TargetTattoo
    Participant
    @targettattoo

I have a question regarding the legal stuff about getting a tattoo of a copyrighted image. For example, I am a huge fan of the Indianapolis colts. If I get a tattoo of the horseshow image that is their logo is that against the copyrighting laws.

Indianapolis_Colts_helmet_rightface.png

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

i actually have no idea

its not as if they can sue you and force you to remove it

i think it just counts as free advertising for them as your not going to make any money off it

PointBlank
    Participant
    @pointblank

I’m pretty sure that it is copyright infringement but I think the chances of them knowing, much less caring about it is very slim. I’ve seen dozens of hockey team logos tattooed and no one from the NHL is getting upset.

X-pressive
    Participant
    @x-pressive

Go for your life mate! You are obviously supporting your favourite team. I have tattooed alot of harley affiliated designs that are copyright. No lawyers been knocking on my door LOL

Demure
    Participant
    @demure

Copyright images are always tattooed on people. You’re not making money by recreating the image. That’s like me drawing a label and getting sued for it. It’s fine. If you want, ask your artist. He’d be the one making money off of the picture, not you. That means if there are any problems with it, it’s his deal, not your’s. So… let the artist worry about it but definitely bring it up.

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

to be honest what would anyone do about it. I can just imagine the conversation now

“The hon judge Gobelcoque presiding finds you guilty of copyright infringment. You will need to remove it”

“it doesnt come off”

“what not at all?”

“no”

“have you tried an eraser?”

“dont be a dick”

“sorry”

American Infidel
    Participant
    @american-infidel

i Say use the horseshoe but create it into your own design. For a random example put a horseshoe and cover it in flowers or dragons or something hope that helps

boomertw
    Participant
    @boomertw

I like Infidel’s idea of customizing the logo. There’s so much cool stuff you could do with that design. Good luck.

jonmk1
    Participant
    @jonmk1

move the horse shoe ever so slightly thus making it a different image 😉

Carmael
    Participant
    @carmael

I’m a wow fan… a girl posted a tattoo she had gotten of both the horde and alliance shields on the wow forums for moderators and blizzard employees as well as gamers to see. It looks gorgeous. As far as I know, she never got in any trouble for it.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

Not to he disrespectful, it’s kinda a silly a thing to worry about. As someone up thread said, it’s not like they’re ever going to find out, and honestly, they’d wouldn’t even give a damn. I wouldn’t bring it up with your artist man, because he’s gonna look at you like you’re an idiot. It’s good to be conscientious about others’ intellectual property, but this is really a nonissue.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

allupinsydeyou
    Participant
    @allupinsydeyou
    turbosatan;27544 wrote:
    to be honest what would anyone do about it. I can just imagine the conversation now

“The hon judge Gobelcoque presiding finds you guilty of copyright infringment. You will need to remove it”

“it doesnt come off”

“what not at all?”

“no”

“have you tried an eraser?”

“dont be a dick”

“sorry”

hahaha i say exactly this all the time. im in the marines and they came out with a rule saying no more tattoos that can be seen in a short sleeve shirt and shorts. and that was my exact response, “what are they gunna do? tell me to erase it?” hahahahaha

Doctor Abyss
    Participant
    @doctor-abyss

It’s not illegal.
    Copyright Infringement only takes place when you’re making money off of said image, or claiming it as your own property.

alyssaswoon
    Participant
    @alyssaswoon

i don’t think anyone is going to be butt-hurt over someone using their image for a tattoo, especially from a company, game, team, etc. from my experience they love it! some companies pay people to get their logos tattooed on them.

my boyfriend has a Lion King sleeve, and i’m sure disney aren’t going to come after him because whoever asks, “hey what’s that of?”, “oh it’s the Lion King, one of my favourite movies.” and voila! free publicity.

Crackbaby
    Participant
    @crackbaby

I remember reading a supreme court breif in lawschool regarding an artistic recreation of a cambell’s soup can from the 50’s-60’s. The supreme court declared that an artistic rendering of copyrighted material is not protected under copyright law, as limiting art is clearly protected speech. If you would like to know the specifics just google it. Given that tattooes are an artform the same legal precident should apply. Hope this helps:D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.