liberated
Participant
@liberated

Ok, so I have my first tattoo on my upper back (Circular design). My plan is to get a second circular design below the first one in a smaller diameter, I need advice on how to make both tattoos “flow” together, the second is a phoenix with some red on it, should I shade the first tattoo with some red? Any ideas? Anyone interested in sketching something cool? Ill post images of my tattoo and the phoenix I am talking about (minus the background on the phoenix).

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Why not join the wing of the phoenix to the circular shape of the top piece?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I don’t see how you CAN make them flow together. A circle is a closed thing, and it is a boundary on it’s own. IMO they should not touch, nor should they in any way blend together.

BigZach
Participant
@bigzach
liberated;109256 wrote:
Ok, so I have my first tattoo on my upper back (Circular design). My plan is to get a second circular design below the first one in a smaller diameter, I need advice on how to make both tattoos “flow” together, the second is a phoenix with some red on it, should I shade the first tattoo with some red? Any ideas? Anyone interested in sketching something cool? Ill post images of my tattoo and the phoenix I am talking about (minus the background on the phoenix).

Look in my album.. I used that exact same picture for inspiration for my phoenix

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I have to agree with our moderator ArniVidar on this one, I dont see how anything can flow with a closed circle, two different pieces that should be seperate…………..digging the phoenix, I would do him full color witht he wings as they are in the picture with red fading into orange and into yellow and lighter

liberated
Participant
@liberated

Thanks everyone! I am thinking of putting this phoenix directly below my existing tattoo and maybe adding some red shading to the first tattoo so that there is a connection of sorts? Does that make sense?

@BigZach
, saw your album! Amazing work!!!!!

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i agree with the guys, dont let them touch, i also wouldnt bother putting the extra red around the existing one, no point messing with it to fit something else just leave them as 2 separate pieces that are just nearby ๐Ÿ™‚ good luck x

liberated
Participant
@liberated
kittykat200;109381 wrote:
i agree with the guys, dont let them touch, i also wouldnt bother putting the extra red around the existing one, no point messing with it to fit something else just leave them as 2 separate pieces that are just nearby ๐Ÿ™‚ good luck x

What about the location, underneath slightly smaller or the same diameter? thoughts?

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

is there a reason why you want/need it to be circular, like in your picture? or is it just because your current tattoo is circular? because there are some truly amazing works being done with phoenix’s (im planning one myself at some stage) and i dont think this design would necessarily so it justice. If that is definitely the one you like, then i personally would say either exact same diameter and leave enough space between that and the one above it, bigger will look odd and smaller, you will lose all the potential detail in the wings, shading and colouring.

Just seems kinda wrong to take a bird of new beginnings and freedom and wrap it in the confines of a circle though ๐Ÿ™ x

peterpoose
Participant
@peterpoose

Will Phoenix become the new koi, i like them also ๐Ÿ™‚

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200
peterpoose;109471 wrote:

quite frankly im not bothered lol i just have a thing for bird tattoos lol i wouldnt have a koi coz i dont like fish, not because they’re popular lol as long as its not the exact same one as someone elses its still a unique piece of artwork so that’s fine by me ๐Ÿ™‚ x

ArniVidar
@arnividar
peterpoose;109471 wrote:

Actually, the two have very similar symbolic meanings if you think about it.
The Koi is fighting the world, swimming up stream, and if he makes it all the way he changes into a Koi Dragon.
The Phoenix lives his life and is burned to a crisp, but is reborn from the ashes.

Both basically convey the fact that life can always get better, and if you fight your problems and deal with them, you can eventually be reborn into a better life.

This is a very powerful message, and it’s very understandable that so many people choose to get it portrayed on their skin.

My Phoenix tattoo will represent exactly that. I left my burning husk of an old self far away and changed it into a far better life where I am today. I was quite literally reborn in the emotional sense, and I think the Phoenix is going to be a very important image to wear ๐Ÿ™‚

Crackbaby
Participant
@crackbaby

I think it would be possible to flow them together if you would use the basic 3df8 concept Guy Aitchison uses in his biomechanical/organica pieces. That being said it may be complicated to join the free flowing concept of the 3df8 and the tribalish style of your original piece.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.