metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

Gunnar is such a down to earth honest guy, and a great artist to boot. Due to snow our noon appointment was pushed out until 3PM. He went to work on my wifes pancreatic cancer ribbon. He didn’t do a pre-sketch because he said it was so simple he’d just draw it up right there. So he did, and after my wife and he went through the color pallet, a little less than two hours later my wife got her first tattoo.

IMG_20121229_171613.jpg

Then he started on my cobra addition at 5PM. No pre-sketch other than a general cobra idea sketch. He spent almost 1.5 hours drawing the cobra with a pen on me before inking and then scrapped the whole idea because he just wasn’t happy with it. he couldn’t get the cobra to sit right. After he took 5 to refresh, he came back and said he just wanted to re-work the eagle first. Actually we never spoke of doing anything to the eagle specifically but I just said go ahead. After that he decided to use a desert scene to complete the tattoo, so he colored in the sky and then moved to the ground. Since the cobra didn’t work, he went with a rattler. At 12:30AM we wrapped it up. We guessed actual inking time was 4.5 hours or so. I cannot really believe the difference in the before/after.

Before:
    DSC01798.jpg

After (crappy cell phone pic – I’ll get a better one after healing):
    IMG_20121230_003242_zps794af6ec.jpg

Now I know what my original eagle was – an OK street shop tattoo. Now I have two tattoos that showcase an artists talent, key word artist here. I guess I really have become a “collector” as I feel I’ve ultimately received two very solid pieces of work, and to me that’s not a bad accomplishment for my first two tattoos.

Now we’ll see if I stick to that “I’m all done with tattoos” belief. I know people have hundreds of hours on ink on them. I only have 14 hours, but every hour was earned (for some reason this one hurt more that Gunnar’s last piece, at least in comparison to how I felt 4.5 hours in last time).

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@metalmancpa 121568 wrote:

Now we’ll see if I stick to that “I’m all done with tattoos” belief. I know people have hundreds of hours on ink on them. I only have 14 hours, but every hour was earned (for some reason this one hurt more that Gunnar’s last piece, at least in comparison to how I felt 4.5 hours in last time).

Congratulations to your wife on her first! You’ll be back for more. No question about it.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Looks wicked mate, both you and you Mrs must be well chuffed:-)

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

Wow the eagle looks like a totally different eagle!

msmercury
    Participant
    @msmercury

Congrats to you both! ๐Ÿ™‚

metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

@yodaddynukka 121573 wrote:

Wow the eagle looks like a totally different eagle!

That’s what surprised me the most. He really fixed it up, giving it wings and a more proper body. And as I said, I went in thinking the eagle itself would come out looking the same. I’m happily wrong.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Looks great

metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

The before/after:
    Eagletattoobeforeandafter_zps1fb42b61.jpg

Dipland
    Participant
    @dipland

I like how he subtly removed some of the sharp lines in the eagle. The wings extensions and white neck transition also look good. The smoother muted colors look much better. I also like the color contrast between the blue sky and golden desert.

I recall my experience with him, and was actually surprised that you did not comment on his heavy hand on your last visit. He is a great guy AND artist. He is only about a 3 hour drive from me, so I expect to see him sometime in 2013 for some background/filler work.

Question – What is your wife’s next tattoo plan? ๐Ÿ™‚

metalmancpa
    Participant
    @metalmancpa

@Dipland 121594 wrote:

I like how he subtly removed some of the sharp lines in the eagle. The wings extensions and white neck transition also look good. The smoother muted colors look much better. I also like the color contrast between the blue sky and golden desert.

I recall my experience with him, and was actually surprised that you did not comment on his heavy hand on your last visit. He is a great guy AND artist. He is only about a 3 hour drive from me, so I expect to see him sometime in 2013 for some background/filler work.

Question – What is your wife’s next tattoo plan? ๐Ÿ™‚

He wanted to work within the framework of the original eagle, and his choice of color pallette was excellent. It pops without being bright, and the eagle really stands out now – a great focal point.

I guess I should have equated my pain with a “heavy hand”. But having only experienced two artists, no real comparison. The original eagle only took 2.5 hours not with Gunnar. This rework was 4.5+ hours and my one two months ago was 7 hours, so I was equating pain to time spent under the needle.

Haha on my wife. She has stated ABSOLUTELY no second tattoo, but in the end of that conversation she never really closed the door. Nor have I.

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Congrats. The eagle does look a lot better.

tool
    Participant
    @tool

big improvement, very nice

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.