mchoi40
Participant
@mchoi40

Greetings Tattoo Forum users,

I have a lovely younger sister who is an apprentice working at Signal Hill CA. I have some questions regarding the apprenticeship, and any help or answer will be greatly appreciated.
She has been working as an apprentice for little over 2 years now. However, to me there were something that didn’t look normal, so I wanted to find out if this is common for all tattoo apprentice.

First of all, she works almost 60 hours a week (10 hours a day everyday, except Tuesday) with ZERO pay. She does everything from opening and closing the shop, helping the artists, watching front desk, and even cleaning the toilet.
Before I write this thread I’ve done some research myself about the apprenticeship, and I am aware that you have to work hard and expected to do a lot of shop keeping businesses as well.
But all that work for not a single penny in return? The commute is about 25 minutes one way and gas is pretty expensive in So Cal. She tried working part time but on top of 60 hours a week of work, it was near impossible for her body.
Because rest of the family is living out of state, we’re supporting her living cost, apartment rent in LA (which is very expensive), gas, and any miscellaneous costs. Sounds like if your family isn’t anywhere near mid-class or above,
there is no way you can become a tattoo artist, if working 60 hours a week and not getting paid is normal. Is this same for every other apprentices who might be reading this post? What worries me the most is the work contract was all done orally, and there is no written official document or employment agreement in file.

Second, she is a very talented artist. She finds spare time while working at the shop to make tattoo designs and draw here and there, so she managed to collect great number of paintings in her portfolio.
However, all these were done on paper. She had ZERO tattoo experience for two years and now she just got her machine and tried tattooing on herself and some of her friends who volunteered.
I know tattooing is difficult and needs extra caution while doing so, but this is something where you can only get better by practicing. As a chemical engineer myself, two years of pure theory and zero practical work of any kind seems way way too long, rather it’s engineering, tattooing, or just about anything. I’ve heard many cases where artists let their apprentice tattoo easy designs on their customers no longer than a year, but none of that for over 2 years for my sister.

Lastly, I don’t have a good sense about her supervisor. He has second job at the auto shop so he only shows up so many days per week. How is she suppose to learn if her ‘teacher’ doesn’t even show up almost half the time?
Plus, whenever she posts something on Facebook, every now and then he posts something like “now go clean my toilet.” Even if it’s an inside joke, I’ve seen that kind of response several times, and from her family’s point of view, it doesn’t seem like he’s doing a good job actually teaching her. Also to me it shows how ‘professional’ he is writing those kind of comments in social media to his apprentice.

I would really appreciate it if any of you can tell me if all these are normal and I’m just overly worried as siblings, or something does look not normal. I wish I could go to the shop myself and sort things out, but I’m tied up with my work and I am 2000+ miles away from her. She’s not a very talkative person and very mature for her age, so she wouldn’t want to talk anything negative about her work, thinking that we’ll be too worried. But we’ve found her many times where she said she doesn’t want to to work and looked overly exhausted. Apprenticeship is tough I know, but is it suppose to be this much work with no compensation? Sorry for such a long post. I am just worried about my sister and want to find a way to help her. If you guys want to see some of her artwork, you can find them at her instagram (@jamieisbeast). Whoever managed to read this far, go check out her awesome work! 😀

Thank you again and God Bless.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Sounds very fishy mate, obviously they’re taking advantage of her.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Two years an now just got a machine? I’m no expert, but she should have at least been tattooing melons or fake hands.

Good luck.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

The way I see it, I would have walked away long ago.

