organica
@

Hello all,

I had a great tattoo done by a local artist, and she told me that one touch up was included. She has since left the shop but the owner is honoring her free touch up offer. My question is this… I have heard that it is not necessary to tip an artist for a touch up because it’s “included” in the original price, but since I’m now getting it done by someone other than the original artist I’m not sure how much to give. It would feel wrong to not tip him since he made no money from the original tattoo. The cost was around $200 and I probably tipped around 25% (I really don’t remember). It is a line work tattoo and he said he will likely go over the whole thing again to make it look even. Do I tip him something comparable to what I gave the first artist?

Thanks for any advice.

L.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

for a complete re-line touch up I would tip about the same

Aussie Tom
Participant
@aussie-tom

Personally for touch up tips and tips in general really I prefer to give a gift rather than just a money percentage. Possibly get him some tattoo books, old records, antiques or something else that you know they may be into. I have found that they really get siked by this more than straight out money.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Get them a nice bottle of Jack Daniels or something.

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove
Wardy;112278 wrote:
Get them a nice bottle of Jack Daniels or something.

Potentially disastrous! I think it’s a bit bold to assume someone who works with a lot of alternative people must drink. Gifts are very personal, and the point of running a tattoo shop is to make money.

I think tipping $30-$40 is appropriate here.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
GrayCatLove;112312 wrote:
Potentially disastrous! I think it’s a bit bold to assume someone who works with a lot of alternative people must drink. Gifts are very personal, and the point of running a tattoo shop is to make money.

I think tipping $30-$40 is appropriate here.

Depends what the person who is tattooing you likes at the end of the day. I get all my tattoo’s for free and i tip them with i know what they like.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.