BigD16
Participant
@bigd16

I posted this in the general discussion forum, But I didnt notice this section until after I posted it. So, I’ll post my question here as well.

I have my appointment for my first tattoo set for Monday at 2pm. I was told it’s going to be about an 8 hour session. I am located in South Carolina and am going to Ron White at Freedom Tatt’s who came very highly reccomended to me. But back to my main point, I know my tatt artist will give me an instruction sheet on how to take care of my new tatt and will give me a small starting supply of ointment/lotion for it. I have been reading tons of reviews on things to use as well as watching alot of product review videos for tattoo aftercare on youtube. I know every artist will tell you differently and that what works for you, doesnt work for everybody. I also know every artist has their preference on what to use and so does every tattoo customer. I have heard A&D is good, but only in small doses because it doesnt allow your tattoo to breathe. I have heard that heavily perfumed lotions are no good as well. Most of the reviews I’ve come across seem to highly reccomend Curel non scented lotion. Anyway, like I mentioned… I know my artist will give me a care sheet, explain how to take care of the tattoo, and will give me a starting supply of lotion/ointment or whatever you want to refer to it as. I guess I would just like to hear everybody elses opinions. What do you use for your tattoo aftercare? How well has it worked for you? Would you reccomend it?

Inkmywholebodi
Participant
@inkmywholebodi

I have always used A&D and have never came across any issues yet. As instructed just apply a very light layer just enough to make it seem to shine. Good luck with the first.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

A&D or Aquaphor for the first 2-3 days and then switch to unscented lotion (Lubriderm, Curel, w/e). I personally use Aquaphor and Lubriderm/Curel, which has worked great for me.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

the light coating of aquaphor after every wash (2-3x day) for the first 3 days (or until you start to peel) and then switch to unscented lotion after every wash (2x a day) for remainder of the healing process (usually about a month or so) is the defacto method. i have used this method and it works well, but i have since switched to dry wrapping and my tattoos heal A LOT faster.

BigD16
Participant
@bigd16

Thank you for all the advice and replies. I will keep all the advice and information in mind.

junosama
Participant
@junosama

I second what D3FiANC3 said.

Krisp
@

You can’t beat Bepanthen ointment (make sure you get the ointment and not the cream, both are good but the cream is more of an antiseptic remedy).
I’ve always found Bepanthen the best in the past as it forms a breathable protective barrier and it aids the healing of the skin extremely well.
Mind you, Bayer the compony that makes Bepanthen did use slave labour in the nazi concentration camps and produce the gas that the nazi’s slaughtered the jews with in world war II… but if you can get over that….

I’m actually trying out Lucas Pawpaw on my new ink and so far it seems to be healing really well.

djrell
Participant
@djrell

Yes I know I’m bumping an old thread, but I might as well stay on topic here instead of starting a duplicate thread. Anyway, just like the threadstarter stated, tattoo artists will provide different and, at times, conflicting advice on aftercare. And as stated, what works for one, doesn’t work for the others. Here’s what I currently do:

1. After getting inked and having my saran wrap bandage placed, I remove it after several hours.
2. Wash with antibacterial soap then apply neosporin.
3. Re-bandage the piece and sleep on it overnight. This method works for me and is great at preventing scabs from forming. When I got my first tattoo, I left it uncovered during the first night like most everyone does, but scabs formed. In my case, this is bad because of the high chance of a scab getting scraped off prematurely, leaving a blotchy area with less ink. Re-bandaging and sleeping on it will collect oozy plasma by morning.
4. Remove bandage after waking up, re-wash with soap and gently remove plasma gunk with finger tips.
5. Apply neosporin for about a day or two, washing and reapplying three to four times per day.
6. After this, I won’t wash as much (because the wound is pretty much sealed), but I will lotion three to four times per day for about a week. In my case, I heal by one week (peeling stops, itch isn’t as intense).

Hope this helps.

djrell
Participant
@djrell

I’ve used Tattoo Goo and H2Ocean in the past, but I’ve found them unnecessary and a waste of money.

jerryatrophy
Participant
@jerryatrophy

I wouldn’t use neosporin unless it was actually infected, since it’s an antimicrobial ointment and tends to be rather thick. Aquaphor.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I’m pretty sure this guys tattoo is healed by now

djrell
Participant
@djrell

My post was intended for anyone to read my take on aftercare instead of starting a new thread on the same topic. This thread is a few years old. Yes, we know the threadstarter’s tattoo is healed.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

If you realized the thread was old why resurrect it why not just start a new thread on your aftercare advise?

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Every thing I heard or read up to this point specifically said NOT to use Neosporin.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.