AngryBeaver007
Participant
@angrybeaver007

So I was planning on getting a red ink tattoo on my left forearm but I keep reading about how red ink causes allergies and whole wave of problems. The point is, I want to know if it’s all being exaggerated or if this is really a big deal?

wickedjr89
Participant
@wickedjr89

I don’t really know. It depends on the person. Both my tats consist of red ink (the 2nd entirely so actually) and I havent had any issues. Except now I got a pimple on the side of my 2nd…o.O could be an actual pimple…or my excema…which I doubt or something to do with the a+d but its only one so I don’t think I have anything to worry about. I’ll see what it does. I have heard alot of people do end up with an allergy to red ink but I don’t know of any way to know if your allergic to it before actually getting a tatoo with red ink though. Alot of people I’ve seen have no problems with it but it does seem to be the most likely to cause an allergic reaction from what i’ve heard. Not actually sure what it would do though.

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

I just had alot of red ink added to my sleeve a few weeks ago, with zero problems. I’ve heard the same thing, also heard it takes along time to heal. I heal slow anyways and it took about the same amount of time as other colors.

I get pimples on fresh tats, I think its due to the aquaphor, I don’t pop it, normally it just goes away.

wickedjr89
Participant
@wickedjr89

Yea it will prolly just go away so im a leave it alone. Right now my tatoo just started to itch…I hate this part! lol I know don’t scratch it 🙂 Anyway actually I just remembered I think one of my friends is allergic to red ink she said but I ferget exactly what it does other than I do remember her saying it won’t stay in her skin so a tatoo she wants is going to have to be done in black and white. In fact I don’t think it did anything else at least nothing major.

katdiablo
Participant
@katdiablo

I have red poppies. healed just like any other ink.. as long as the ink is “good” quality, I believe the allergy thing is a myth.

Chapter2
Participant
@chapter2

i dont know if i would go as far as saying its a myth more of a mystery if anything else,Tattoo pigments have come along way(hypo allergenic,vegan or what not) but Red seems to be the only color that causes the most reactions,Back in the day i believe the reds had a mercury Base(which since the removal of mercury reactions have dropped drastically)but reactions still exist.Now the Mystery of it is,ask your local hair dresser what color hair dye do they have allergic reactions to…..red…..:eek:reds just seem to be that color that chemists cant fiuse out, i dont know,,,just my 2 cents,if you that concerned about it,ask your artist next time your there getting work to put a red dot on you(somewhere inconspicuous) and wait a day or two,if it heals fine your good to go

AngryBeaver007
Participant
@angrybeaver007

well I went to a tattoo shop and asked for the tattoo and when the guy at the shop saw that it was red ink he told me I should get it in black ink. He said that it was because the red ink tends to fade out quickly and mess up and that in a couple of years I would have to go back to fix it. I know that all tattoos fade over time but is this also true? Is red ink this troublesome?

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

i got quite a lot of red work done and had no trouble with it , you could have a little teeny weeny test area done to see if you have any problems

Chapter2
Participant
@chapter2

all ink can fade over time,now black red and blue in my opinion hold up the best,look at old military and sailors tattoos,reds even after 30 years are still there(mybe not as brite)but still there,lol,but on the artist defense reds suck to work with,,,,oooo so messy:p

X-pressive
Participant
@x-pressive

Never had much trouble with red inks. Alot of the trouble will come from either not being worked into the skin correctly………Or overworking of the skin, will lead to major colour loss and scarring, weeping etc.
So many inks on the market these days. Ink does fade with time, like anything.
In my experience. If your colour falls out….? It hasnt been done professionally.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.