Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

I’m getting my first tattoo done late in August. It’s a spinal tattoo. From what I’ve been told it won’t take longer than 2-3 hours (but then again the people I asked haven’t had something similar done)

Most people I’m talking to are giving me horror stories right now. My cousin says that most parlours won’t give me a spinal tattoo for my first one because of the pain.

I’m really hoping that she’s wrong because there is no way I’m spending an excess of £100 and aggravating my low pain threshold for something that I don’t want on my body forever.

Is she telling the truth? I’m aware that it’s gonna hurt but is the pain copable even if you don’t have a high pain tolerance? Will the tattoo pictured bellow take less than 3 hours?

15yk50.png

MattInked
Participant
@mattinked

Ive never had my back tattooed so Im unsure about the spine, but I would imagine anything on the bone would be pretty painful. My shin bone was the worst although my knee cap wasn’t that bad. Some places on the body are easier than others.

As far as getting turned away from a parlour. Unfortunately it happens. My artists gets customers all the time that come from another shop saying they were turned away. I’ve never heard of anyone being turned away because of any pain issues. Most the people I hear about getting turned away are ones that want to get a piece that the artists just doesn’t want to do.

I recently heard about an artists turning a girl away for wanting a neck tattoo because that artists doesnt do neck or hand tattoos on people who arent already covered in tattoos. Honestly the best option is to go to the shop and show them what you want and see what they say.

In the end its going to hurt. The speed of the tattoo will also depend on the artists and how quick they are. But it shouldnt take a ridiculous amount of time. One thing to consider is that even though its going to be painful…..you will survive and will be worth it. Remember pain is only temporary.

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

Thank you! I keep on trying to remind myself of that. I am quite fat so I have a considerable layer of fat between my spine bone and skin. Do you think that would make a difference?

MattInked
Participant
@mattinked

From my experience the areas with more meat aren’t so bad. But again everyone is different but you can do it! Will be worth it and regardless of the pain im sure u will want more once you get one!

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum.

Why in the world would you want a tattoo such as this?

Are you going to recite all those verses standing there facing away from the person asking about them?

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I think I just barfed in my mouth a little

Dan
Participant
@dan

wait ,so you’re going to get a 2-3 hour tattoo for £100 (about $155 US,right ? ) ?!?!?!?? is this guy in a regular shop ?
cheaptattoo.jpg

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@MattInked 144892 wrote:

From my experience the areas with more meat aren’t so bad. But again everyone is different but you can do it! Will be worth it and regardless of the pain im sure u will want more once you get one!

Thank you!

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@Sam-I-Am 144893 wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Why in the world would you want a tattoo such as this?

Are you going to recite all those verses standing there facing away from the person asking about them?

The tattoo isn’t really for other people, that’s why I’m getting it on my spine. No one is really gonna see my spine. So I’m not imagining many others will see the tattoo, the tattoo has meaning to me.

Basically, I’m a writer. Poetry is really meaningful to me and resonates with me. I had a rough year, the psalms got me through. I also like them they’re poetic.

I get that the religious thing aggravates some unpleasant feelings in people, but no one else is getting the tattoo it’s only me.

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@NorCalDan 144896 wrote:

wait ,so you’re going to get a 2-3 hour tattoo for £100 (about $155 US,right ? ) ?!?!?!?? is this guy in a regular shop ?

Nah, excess of £100

So it’ll probably be £60 an hour, and 2-3 hours means £120 or £180 ($190 or $280)

I’m hoping the fact there’s no shading and it’s all one colour will keep the time down. But I won’t know until I go for the consultation. Of course I’ll look at their previous work (my friend has gone to this tattoo artist) and stuff.

I might be totally wrong about the price, it might be £60 for half an hour or something. If so I’ll get the work done in stages (but I’m hoping that can be avoided).

Afink87
Participant
@afink87

Lemme barf in my mouth a little cause I don’t like your tattoo… Fuck everyone else. Get what you want. Although you could be a little more creative.

Lilystar88
Participant
@lilystar88

@Afink87 144902 wrote:

Lemme barf in my mouth a little cause I don’t like your tattoo… Fuck everyone else. Get what you want. Although you could be a little more creative.

Thanks. I’ve thought about this a lot (9 months +). I do have a low pain threshold so it’s gonna hurt a lot, and this is the only thing worth the pain.

I do get the whole creativity thing though normally I’m much more creative. But cost, time, pain threshold influence my decision ALSO the spinal node effect is something I like. But yeah I understand the creativity comment.

Call_me_Lola
Participant
@call_me_lola

Your artist is going to have to be really good, I mean REALLY good to execute this well. That is a lot of characters and they (and the spacing) are going to have to be neat, even, straight and consistant or it is going to be a mess. Good luck with that.

Well, I guess that wasn’t very encouraging.

Dan
Participant
@dan

@Lilystar88 144901 wrote:

Nah, excess of £100

So it’ll probably be £60 an hour, and 2-3 hours means £120 or £180 ($190 or $280)

I’m hoping the fact there’s no shading and it’s all one colour will keep the time down. But I won’t know until I go for the consultation. Of course I’ll look at their previous work (my friend has gone to this tattoo artist) and stuff.

I might be totally wrong about the price, it might be £60 for half an hour or something. If so I’ll get the work done in stages (but I’m hoping that can be avoided).

@Lilystar88 144900 wrote:

The tattoo isn’t really for other people, that’s why I’m getting it on my spine. No one is really gonna see my spine. So I’m not imagining many others will see the tattoo, the tattoo has meaning to me.

Basically, I’m a writer. Poetry is really meaningful to me and resonates with me. I had a rough year, the psalms got me through. I also like them they’re poetic.

I get that the religious thing aggravates some unpleasant feelings in people, but no one else is getting the tattoo it’s only me.

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea or not to get it,all I’m saying is get the right artist to do it,and it’s silly you think nobody else will see it.you will wear a bikini or tank top at some point in your life ! right !?!?

Afink87
Participant
@afink87

I hope your pious and well mannered. I purposely don’t get religious tattoos and def not bumper stickers, cause I’m a bitch and I don’t want to represent my faith negatively.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.