She should definitely find another studio to apprentice for. She can only go up from cleaning toilets and watching from afar.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

Never been an apprentice myself but 2 years does seem an awfully long time, especially on 60 hours a week, I don’t know of anyone that puts in that amount of time and gets no tattooing time for two years. She should be spending a lot of that time drawing and painting rather than managing to get a little done each day. I would tell her to move on too…

GarageBuiltIrons
Participant
@garagebuiltirons

doesnt seem so bad, over here 2yrs is about right….some are alot quicker but iv been offered 2 or 3 apprenticeships myself and they all said 2yrs aswell….and all the cleaning toilets, doing books, taking appointments etc is right aswell….they probably are taking advantage a bit but its not uncommon. if she isnt watching them work and her mentor explaning about inks, making needles…or even how different needles work etc then id be worried. if she literally did just desk work then was handed a machine and told to tattoo right away then clearly thats not right

Amok
Participant
@amok

@GarageBuiltIrons 146258 wrote:

doesnt seem so bad, over here 2yrs is about right….some are alot quicker but iv been offered 2 or 3 apprenticeships myself and they all said 2yrs aswell….and all the cleaning toilets, doing books, taking appointments etc is right aswell….they probably are taking advantage a bit but its not uncommon. if she isnt watching them work and her mentor explaning about inks, making needles…or even how different needles work etc then id be worried. if she literally did just desk work then was handed a machine and told to tattoo right away then clearly thats not right

What about not being paid?
Maybe it’s different in my country but here it would be illegal.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

She is being paid with knowledge. My apprenticeship was shorter, but I too worked for free. Her circumstance may not be ideal, but she had a choice in accepting an apprenticeship at that shop with that artist.

GarageBuiltIrons
Participant
@garagebuiltirons

yeah you got no chance of getting paid lol its all about earning the knowledge….iv never heard of anyone being paid to apprentice ever. over here lately alot of studios are asking people to pay for apprenticeships….a few grand for like a month or two….total scam but people actually do it too.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

Oh no tattoo apprenticeships aren’t generally paid. Ones arranged through a college or whatever are usually paid a very small amount to cover travel expenses or whatever but its not unheard of for a tattoo apprenticeship to be completely unpaid. Part of paying you dues I suppose!

But I am concerned that she is putting in 60 hours a week and you said that she only occasionally finds time to draw. A lot of those 60 hours a week should be drawing and painting, practicing and learning techniques, not just being a shop bitch. The shop bitch part should only be a small percentage…

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Uh no, this isn’t normal or right. I’m not and have not been an apprentice, but a lot of my friends have been, I used to manage and shop and I’ve been around enough to know what a normal apprenticeship looks like. I’ll give a couple examples;

1) Guy wasn’t a gifted artist to begin with. He had some talent,but very little experience actually making art. So for the first 6-8 months he mainly drew, learned about machines, needles, hygiene and so on. After only a few months he was drawing with a machine, to get used to the weight. Shop knew he needed a part time job, and adjusted his hours so he was able to bartend. After one year he was tattooing clients. After trying fake skin, himself, close friends and so on. This shop didn’t use disposable gear, so obviously he needed to learn all about fixing needles, tubes, sterilizing etc and still to this day has responsibility for that. His apprenticeship was about 3yrs, and once he was tattooing for money, he got 60% of that money.

2) Girl was a VERY talented artist to begin with. Magnificent. This shop only uses disposable gear, and has a professional clean the shop each morning. So no need to spend hours sterilizing and cleaning. She drew, learned about machines, needles etc, and was tattooing real people within 3 months. Seems short, but a lot of apprenticeships these days work that way. Also getting a decent cut of whatever money is made from her tattoos from the get-go.

Most apprenticeships I know of is a combination of these. Some are still bad, with a lack of proper training, leaving them at mediocre tattoo artists at best. Hell, one of the best artists I know had 2-3 “kind of” apprenticeships with a mix of super strict lessons each day and “do whatever you want”, ended up with proper guidance to further her skills, and she’s the BOMB.

So yes; 2 yr apprenticeship is perfectly normal. 2yrs before tattooing? Not getting a cent? NO. She’s been hired as the shop assistent for two years. Without training etc = She’s working for free. You work for the knowledge, but without any knowledge or training, she’s just being taken advantage off.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.