ChaosDani
    Participant
    @chaosdani

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on this artist?
    Nathan Mould – Artisan Tattoo

I think the style is really beautiful and interesting, and I like his work. How do you think this style would hold up? I’m concerned about the longevity of some of the techniques he uses. He does a lot of super tiny details, dotwork, and white ink over top of black ink. I know usually white fades like a bitch, but what happens when you put it over black ink? And am I seeing a little shaky line work in there, or is that just the whole straight-lines-on-a-curved-object thing?

I’m thinking of letting him do some mandalas on me. Not sure about the placement yet. Maybe backs of the legs. Nothing much bigger than the palms of my hands. I don’t want to give up that much space for this style.

Thanks,
    Dani

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

There are loads of great artists doing this style, I like it!

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Some will hold up and some of it won’t
    Screen-Shot-2014-02-28-at-7.19.05-PM.png
    If not well cared for this will just be a crappy outline in a few years.

His line work is pretty rough

ChaosDani
    Participant
    @chaosdani

That’s one of the ones I was thinking when I said the line work was shaky. Actually, that is a really crappy tattoo all around. The line work, and the shapes, and it’s already pretty much a blob. I don’t know why he would even put it in his portfolio. I was trying not to judge based on just one really bad one though. I’ve seen even the best artists put out some work that was sub-par (ok, maybe not anything as bad as that circle moon blob, but I wouldn’t consider this guy a world class artist).

1656092_501186133335755_891298727_n.jpg

This one doesn’t look bad to me. I think he’s good at creating symmetry. Maybe it’s just because there’s so much going on that my eyes can’t focus on any particular detail that stands out as bad. Or maybe he’s just inconsistent. I don’t know that I want to risk it. That’s why I came here to ask you knowledgeable and wonderful people. Would you risk it? How much sub-par work would you overlook in someone’s portfolio if you really liked their style?

peterpoose – any other artists off the top of your head that do this style well?

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Line work is still pretty bad on that one also

ChaosDani
    Participant
    @chaosdani

Thanks for your input. I’m gonna pass on this artist then.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

@ChaosDani 142704 wrote:

I’m gonna pass on this artist then.

Good choice I would also

ChaosDani
    Participant
    @chaosdani

Ok, so let me throw another artist at you. Thoughts?

Rob Diamond – Rob Diamond Art – Tattoo Portfolio

I like how he does skulls. I would get some kind of decorated animal skull from him.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@ChaosDani 142709 wrote:

Ok, so let me throw another artist at you. Thoughts?

Rob Diamond – Rob Diamond Art – Tattoo Portfolio

I like how he does skulls. I would get some kind of decorated animal skull from him.

I like Rob’s style. I don’t have any work by him. (Yet)

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

Much better choice

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

I’m not usually a skully kind of girl, but I like his. I say GO FOR IT!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.