JMac0123
Participant
@jmac0123

Hey ladies and gents,

Ive been wanting to get a tat since I was young. I have always kind of put it off but always still wanting one. I knew right from the beginning I wanted a sleeve. I have some ideas but im having a hard time trying to piece everything together, how do people normally figure out there sleeve ? Im 19 years old and know ill be getting more tattoos for sure, anything wrong with starting off with a larger tattoo like this ?

Thanks a lot.

Jimmy.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

hi jimmy and welcome to the forum..

some people start with large pieces but most start with a small piece just to make sure they are upto it, a sleeve for a first is a very big piece, personally i wouldnt advise it but its entirely upto you..

so what is the theme of the sleeve going to be ???

JMac0123
Participant
@jmac0123

thanks for the welcome

Might I ask why you wouldnt advise it ? Im not doubting your knowledge as I dont have any tats yet but just curious as to why its not a good idea.
As far as the theme for it I have been going back and forth for soo long. I see/have ideas all the time then it changes then I see something else and it changes again. How do other people come up with the design of there whole sleeve ? I know im not huge into a lot of bright colors, probly just some shading with the odd bit of red to make certain things pop.

Aero_Dave
Participant
@aero_dave
JMac0123;50973 wrote:
thanks for the welcome

Might I ask why you wouldnt advise it ? Im not doubting your knowledge as I dont have any tats yet but just curious as to why its not a good idea.
As far as the theme for it I have been going back and forth for soo long. I see/have ideas all the time then it changes then I see something else and it changes again. How do other people come up with the design of there whole sleeve ? I know im not huge into a lot of bright colors, probly just some shading with the odd bit of red to make certain things pop.

This is Exactly why I too, wouldn’t recommend a full sleeve for your 1st tattoo. Not trying to be a hard a$$ here, but if you can’t make up your mind now as to what you want (for the rest of your life) then Dont’ start this big. However, if you do have a ‘general’ theme in mind (like Japanese style) then start out with something smaller that be added into later. I do find that most peolpe who have put alot of thought & time into wanting alot of ink, dont’ change their mind after the 1st one. BUT, there is Always that small possibility that aftet the 1st one, you may find it’s not for you. Then going small for the 1st one, isn’t so bad. Plus, if I’m asked for my opinion about this subject, I recommend your 1st one, higher-up near the shoulder. That way, if you decide not to continue, it won’t show everyday to the world. Although I have 2 full sleeves (and more) I started with both shoulders, then chest, back, then legs Before I went onto the lower parts of my arms. Not that I didn’t know I would be full sleeved someday, I just wanted to have my career in-place before society decided for me. Although today, things have changed alot and more-n-more people tolerate heavily tattooed people and we’re not considered criminals, I still would hold off getting my lower arms done for a while. Again, this is just 1 mans opinion, nothing more.

Dave…

JMac0123
Participant
@jmac0123
Aero_Dave;50977 wrote:
This is Exactly why I too, wouldn’t recommend a full sleeve for your 1st tattoo. Not trying to be a hard a$$ here, but if you can’t make up your mind now as to what you want (for the rest of your life) then Dont’ start this big. However, if you do have a ‘general’ theme in mind (like Japanese style) then start out with something smaller that be added into later. I do find that most peolpe who have put alot of thought & time into wanting alot of ink, dont’ change their mind after the 1st one. BUT, there is Always that small possibility that aftet the 1st one, you may find it’s not for you. Then going small for the 1st one, isn’t so bad. Plus, if I’m asked for my opinion about this subject, I recommend your 1st one, higher-up near the shoulder. That way, if you decide not to continue, it won’t show everyday to the world. Although I have 2 full sleeves (and more) I started with both shoulders, then chest, back, then legs Before I went onto the lower parts of my arms. Not that I didn’t know I would be full sleeved someday, I just wanted to have my career in-place before society decided for me. Although today, things have changed alot and more-n-more people tolerate heavily tattooed people and we’re not considered criminals, I still would hold off getting my lower arms done for a while. Again, this is just 1 mans opinion, nothing more.

Dave…

I much appreciate your opinion. I did plan on starting at my shoulder and working my way down. I dont necessarily have a theme but images I would like to incorporate. I would like to incorporate a thorny rose wrapping around and up my arm. I need to bring in “lucky 13” as I was born on friday the 13th on the 13th hour and turned 13 on friday the 13th. I like the idea of a Bromeo rose on my elbow (i think thats how ou spell it). And a couple other things that i would like in there. I just want it to flow nicely and not look random. I guess this is where I need the help and opinion of a professional to help me put it all together and work out a sketch. Also I work in the oilfield so having tattoos is not a problem in my line of work. Thanks a lot,

Jimmy.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

if your not sure now then i am sure you will regret it later…. if you find a design that you like then print it out and pin it on your door frame in your bedroom or place it somewhere that you will see it everyday, if after about a month you can still look at it and think “hell yeah… thats the design i want” then you might have found the right piece…. more often than not, people will look at it and a fter a week or so they think “it might be better if” then its not the right piece.

dont rush into it, your still young and it aint a race 😉

just my 2 pennies worth

JMac0123
Participant
@jmac0123

thanks for the advice, ill keep searching around. Im very picky about stuff like this so I know I wont just slap anything on. Thanks again, ill post pics when I get it started.

Jimmy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.