lnakya
    Participant
    @lnakya

Hi everyone,

I’m planning a tattoo for my 18th birthday (in March next year), and I know that many artists have an incredibly long waiting list so I would rather sort things out now, do my research etc than leave it too late. I have a few ideas of what I want, and many ideas of what I don’t want. But for now, could anyone point me in the direction of someone who does this sort of style? I would like to look at more work before I commit to anything.

ri6lqs.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help ๐Ÿ™‚

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Kudos on doing your research early. That’s the smart thing to do.

The only honest advice, guidance and constructive criticism I can give you is:

Don’t, under any circumstances, get a tattoo for your 18th birthday.
    It is almost 100% certain that it will be horrible, that you will regret it, and that you will have to either have it removed or covered in a few years time.

I realize this is not what you want to hear, but I couldn’t be more honest.

lnakya
    Participant
    @lnakya

@ArniVidar 140520 wrote:

Kudos on doing your research early. That’s the smart thing to do.

The only honest advice, guidance and constructive criticism I can give you is:

It is almost 100% certain that it will be horrible, that you will regret it, and that you will have to either have it removed or covered in a few years time.

No, I do honestly appreciate it. However even though I am under 18 I have 3 tattoos that were done abroad in a country that didn’t have a minimum age restriction at the time. I do not regret them, I love them very much and consider them a part of me even though they are not exactly to my taste now.
    I do thank you very much for your input anyway and hope that your advice doesn’t come from unfortunate firsthand experience!

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@ArniVidar 140520 wrote:

Or more ageist. While she likely doesn’t have the kind of coin required to get a nice tattoo at age 18, I don’t think being 18 makes her totally incapable of good decisions.

I love those Thai inspired tattoos, and have a tiger that’s sort of neo Traditional but inspired by stuff like that. I think being 18, you have to more carefully consider:

1) Is it realistic to travel? Even a few hours.

2) Is it realistic to get the funds necessary for this?

3) Where do you live? (Non-specifics, please, since you’re under 18.) If you live in Achin’ Asshole, Alaska, but intend to move to Seattle for college, save your $500 worth of birthday money from Gram-Gram and wait until you have better access to artists.

lnakya
    Participant
    @lnakya

@GrayCatLove 140523 wrote:

Or more ageist. While she likely doesn’t have the kind of coin required to get a nice tattoo at age 18, I don’t think being 18 makes her totally incapable of good decisions.

I love those Thai inspired tattoos, and have a tiger that’s sort of neo Traditional but inspired by stuff like that. I think being 18, you have to more carefully consider:

1) Is it realistic to travel? Even a few hours.

2) Is it realistic to get the funds necessary for this?

3) Where do you live? (Non-specifics, please, since you’re under 18.) If you live in Achin’ Asshole, Alaska, but intend to move to Seattle for college, save your $500 worth of birthday money from Gram-Gram and wait until you have better access to artists.

I live in London. I would travel for the right tattoo but I would definitely prefer to stay in England. And money isn’t too much of an issue.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

I would also say wait. But if you must try Tutti Serra(click here) He would nail that tattoo

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Check out my signature link below on a PC preferably!

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

@lnakya 140522 wrote:

No, I do honestly appreciate it. However even though I am under 18 I have 3 tattoos that were done abroad in a country that didn’t have a minimum age restriction at the time. I do not regret them, I love them very much and consider them a part of me even though they are not exactly to my taste now.
    I do thank you very much for your input anyway and hope that your advice doesn’t come from unfortunate firsthand experience!

Ah, good! I just assumed that since you were getting it for your 18th birthday this would be your first. The sad fact is that most people that get tattoos that young regret it later. I’m glad that you are not (yet) one of those ๐Ÿ™‚

And no, I came late to the party and was “old” when I got it, so my first (and so far only) tattoo was some 2-3 years in the making and I’m extremely happy with it ๐Ÿ™‚

Ageist or not, it’s just the truth. We’re all idiots at that age. You were one, I was one, and Inakya (sorry about that, and I mean this in the nicest way possible) IS one ๐Ÿ˜€
    Being a young idiot, however, does not mean you (people in general) are incapable of making good decisions. It’s just not very likely that you do. ๐Ÿ˜›
    Heck, there’s plenty of us that are old idiots and still making nothing but bad decisions.

) Where do you live? (Non-specifics, please, since you’re under 18.)

I don’t get that bit. What does her age have to do with where she lives? And 18 is not “the” age for the entire world, either. In fact, it’s different in most places for different things ๐Ÿ™‚

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

@ArniVidar 140535 wrote:

Ageist or not, it’s just the truth. We’re all idiots at that age. You were one[…][/quote]

Quote:
    I don’t get that bit. What does her age have to do with where she lives? And 18 is not “the” age for the entire world, either. In fact, it’s different in most places for different things ๐Ÿ™‚

You may want to hold off projecting your own character onto everyone else. I wasn’t an idiot at 18. People are largely idiots at every age, or not idiots. Inexperience doesn’t equal idiocy, but not every 18 year old is inexperienced, either. Older doesn’t necessarily imply smarter/wiser. I guarantee I was making better decisions at 18 than a lot of 40 year olds, and I’m not so quick to assume all 18 year olds are stupid. That would be, well, stupid.

We have young people (under 25) on this forum that I respect the opinions of just as much as the old farts.

Not a good idea for a non-adult to post where she lives; whether or not it’s the age of consent is immaterial, but whether or not she’s a legal adult, which is common in a lot of Western countries.

Aiken Drum
    Participant
    @aiken-drum

@buttwheat 140528 wrote:

I would also say wait. But if you must try Tutti Serra(click here) He would nail that tattoo

I’d second Tutti at Black Garden. A girl I know has a half sleeve from him and it’s gorgeous.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.