You want to comemorate your daughter getting bit by a dog??????

Toblerina
Participant
@toblerina

You have a good point. And i want to commemorate the fact that she didn’t lose half her face but only had a couple of stitches in her lip and that it won’t scar – like i said she was very lucky.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

Hmm. Sounds similar to my Mother. She hates tattoos. She knows I have a rather large one, and that I’m going to get more, but I still just cover them up around her, out of respect.
I’ll just throw a short sleeve sweater or something on over a tank top, or not wear a backless dress around her. I call it my mom uniform.
It keeps tension low. It’s just not worth a fight.

Glad your daughter is fine. Dog bites can be nasty.

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx
Toblerina;71710 wrote:
You have a good point. And i want to commemorate the fact that she didn’t lose half her face but only had a couple of stitches in her lip and that it won’t scar – like i said she was very lucky.

You get a tattoo to “commemorate” the fallen heros of 9/11 or maybe the birth of a child or the loss of a loved one, but not to “commemorate” the luckyness of your daughter. Just my 2cents.
If you just want to get a tattoo, thats cool.
Lucky charms are always cool tats. You should get the Kanji Symbol for luck tattooed on the back of your neck. Never seen that done before. JK.

FunhouseTattoo
Participant
@funhousetattoo

Hey! You yourself mentioned in your post that your ink is something you feel strongly about. Go for it! Whatever makes you happy!

Toblerina
Participant
@toblerina
xxTOPDOGxx;71721 wrote:
You get a tattoo to “commemorate” the fallen heros of 9/11 or maybe the birth of a child or the loss of a loved one, but not to “commemorate” the luckyness of your daughter. Just my 2cents.
If you just want to get a tattoo, thats cool.
Lucky charms are always cool tats. You should get the Kanji Symbol for luck tattooed on the back of your neck. Never seen that done before. JK.

Fair enough. You got your way – i got mine 🙂

I know i should just go what’s important to me – just not feeling the guilt trip that will result.

However, some of the other posters have made some good points about respecting your parents etc… i guess i just gotta ‘man up’ lol

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

I think as long as you and your family can survive on your own, you should just go ahead and get it. Also, i have never understood why some parents allow something like piercing and tattoos to damage their relationships with their children. It really quite foolish.

WonderInk6
@

I think you should think about it more. If it is really going to upset your parents to the point that your relationship will be damaged then don’t do it
**Link removed**

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.