The _Killing Joke
    Participant
    @the-_killing-joke

My newest tattoo on my ribs. It didn’t hurt as much as I thought. I hear stories as the ribs are one of the most difficult places to get a tattoo. The only problem I have with it now is the healing process that goes with it. It feels very sore and hurts if touched. My other tattoos that I had on my chest and my forearm didn’t have that problem at all. It never felt sore and you can touch it and I would feel nothing. I thought this was going to be a very dark piece with lots of black, shading, red and green. It turns out the color scheme messed real with together and made it lighten up more than I expected.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Brother, I just had my knee done last night. Some parts weren’t too bad. Other parts? a little rough.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

You hear that the ribs suck from people who don’t have a lot of tattoos. I had parts of my ribs done and it was hardly painful at all.

For a lot of people tattoos right over bone will be more sore after than other places, I gave a healing tattoo on my shin at the moment, a week old, and certain spots are still sore. A tattoo doesn’t just touch your skin, the pressure from the machine and the artist hands can also cause bruises etc so it’s nothing to worry about ๐Ÿ™‚

Now for the tattoo… I think it lacks depth and detail. Looks like it was made by an apprentice.

The _Killing Joke
    Participant
    @the-_killing-joke

Agreed with your comment on the pain aspect. When you have multiple tattoos the pain is all the same. It doesn’t hurt 95% of the time because you dealt with it. Second comment is sort of true. She has been doing this for less than a year and skills have vastly improved over the months. We are not done per say. We are letting it heal up first and then going in for a bit more work. I may not have a top 5 famous artist doing my art, but when people see it in person they love the art, and so do I. Could it have been done a little different yes it could have, but the art work coveys the message and it looks great to me. I also appreciate your honest comment about it. I am not like some people who take negative comments on work and say your stupid and you don’t know anything. I take any negative comment and try to work with my artist to get it more technically sound.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@The _Killing Joke 138316 wrote:

Agreed with your comment on the pain aspect. When you have multiple tattoos the pain is all the same. It doesn’t hurt 95% of the time because you dealt with it. Second comment is sort of true. She has been doing this for less than a year and skills have vastly improved over the months. We are not done per say. We are letting it heal up first and then going in for a bit more work. I may not have a top 5 famous artist doing my art, but when people see it in person they love the art, and so do I. Could it have been done a little different yes it could have, but the art work coveys the message and it looks great to me. I also appreciate your honest comment about it. I am not like some people who take negative comments on work and say your stupid and you don’t know anything. I take any negative comment and try to work with my artist to get it more technically sound.

Top 5? There are literally hundreds (or more?) artists out there right in all corners of the globe that are just outright fantastic. If you’re content to settle for subpar work, hey it’s your body. Don’t start in with that crap about “top 5 famous artist” though. No one here cares if the artist that did the work is famous or completely unknown. The quality of the work is what it is regardless of their social status.

* I just noticed that you’re in Wayne, NJ. Just off the top of my head, you could hit up Chris Adamek or Sean Zee in NJ. There is also Shane O’Neill, Steve Wimmer, and Eric Marcinizyn in DE. In Philly and NYC, you have a whole assload of talented artists. Or you could drive out a couple hours down I-80 and see Ron 570. Again, if you’re happy with that kind of work, by all means keep getting it – but you don’t have to.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@D3FiANC3 138325 wrote:

Top 5? There are literally hundreds (or more?) artists out there right in all corners of the globe that are just outright fantastic. If you’re content to settle for subpar work, hey it’s your body. Don’t start in with that crap about “top 5 famous artist” though. No one here cares if the artist that did the work is famous or completely unknown. The quality of the work is what it is regardless of their social status.

The truth spoken above^^^^^

The _Killing Joke
    Participant
    @the-_killing-joke

@D3FiANC3 138325 wrote:

* I just noticed that you’re in Wayne, NJ. Just off the top of my head, you could hit up Chris Adamek or Sean Zee in NJ. There is also Shane O’Neill, Steve Wimmer, and Eric Marcinizyn in DE. In Philly and NYC, you have a whole assload of talented artists. Or you could drive out a couple hours down I-80 and see Ron 570. Again, if you’re happy with that kind of work, by all means keep getting it – but you don’t have to.

I should have worded the top “5” more differently. What I meant to say was that you don’t need famous people to do your work, but if in general most of the people you encounter love the work it is considered top notch. I bet your top artists will be different from other people’s top artists. So the way I see it is if most of the general public like the work it is considered great work. Not everybody will love the same work and not everyone will hate the same work. It all depends on the general consensus and how many years that they last in the business.

