NikkiFro8994
    Participant
    @nikkifro8994

I have 2 tattoos: one on my left ankle and the other on my right shoulder blade. Here are the picture of my tattoos.
    Storm tat | Flickr – Photo Sharing!
    Butterfly tat | Flickr – Photo Sharing!

The next one I want is going to be a lighthouse and a sailing boat (3 masted schooner) with “Matthew 5:16” in script above it. It’s a tribute to my grandfather who passed away nearly 2 years ago. My issue is that I have no idea where to put it. If it put it on my left shoulder, it would clash with my butterfly. I don’t want it on my other ankle either. I am trying to avoid my ribs/abdomen. I want kids one day and a tattoo there would stretch with pregnancy. My arms are also off limits. The company I work for has a “no visible tattoo” policy.

Where should I put this tattoo? I’m not getting it until I have money that I can spend. Also, my personal tattoo rule is that I have to know exactly what I want without changing my mind for a year before I get it. That way I won’t regret getting it later in life.

Any input is appreciated.
    Nikki

Sam-I-Am
    Participant
    @sam-i-am

Welcome to the forum!

Your tattoos are nice, but I don’t care for text on a tattoo. I would try to find some kind of symbolism to honor your grandfather.

NikkiFro8994
    Participant
    @nikkifro8994

@Sam-I-Am 126729 wrote:

I would try to find some kind of symbolism to honor your grandfather.

The lighthouse and boat are my symbols. The verse reference is going to be in the same script as my ankle, though not at the central piece. I want the boat and lighthouse as the main part.
    My grandpa was in the navy. He loved making and collecting models of lighthouses and 3 masted schooners. Matthew 5:16 is the verse my uncle used at the funeral. “Let your light shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven.” This is the verse my grandpa lived by. The lighthouse ties into the first part of the verse.

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

You wont get much love from the tattoo community with text tattoos as they are normally cheesy, unimaginative and a waste of good canvas ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’ as they say.

Love your butterfly but not a fan of the other one.

I’ve seen some awesome ship and lighthouse tattoos recently, if you would like me to link them let me know 🙂

NikkiFro8994
    Participant
    @nikkifro8994

@peterpoose 126757 wrote:

I’ve seen some awesome ship and lighthouse tattoos recently, if you would like me to link them let me know 🙂

That would be great! Thanks! 🙂

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

Heres a couple, I did have more but cannot seem to find them at the moment 🙂

kbav11.jpg

15pit5w.jpg

NikkiFro8994
    Participant
    @nikkifro8994

I like the lighthouse, but the boat isn’t the type i’m looking for. My grandpa loved the 3 masted schooner which is a sailboat.

This is the boat I want…..
    boat | Flickr – Photo Sharing!

With this lighthouse…..
    rock waves | Flickr – Photo Sharing!

On this rock.
    clouds | Flickr – Photo Sharing!

Combining pictures to mike the one in my head, kind of. These are just the general idea. I’ll let my artist put his own spin on it like I did with my others.

NikkiFro8994
    Participant
    @nikkifro8994

I’ve been doing some thinking on where to put it. Would the outside of my right calf be a good spot?

GrayCatLove
    Participant
    @graycatlove

If you’re concerned about “regret,” then I wouldn’t do a calf placement if you think you may enter a career and want the option of wearing a knee length skirt in a work environment. Given that I have to watch placement and am expected to be a “pillar of the community,” if I wanted such a tattoo, I’d do it on my side or on my thigh.

NikkiFro8994
    Participant
    @nikkifro8994

I have one on my left ankle so the skirt option is already out. The regret is more of I have to love the tattoo 10, 20, 50 years from now. I don’t want to get something because I think it’s cute at the time. My tattoos have to have a lot of meaning to me before they are put there forever.

buttwheat
    Participant
    @buttwheat

get it on your other shoulder/back area

peterpoose
    Participant
    @peterpoose

I don’t think this would work on any small area like you calf or ankle. Go bigger like a thigh piece. If you try sticking that on your ankle it will look like a blob 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.