jasoncol
Participant
@jasoncol

Hi

I wanted to ask you guys a question in regards to white ink, I have a tribal sleeve that was done a few years ago (have 2 pics on here in album), since then I have had some heavy shading and some white put through it to highlight it a little, (will put another 2 pics in my album shortly to show you what I mean) now I know that white ink is a bit touch and go in regards to its use as its meant for highlights and such but I seem to hold it really well in some areas. My question is, if I go over the places the white ink has not held properly a few more times will this increase the chances of it holding the white ink in?, being carfull not to scar the areas of course. I have been told that if you go over white ink to often it can actually cause the exsisting white to fade or bleed out (this sounded ridicuilous to me but you never know) anyway any advice is greatly apreciated and I will put some pics up .

cheers guys

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
jasoncol;115082 wrote:
Hi

I wanted to ask you guys a question in regards to white ink, I have a tribal sleeve that was done a few years ago (have 2 pics on here in album), since then I have had some heavy shading and some white put through it to highlight it a little, (will put another 2 pics in my album shortly to show you what I mean) now I know that white ink is a bit touch and go in regards to its use as its meant for highlights and such but I seem to hold it really well in some areas. My question is, if I go over the places the white ink has not held properly a few more times will this increase the chances of it holding the white ink in?, being carfull not to scar the areas of course. I have been told that if you go over white ink to often it can actually cause the exsisting white to fade or bleed out (this sounded ridicuilous to me but you never know) anyway any advice is greatly apreciated and I will put some pics up .

cheers guys

Well the white ink never goes anywhere. It’s still there. It’s simply that the pigment of your own skin shows through. So re-inking it with more of the same color isn’t going to change things. Now when I was getting inked by Luca Natalini, I asked him how the hell he did an entire snow scene tattoo and had it stay white-looking. He told me the trick is to use a gray base and I’m going to take his word on that as the white in the piece he did for me is still white.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

White ink is only good here and there on black and grey pieces etc. I have a skull on my arm in white and let’s just say it doesn’t stay white for long.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The bleed issue is where if you go over a piece of skin several times the scar tissue in the pores (which holds the pigment in place) tears and causes the ink to blow out.

This can cause a bleed or blur of the ink. The thing is to treat white pigment like any other ink and not go over the same area too many times.

As suggested a hint of gray wash or blue pigment mixed in often helps the white colour reflect from under the skin more.

My own white highlights barely made it 3 years and by five they had gone. As the tattoo is over 10 years I am going for a reshade in Sept but will prob get some highlights put back in but ask for some blue or silver in the mix this time.

Take care
Matthew

jasoncol
Participant
@jasoncol

Thanks everyone for the info, much apreciated, I will have a chat to my guy about adding the slightest bit of grey, blue or silver to the ink and see how it goes.

Cheers

Jay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.