The artist I used is still under a year of tattooing and a friend of mine. The artist you named above are probably excellent in there craft, but how long did it take them to get to that excellent status? I highly doubt they were considered excellent artist when they first started.

Finally I don’t disagree with anything you said and I would love to see some of their work if you have some pictures or a website of the shop where they have samples of their work.

anonymous
    Participant
    @anonymous

@The _Killing Joke 138327 wrote:

I should have worded the top “5” more differently. What I meant to say was that you don’t need famous people to do your work, but if in general most of the people you encounter love the work it is considered top notch. I bet your top artists will be different from other people’s top artists. So the way I see it is if most of the general public like the work it is considered great work. Not everybody will love the same work and not everyone will hate the same work. It all depends on the general consensus and how many years that they last in the business.
    [/quote]

Obviously, opinions will differ on who the best artists are, favorites styles, and so forth, but none of that is relevant to the actual quality of the work. For example, Russ Abbot isn’t even in my top 50, but I can still recognize and acknowledge that he is a phenomenal artist. If my 2000 Mountaineer is the least shitty vehicle in a lot with 100 cars, it still doesn’t make it a Porsche. Likewise, if your shitty tattoo is the best in a room full of even shittier tattoos, it doesn’t make it a good tattoo. I’m not telling you that your tattoo isn’t my style. I am telling you that it’s poorly executed.

The artist I used is still under a year of tattooing and a friend of mine. The artist you named above are probably excellent in there craft, but how long did it take them to get to that excellent status? I highly doubt they were considered excellent artist when they first started.[/quote]

Most artists do suck when they start out, but what does that have to do with anything? If you want to help a friend out by giving her some practice that’s great and perhaps in 5 years she will be a great artist, but neither of those things change the fact that the work is poor right now. We’re not looking to come down on her or you; we’re just giving it to you straight.

Finally I don’t disagree with anything you said and I would love to see some of their work if you have some pictures or a website of the shop where they have samples of their work.

Google their name followed by the word tattoo. They all have online portfolios, Facebook pages, Instagram, etc.

BertNaked
    Participant
    @bertnaked

It sure looks like a tattoo.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

I have yet to have anyone famous tattoo me, hell, I’ve been tattooed by friends who are apprenticing as well. SMALL tattoos. They don’t get to do my entire side, but they get 10x10cm on my leg and ask I for something they think is fun and feel is a bit of a challenge. With a deal that they’ll re-do it once they’re better artists. Helping out a friend is great, I’ll help a good friend move for three days but I won’t let them place a huge permanent mark on me just to be nice.

And tattoos sure as hell don’t feel the same once you have a bunch, at least not to me ๐Ÿ˜› My shin last week felt nothing like any other of my tattoos, and I’ve been under the needle for a total of 91 hours now. But my scale has changed. If being tattooed on the ribs had been my worst pain ever I’m sure it would’ve felt horrible, but it’s down there on a 2 out 10. Context is pretty important when talking about pain, but they’re never gonna stop hurting if you get inked somewhere actually painful ๐Ÿ˜‰

Tattooing less than a year = She’s an apprentice. Or a scratcher. Either way. It’s not top notch work no matter how many of your friends say so. It’s either a proof how much they’re willing to lie to you, or what range of quality tattoos they’ve seen before. Once you’ve seen the work of Carlos Torres, Jason Butcher, Domantas Pravinias and the likes, and realize that hundreds of artists all over the world are doing that kind of work, your perspective changes.
    Love it all you want, keep getting bad quality tattoos if you want to, but you don’t have to, and it’s still not top quality work.

Dan
    Participant
    @dan

@The _Killing Joke 138298 wrote:

My newest tattoo on my ribs. It didn’t hurt as much as I thought. I hear stories as the ribs are one of the most difficult places to get a tattoo. The only problem I have with it now is the healing process that goes with it. It feels very sore and hurts if touched. My other tattoos that I had on my chest and my forearm didn’t have that problem at all. It never felt sore and you can touch it and I would feel nothing. I thought this was going to be a very dark piece with lots of black, shading, red and green. It turns out the color scheme messed real with together and made it lighten up more than I expected.

I’m not generally fond of tattoos with words in them.
    and I had a side piece done,8 hr one shot,it hurt,but IMO all tattoos hurt.
    here is my side piece
    tigerf1.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.