Rebecca612
Participant
@rebecca612

I’m part of an art exhibition ‘Deeper Than Art’ where we ask whether or not tattoos can be classed as an art form. During my research of this particular debate I have come across many professionals who have been told to coverr up their tattoos and even suggested they would lose their job if their skin art was on show. With police officers, doctors and nurses ordered to cover up I ask the question whether or not tattoos will be more widely accepted in the work place if everyone comes to the same conclusion that tattoos are art.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

the publics perception is changing,
however as the street shop and scratcher will probably always exist, as customers demand, not all tattoo will be in a class I would call art,

the artform tattoo has come along way in the last 5-10 years, but this older form of tattoo may never be accepted as art by the general public

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

Come on. There more lousy paintings than tattoos.

I can’t ever see it being that acceptable in my career for at least fifty more years. I don’t have any tattoos that are visible in dress clothes, but I think my personal style has affected career opportunities now. If I grew out my hair to a bob and got a deep tan and packed on 20 lbs. and looked more “approachable,” I would have had more job offers. My credentials speak for themselves, but you have to get someone to look again after a look at you, and guess what? If you look good in an Ann Taylor suit, that’s no longer to your benefit. A tattoo is another difference in a corporate world that wants everyone looking the same, no matter what the difference may really mean.

DragunRose
Participant
@dragunrose

I work in a “professional” setting and I do see tattoos becoming more tolerated in the business world. Cute little tattoos are becoming almost like ear piercings IMO and they are perceived as more of an accessory then art. I don’t ever see moderate to heavily tattooed people ever becoming fully accepted. The problem being the actual act of body modification itself. If I had a penny for every time some ignorant person said to me, boy you must really like pain or been told I should not have “mutilated” my body when they see just a small amount of my tattoos. As long as that is still associated with an “alternative” lifestyles for lack of a better term, I don’t see the professional world being able to look past that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.