Hillpill92
Participant
@hillpill92

Hi! I got my first tattoo yesterday, and my artist told me to use and unscented lotion on the tattoo. I got Vaseline *brand* Petroleum Jelly Cream with Vitamin E.. however, after looking at some forums, I see that people are very much against vaseline.. Is that just the Vaseline Petroleum Jelly? or should I go get a different kind of lotion?? If so, what should I get??

Thanks! 😀

Amok
Participant
@amok

yeah don’t use that, it makes no sense to use petroleum in an open wound and will probably cause damage to your tattoo.

bepanthen is very good lotion to use. it sounds like your artist is not the best at giving aftercare advice, so here’s a link to a good guide.

http://kianforreal.com/wp/tattoo-aftercare/

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
Amok;98300 wrote:
bepanthen is very good lotion to use.

I also use bepanthen it is very good.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

bepanthen, a&d, aquaphor, h2ocean, there are many , never petroleum based products on a wound

http://black13tattoo.com/aftercare/

some additional aftercare advice for large and seperate advice for large work

Adler
Participant
@adler

Yeah use an ointment like Aquaphor (although main ingredient is petrolatum) for the first few days then switch to a lotion such as Lubriderm, Curel, Aveeno unscented. I like using 100% shea butter.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
mrchen;98313 wrote:
bepanthen, a&d, aquaphor, h2ocean, there are many , never petroleum based products on a wound

A&D, Aquaphor,Vasoline,Bepathen are all petroleum based ointments and will work just fine.

Amok
Participant
@amok

I used to use petrol to clean floors of a workshop I once worked at. It scares me to put anything with petrol in the name on an open wound! Had no idea bepanthen was petroleum based though, wtf

johndeniel
Participant
@johndeniel

I think, you should not use Vaseline on your tattoos. It is very thick and forms an occlusive barrier on the tattoos. You can try with Bepanthen cream, it is safe.

Inkmywholebodi
Participant
@inkmywholebodi

Amok has a very good link listed above. Covers all the “how come and but whys.” I use A&D personally and have had no problems with it whatsoever. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.