quadcam
Participant
@quadcam

Hey Everyone, here is mt TL;DR intro. I’m 38 and I’ve been doing artwork for as long as I can remember. I took 4 yrs of commercial art classes in high school/vo-tech and have been messing with airbrushing off and on since about 1985. I got my first (and only up till a few days ago) tattoo when i was 18 and had thought about learning to do tattoos way back then but I’ve always had this intense phobia of needles and blood. So that pretty much ended that idea for me.

for some reason about a 2-3 months ago I got to thinking about wanting to learn to do tattoos again and then my stepdaughter decided to get her first tattoo so I went along to watch her have it done (ok, I went to watch her squirm in pain…lol…karma) the needles/blood thing didnt bother me at all, that really got me thinking about learning and I went and ordered a starter kit.

I’ve been practicing on fruit and practice skins for awhile and I think I have a pretty good handle on things, even just practicing I wipe the surrounding area down with bleach and use gloves. I also have BBP training through my job.

So the other day i decided to take the plunge and try the real thing on my own skin. it came out ok, not the worst i’ve ever seen. then my wife decided that she would trust me enough to design something for her arm. Shes happy with it, other people really like it but i know I could have done better.

Meanwhile, I’m trying to get an apprenticeship somewhere but who knows if that will ever happen

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Throw the crap tattoo kit you got in the garbage. Stop tattooing anything you will pick up bad habits that you will have a hard time getting rid of. Your mentor will help you pick out the correct equipment for you. The more you tattoo shit the harder it will be for you to get an apprenticeship. Your time will be better spent working on a portfolio oh your artwork. Good luck and scratchers are not welcome here.

Don’t take it as I’m being an ass I’m just giving you the facts.

quadcam
Participant
@quadcam

Thanks for the tips and I won’t take it personally, I’ve seen your responses to “scratchers” so I expected the unwelcome comment

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

If you want a career in tattooing buttwheat has given you the right advice, you should take it before it’s too late.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Welcome to the forums quadcam.

The problem with studying on your own, as has been discussed already, is the fact that it’s much more difficult to unlearn than it is to learn. Building a set of poor methods will only make your mentor’s job that much more difficult. Most mentors will not even take on scratchers (that is, people that have studied on their own) for this very reason.

If you TRULY want an apprenticeship. Don’t touch your ‘gun’ again until your mentor tells you it’s okay.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

i’d like to see a pic of the ink you did on your wife,….

-David-
Participant
@david-2
reefdiver;94826 wrote:
i’d like to see a pic of the ink you did on your wife,….

…..ditto

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

What was the point of this thread? I think everything we need to know has been made clear by the fact that it didnt start with pictures.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.