andyew
Participant
@andyew

I thought I posted this last week. Wondered why I got no replies!

So I’ll try again.

I have no tattoos but I know what I want.

It’s a large upper back piece. I suspect it will take a while to do.

There are a quite a few good tattooists near home. However there are some really sensational artists an hour+ drive away.

I have always said quality is everything but this needs to be weighted against the practicality.

For example, can you drive after having a fresh back piece done?

Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

If the right artist for the piece is 1 hour or 1 day’s drive away, go for it. Sure you can drive with a fresh back piece. Bring some Tylenol. ๐Ÿ˜€

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

i drove 6hrs to my appointment, started at 6pm, finished at 5am and drove back home another 6hrs. and next day i flew another hour to get work from another artist. so yeah…

Cardinal
Participant
@cardinal

Not sure how comfortable you’d be driving after having had a back piece done, but it’s not impossible.

I will travel however far I need to go to get the work done by the person I would like to do it. I had a short train journey and a 30 min walk to get my upper back done. My thigh was train, a walk through London, another train – about 3 hours in total each way.

Personally, I would get the work done by the guy that is the best – you are unlikely to regret it.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

Ive seen people fly from australia to atlanta,
one is hour is nothing,
your lucky to have someone so close,
Ive driven 300 miles after 15 hours work, you do what you have to do,
if your session is real long you will be delerious and numbed by that time, sitting in a car for a hour wrapped in plastic wont be that bad,
go for quality, not conveinience, you will be much happier

InkedJames
Participant
@inkedjames

I live in the middle of the UK so im lucky enough to be within a few hours of anywhere in the country and theres nowhere I would consider too far in this country to travel for a tattoo! Most artists worth travelling for will have huge waiting lists anyway which gives you plenty of time to save for a hotel if you dont want to drive back after!

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

I drive from the UK to Poland for my sessions. Going this Sunday again. When I get back in July I will be driving to the Ukraine. So yes you can drive ๐Ÿ™‚

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

One hour drive isn’t bad. I’ve driven 1 hour plus for both my tattoos. It’s worth it.

TDP
Participant
@tdp

1 hour is nothing if you consider you are going to wear this ink for life. i travelled from norway to transylรธvania,romania to get my artists work. and am planning another 5 hour train journey in july for my next piece. its always totally worth it when i see the finished item ๐Ÿ™‚

Funk
Participant
@funk

An hour’s not bad at all! For my last piece I drove nearly six hours to get my work done, and then six hours back. If you don’t think the trip is worth making to get the work done by a truly amazing artist, maybe you need to rethink this whole thing!

shaggs2riches
Participant
@shaggs2riches

Mi9nes not on my back nor is it anywhere near being finished, but just to share. The tribal piece that starts on my neck and works its way down to my arm (again needs lots of work to finish) was done on a Thursday afternoon finished by 5 or around that time. I left the next morning at 4:00 to do a 18 hour long drive back home. Had to put a bit of pad where my seatbelt was sitting. Other then a bit of chaffing all was well. The worst part of it all is that I couldn’t afford to go out and get more work done in the past year and a half, and it might be as long as Christmas or longer till I can get back out. I have to do a bit of talking to the artist on the phone, and exchange some ideas through e-mail before I go. Also will have to meet with him once I get there for more planning before the next actual session commences. Really inconvenient, but it also makes me think about how I’m gonna turn it into a nice half sleeve that isn’t just a flat tribal design. Sorry for the long reply. :rolleyes:

TDP
Participant
@tdp

tribals are a choice.. u will find a way to make it unique.. work ure mind hard and be proud of ure ink.. make it URES ๐Ÿ™‚ looks good so far. lovin it

newdragon
Participant
@newdragon

Go for a drive. Some people would spend longer than that being pushed and shoved on public transport.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
yodaddynukka;113270 wrote:
i drove 6hrs to my appointment, started at 6pm, finished at 5am and drove back home another 6hrs. and next day i flew another hour to get work from another artist. so yeah…

This is all you need to know to know.

youdaddynukka you hardcore bastard!!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰ :P:cool:

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Well I drove for a whole year round in circles with no sleep. food or water. So I am more hardcore than Yoda!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.