gawj1512
    Participant
    @gawj1512

Hey guys, sorry I haven’t posted in a while. I had a half sleeve drawn up recently to include some tiny intricate details that is to be done by a very capable apprentice. I showed it to another artist, who’s been in the game 40 odd years and he told me no way to have anything done that small as it would bleed out. The apprentice’s mentor says it’s fine to go ahead. Now what!? Stuck in the middle of the opinions of 3 artists, 1 with 40yrs experience, 1 with 10/15yrs experience and 1 with 2yrs experience. All of whom, in my opinion, are equally good artists.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Well, you have a few things to consider here. Has the apprentice or mentor ever done anything similar?
    A LOT has changed in 40 years. What was impossible to imagine 40 years ago, is common today. The tattoo industry changes, machines have changed, ink has changed, techniques have been improved, hell, needles have changed!
    You can do tiny tiny work with one needle. It is possible, and I’ve seen it myself. You do however, need a very good artist. I’d never leave it in the hands of an apprentice, unless it’s something they specialize in and have done, successfully, several times before.

Ask to see HEALED pics of work they have done with similar amounts of detail.

I know wonderful artists who have worked for 20-30 years, and they are great at what they do, but however, they haven’t kept up. They might never be able to do what certain apprentices learn early on today.

It’s probably completely possible, the question is if the artist you have chosen, can do it ๐Ÿ™‚

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@poxphobia 130754 wrote:

Well, you have a few things to consider here. Has the apprentice or mentor ever done anything similar?
    A LOT has changed in 40 years. What was impossible to imagine 40 years ago, is common today. The tattoo industry changes, machines have changed, ink has changed, techniques have been improved, hell, needles have changed!
    You can do tiny tiny work with one needle. It is possible, and I’ve seen it myself. You do however, need a very good artist. I’d never leave it in the hands of an apprentice, unless it’s something they specialize in and have done, successfully, several times before.

I know wonderful artists who have worked for 20-30 years, and they are great at what they do, but however, they haven’t kept up. They might never be able to do what certain apprentices learn early on today.

It’s probably completely possible, the question is if the artist you have chosen, can do it ๐Ÿ™‚

I think she said it all, not much I can add really ๐Ÿ™‚

gawj1512
    Participant
    @gawj1512

@poxphobia 130754 wrote:

Thank you for your response! The guy who started 40yrs ago is still working today, is it worth me naming? The piece I’ve had drawn up has tiny silhouettes amongst other things, of Peter Pan characters flying through the sky, the smallest of which may not be more than 1.5cm wide, I’ve been told will just be a blob in years to come.. it’s very worrying x

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@gawj1512 130758 wrote:

Thank you for your response! The guy who started 40yrs ago is still working today, is it worth me naming? The piece I’ve had drawn up has tiny silhouettes amongst other things, of Peter Pan characters flying through the sky, the smallest of which may not be more than 1.5cm wide, I’ve been told will just be a blob in years to come.. it’s very worrying x

Could you throw the links up to all 3 of their works?

gawj1512
    Participant
    @gawj1512

@peterpoose 130759 wrote:

Could you throw the links up to all 3 of their works?

Sure!

This is the guy (Marc Fairclough, Scribble Ink) with the 35/40yrs experience
    https://www.facebook.com/tattooistinessex?viewer_id=660388318

This is the guy (Oz, Sinister Scrawlings) with 10/15yrs experience
    https://www.facebook.com/SinisterScrawlings?fref=ts

This is his apprentice who has done my drawing (not sure if I can post due to copyright?)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kina-Turner-Tattoos/123843127789969?fref=ts

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@gawj1512 130760 wrote:

Sure!

This is the guy (Marc Fairclough, Scribble Ink) with the 35/40yrs experience
    https://www.facebook.com/tattooistinessex?viewer_id=660388318

This is the guy (Oz, Sinister Scrawlings) with 10/15yrs experience
    https://www.facebook.com/SinisterScrawlings?fref=ts

This is his apprentice who has done my drawing (not sure if I can post due to copyright?)
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kina-Turner-Tattoos/123843127789969?fref=ts

They all look pretty decent to me.

People do say that very fine detail will get lost as the ink spreads as it gets older. I am not an expert in this and I dont think anybody really knows enough about it now days with the many changes whether this will happen or not.

If it was me I would trust my own judgement and if it was something I wanted, then I would get it and suffer any consequences if they do appear ๐Ÿ™‚

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

Yeah…the only thing that hasn’t changed is the human body. And the aging effects it has on pigment. Its still not a good idea to have a bunch of small detail as it WILL get lost.

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Don’t post the drawing. There is a reason most artists won’t even let their scetches etc leave the studio. It’s for your eyes only until the tattoo is done ๐Ÿ™‚

gawj1512
    Participant
    @gawj1512

@peterpoose 130755 wrote:

I think she said it all, not much I can add really ๐Ÿ™‚

What happened to the last 2 posts on here? I gave you links to all 3 artists, they have disappeared?

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@gawj1512 130786 wrote:

What happened to the last 2 posts on here? I gave you links to all 3 artists, they have disappeared?

Still here for me:)

poxphobia
    Participant
    @poxphobia

Still here for me too ๐Ÿ™‚

And yes, you need to consider how its going to heal. That’s one reason for me not getting hyper realistic tattoos, they don’t always look so good a few years down the road… There is a reason old school tattoos never go out of fashion.

If you’re worried; Don’t do it. Simplicity can very often prove to be the best thing-

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

@van_tier1_tk6_nguyen 130809 wrote:

I agree ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.