tattoo-girl
Participant
@tattoo-girl

Hi there,just wanted to say hi!! I have no idea what im doing haha.I have loved art and tattos for years so have decided to give it a go.Any advice or anything would be much appreciated!! Anways cheers guys 😮

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Well, advice, hmm. Lots of people on here asking for advice, then getting seriously pissed off when it’s the advice they NEED but not what they wanted. I’ll give it a shot anyway. Everyone on these forums should keep in mind that the majority of this advice comes from people who have made bad decisions and are attempting to keep others from making the same mistakes. First of all, find a piece of art that makes you want to cry, laugh, scream, shit your pants, etc. Second, DO NOT look for someone who “isn’t great, but they’re affordable!” Trust me, this will definitely come back to bite you in the ass. This is from the viewpoint of one of those “affordable” artists. I started scratching and now very seriously recognize the importance of a proper education. Time for a story.

The first tattoo I ever did was on the leg of a guy I worked for at the time. I had absolutely NO experience and did the MOST fucked up embarrassing thing that I will never admit to and will have nightmares about the rest of my life. I recently looked into an apprenticeship and as I’m going through one of the artists’ portfolios, lo and behold, THERE is my embarrassing first tat reworked! The kicker? It didn’t look any better! IT STILL SUCKED! Of course, I said absolutely nothing, but I may have to kill the guy to keep him quiet. (lol just joking) Buttwheat, Wardy, Arni, everyone, don’t bother asking for pics because I destroyed all evidence of that monstrosity long ago.

Anyway, thirdly, tattoos have become an amazing, gorgeous art form with breathtakingly spectacular pieces out there. Now, not everyone can afford a breathtaking masterpiece, but everyone can afford a great tattoo created by a great artist if they are willing to save, search, and find someone they really believe in. TRUST is not enough! I shudder to think of all the people who have seen my drawings and said ” I want this tattoo, I trust you!” FIND A GOOD TATTOO ARTIST! Seriously.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

welcome to the forum

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Oh yeah, welcome!

tattoo-girl
Participant
@tattoo-girl

Thanks for this.Its hard because i live in cornwall.I could easily get training from an ok artist but im happy to travel so i can get some priceless mentoring! and i will always accept any advice! i dont have tantrums 🙂

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

LOL Oh, you are thinking about BECOMING an artist! Well, kudos to you and good luck! Always great to have female tattoo artists, they have a bit different perspective on the art. I would be more than happy to go to a female artist whom I thought was incredible. If Anne Stokes did tattoos, I would be covered in them. Not because she’s a hottie, (she is), but because her art makes me want to cry. I am in the process of getting funding for my own apprenticeship, but my advice for you would be a bit different than my earlier post. I checked out your album, and you’re pretty good. I think you could use a bit more instruction and practice, perhaps. Your stuff appears a bit flat, two-dimensional. But you definitely have talent. Find a great artist and do what it takes to get that apprenticeship. Good luck! (Oh, and no offense intended, I know my art needs much improvement as well.)

C-los.p
Participant
@c-los-p

Just practice your drawing and build up your portfolio!
And Dave, some of your art needs work, but your portraits are killer!!

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Thanks, C-los! I appreciate the encouragement! 🙂

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Welcome
go get yourself a proper apprenticeship

I like it

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

very nice ink you got there.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

Hey, welcome to the forum. Looks like you’re off to a good start with your art. I’m dabbling with art lately, myself. I haven’t done anything serious or finished in years, but I have a couple projects I’m practicing with, which I hope sharpens my skills and teaches me a few things I’ve forgotten, then I hope to start them fresh and turn them into fine pieces of finished work. I think, from what I’ve seen of your work, you have talent and ability, so, just keep at it. Practice is of the utmost importance. Sometimes I try to be in too much of a hurry and neglect practicing, so, do practice and often! Good luck and I will look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. :):):)

Amok
Participant
@amok
buttwheat;92097 wrote:
Welcome
go get yourself a proper apprenticeship

I like it

buttwheat, you have nice boobs

backinblack
Participant
@backinblack

Nice, is that in anyway linked to Avenged Sevenfold? Looks kind of like the Death Bat symbol.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.