Slappy13
    Participant
    @slappy13

I’m not sure how long it’s been since I last posted but I’ve been taking care of large portions of my torso. Pics to follow. Also last month while I was on vacation I managed to swing by State of Grace in San Jose, CA and talk face to face with Horitaka about what I plan on him doing to finish my left leg. Totally clean studio and really top notch artists in there from all over. Beaux Brady and Colin Baker were in there drawing that day and Horitomo was locked away in his little private section doing some tebori. Anyway here’s some pics of my progress. The namakubi (severed head) was done on Friday night. All one session about 1 1/2 hours no breaks no stopping. The baku was done in 2 sessions and my chest in 3. The artist who did this work, James Clements, doesn’t fuck around once he dips those needles in the ink!

v5gN6JSl.jpg

qd2ciTJl.jpg

J6HnF8Ql.jpg

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Looks good I like the last one

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome back!

Looking good. Your tattoos are not my favorite style, but I love color and you’ve got that. The last one is really cool.

Slappy13
    Participant
    @slappy13

Thanks. As you can tell by my arms which were tattooed first I wasn’t always into the traditional Japanese style but Mario Barth’s movie “Under the Skin” really had a huge impact on how I viewed not only Japanese tattooing but tattooing in general and tattoo etiquette. If you’ve never seen it I highly suggest seeking out a copy of it.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

I’ve never heard of it, but I’ll surly check it out.

Thanks

Slappy13
    Participant
    @slappy13

This is the trailer for it. Really only the beginning is about him. http://youtu.be/LaaLajc96wY

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Looking good. You should get some work from horitomo, much better artist than horitaka imo. I’m not a fan of mario barth so I am a little biased and won’t be watching that video lol

Slappy13
    Participant
    @slappy13

@yodaddynukka 132337 wrote:

Looking good. You should get some work from horitomo, much better artist than horitaka imo. I’m not a fan of mario barth so I am a little biased and won’t be watching that video lol

Well both Horitomo and Horitaka apprenticed under Horiyoshi III for roughly the same period of time but Horitomo only tattoos by tebori except for outlining from what I understand. I personally like both their art but Horitaka is a cool dude and since I’m getting him to do a huge dragon I think he can do it just as well as anyone. I would like Horitomo to do something smaller on my leg to fit inside the whole design. The other leg I plan on having finished by Luke Stewart at Seventh Son. I admit I’m not a huge fan of Mario’s style or work but it’s the info in that movie which is important. At least try to put aside your feelings towards him cause most of the movie is with Horitoshi. THanks for liking what I have though. I have one more piece on my torso to get then it’ll all be background left including my back. Then I’ll jsut have the legs from the knees to butt.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Cool keep us posted! I want to collect from horitomo some day.

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Are u going to the convention in Oct?

Slappy13
    Participant
    @slappy13

@yodaddynukka 132340 wrote:

Are u going to the convention in Oct?

Unfortunately most likely not this year. I’ll be stuck in either Louisiana working or back home in Texas. The lucky thing for me though is that I work for an airline so I fly for free which means I’ll be flying from Houston to San Jose for every session with Horitaka but that’s free so not a big deal. Once I’m done with my bodysuit I’ll use that nice little benefit to go hit up the big conventions. I have real mixed feelings about conventions though.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@Slappy13 132341 wrote:

I have real mixed feelings about conventions though.

I’ll be checking out the convention in Baltimore next year. The only experience I’ve had so far was Harrisburg, PA’s lame excuse last April.

I did check out some scenes of “Under the Skin”, very interesting. I’ll have to locate the full length version.

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy

I like the work you have so far mate, keep us posted.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.