mrchen
    Participant
    @mrchen

I have both, I prefer color tattooing, I think it is actually the much more difficult form, as an amateur artist who attended university I find color blends, pallets and light sourcing much more difficult in full color, but hey, that doesnt mean whizz, which one do you like and why

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

I prefer color. It’s more visually interesting than black and grey, and the point of tattoos is to look at them.

I like black and grey for some things, like horror theme tattoos or Halloween themes or Sak Yant style tattoos, but I think black and gray demands better art to be as visually commanding as its color counterpoints.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

All mine are color except my lower arms

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

It’s as simple as this. Would you rather watch a movie in color, or black and white?

Just as in movies, and tattoos, there are “classics”. They are the movies like, “Key Largo” (with Humphrey Bogart) that should be in black and white.
    And classic tattoos like, “Clint Eastwood” portraits.

Just to mess with your thoughts, shouldn’t a “Wizard of Oz” tattoo be in both black and gray AND color?

Zorba
    Participant
    @zorba

I currently have 2 – one of each. Future tattoos will probably be color – but my B&W looks better as such. Black roses are, well, black.

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

@Zorba 129478 wrote:

I currently have 2 – one of each. Future tattoos will probably be color – but my B&W looks better as such. Black roses are, well, black.

Zorba and black rose? Both rare things. As a horticulturist, unusual examples or flowers and plants are intriguing. The black rose, white choral bells, a white zinnia, and of course pussy willow. Zorba, on the other hand is unique because he bucks the stereotype of belly dancers. A male belly dancer! I had an uncle that could “Shimmy dance”. (must have been similar)

I’ve never seen a truly black rose, and I’ve never met Zorba. Perhaps it’s time I start my “bucket list”?

yodaddynukka
    Participant
    @yodaddynukka

I love both. So I have lots of work from both. I purposely got b/g on my arms because b/g holds better against the sun

newdragon
    Participant
    @newdragon

It really depends on the piece. Overall though I prefer colour and the more the better.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

I love both but worry about colour and the way it fades.

Saying that I am starting to get some colour ones soon, have one with Tofi in August 🙂

jerryatrophy
    Participant
    @jerryatrophy

My arms are 90% black and grey. But recently I have started appreciating color in tattoos. And I plan to do full color on my chest.

mrchen
    Participant
    @mrchen

I have wondered what you all would say, seems a lot of high end work being done in black and grey, but don’t tell those guys, I think color kicks its ass
    I agree there are some pieces that look better in b and g, but overall, I love color, the more the better

Call_me_Lola
    Participant
    @call_me_lola

I really do love the look of a B&G sleeve. And if I had ever planned to do a sleeve I probably would have gone that way.

But for, not sure what to call them except ‘here and there??’ tattoos or I guess ‘single’ tattoos, I like them better in colour.

So I started with beautiful colour tattoos. (That recently seem to be trending toward a sleeve. Oops. ;))

mrchen
    Participant
    @mrchen

It does surprise me how many really ambitious technical super pieces are being done and done in black and grey, I think color is the real challenge and I am glad to see those artists who stay with color taking on these great works too. I think it looks so much better, watching Nikko, Porter, Emsinger, Oleg, Boris, the artists of the orient

and dozens of others kick it out in color, both styles kick ass when applied by the worlds best, but in color, i think it’s more beautiful

Tecratt
    Participant
    @tecratt

I like color better.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.