mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

then please dont get tattooed…………….a tattoo is forever, it is very personal and should reflect something about you, dont get ideas from the internet, dont get ideas from your friends, dont copy ideas from other peoples ink,though you can use it for inspiration. ………if you need help putting your ideas from your head to paper, go see a well researched artist of choice and get it drawn up together……………..if you have an idea, wait 6 months, if it is still a great idea, then ink it, dont rush, be personal, this isnt fashion its forever

just my 2 cents a personal opnion

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

I disagree somewhat based on what I’ve seen in every shop I’ve been into – those books and books of “get it now” tattoos. Some people decide they want a tattoo with no idea in mind and go into a shop. They flip through the poster boards on the wall or the artists books and say “I want that one”. Now, that isn’t to say in that scenerio there could be regret down the line.

But I do agree on the point of somebody coming to this forum, or a shop, or anywhere for that matter and say “I want a tattoo based on this. What should I get?” The difference between that and going into a shop and looking at a portfolio or those standard tattoo books is you are asking somebody else to paint a picture of of something that may have meaning to you. Those are the tattoos that should come from within. I wouldn’t come here and ask anybody to give me a tattoo idea based on my brother – it wouldn’t make any sense.

So – did my rambling above make any sense?

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

sure makes sense,

what I find strange is people asking random strangers for tattoo ideas?

what you cant find one yourself,
sure you can use flash books in shop if you want, explore the shops flash with an artist and maybe find something that hits you, that is you doing the work right?

I dont know……I am an independent thinker…….I think all people getting tattooed should be making their decision based on work they have done on their own or with the assistance of an artist

and I bet they will be alot happier in the long run that way……………but as always to each their own…………

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

I think the problem overall with people getting tattoos is that a majority of people don’t do any research into the tattoo industry before going about getting their first one. The mind says “always wanted one”, and the eyes see “tattoo parlor” and voila – tattoo. OK, maybe simplified, but I too was partially naive when I got my 1st this past July. I researched enough to find a reputable shop and artist. And my idea was in my head before I set foot into the shop, so to your point I guess I passed 🙂 .

If you walk into a shop and look at flash books and get one, that is still work you did. I still feel that’s where a lot of future regret comes from. But, someone may get a portrait of their wife and thought hard about it – then divorce. So still the risk of regret.

Obviously with the hours you’ve put on your skin, you have a deep feeling for tattoos. You put thought into each one, find the right artist – take the necessary steps to do your best to ensure a life-long tattoo you are happy with. I don’t think everyone needs to be that passionate.

Here’s a question. You go about asking people whether it be strangers or your best friend to come up with a tattoo idea for you. You think about the idea and like it and ultimately get it done. Who did the work? Doesn’t your thinking after you’ve asked thee question equal work on your own? Is it any different then a flash tattoo? In actuality that approach will probably give you a more unique tattoo than walking into a shop to look.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

You first point is right on, people just get inked, no work

after that………

I consider myself one of a kind…….what goes on my body will be my own design, with planning, completely my idea from start to finish

However if anyone else chooses to do it different, cool, your as unique as I am and that is your choice, but I think too many people rely on someone elses opinion…………that where they go wrong

come on, youre a rebel, your different, your smart, you dont need anyones ideas but your own

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa
mrchen;107873 wrote:
I consider myself one of a kind…….what goes on my body will be my own design, with planning, completely my idea from start to finish

However if anyone else chooses to do it different, cool, your as unique as I am and that is your choice, but I think too many people rely on someone elses opinion…………that where they go wrong

come on, youre a rebel, your different, your smart, you dont need anyones ideas but your own

My planning for my #2 tattoo is 100% as you have explained. This #2 tattoo of mine is born from my idea, my own art. Obviously the artist will render my idea in his vision because that is what I am paying him to do – not copy, but create art. The only opinion I will get on my cassette tape monster idea will be that from Gunnar (haven’t locked in date, but based on previous contacts it looks to be him), because not only will it be my idea on my skin, but it will also be his reputation as an artist and his professionalism on my skin.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

I agree with your original post. It seems like once a week someone is posting with a message:

“I want to get a tattoo, something that represents all that I’ve overcome in my life. What can I get?”

How do we know what is going to be an appropriate representation permanently etched into your skin for the rest of your life about whatever it is that you overcame? You have to have an idea, a concept, a theme, anything that will help give someone (hopefully your artist!) a place to begin with fleshing out your vision.

You need to have some sort of clue about what you want. Otherwise you are just giving in to a whim or scratching an itch, for lack of a better term. Plenty of people just have a crazy moment, maybe with a friend or two, and walk into a shop, grab a piece of flash art, and get something spur of the moment and have a great story to tell years later about that crazy night out on the town when they got an (insert random tattoo here) on their (insert random body part here).

If you are going to get a random tattoo to get a random tattoo, then just admit, go get it, and move on. But if you want something with meaning and purpose, then the idea has to come from within you. You may have a rough idea about what you want but you just aren’t quite sure how to put it together or make it work. That’s a great reason to post and ask some of the really smart folks here how to do something, but if you are asking strangers for meaningful tattoo ideas, just go into a shop and flip through the books. Much easier and you’ll be happier.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen
Briscogun;107886 wrote:
I agree with your original post. It seems like once a week someone is posting with a message:

“I want to get a tattoo, something that represents all that I’ve overcome in my life. What can I get?”

How do we know what is going to be an appropriate representation permanently etched into your skin for the rest of your life about whatever it is that you overcame? You have to have an idea, a concept, a theme, anything that will help give someone (hopefully your artist!) a place to begin with fleshing out your vision.

You need to have some sort of clue about what you want. Otherwise you are just giving in to a whim or scratching an itch, for lack of a better term. Plenty of people just have a crazy moment, maybe with a friend or two, and walk into a shop, grab a piece of flash art, and get something spur of the moment and have a great story to tell years later about that crazy night out on the town when they got an (insert random tattoo here) on their (insert random body part here).

If you are going to get a random tattoo to get a random tattoo, then just admit, go get it, and move on. But if you want something with meaning and purpose, then the idea has to come from within you. You may have a rough idea about what you want but you just aren’t quite sure how to put it together or make it work. That’s a great reason to post and ask some of the really smart folks here how to do something, but if you are asking strangers for meaningful tattoo ideas, just go into a shop and flip through the books. Much easier and you’ll be happier.

thats about as good as you can say it!

Thanks Briscogun and Metalmancpa for straightening out my thoughts

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

my entire leg sleeve and my back i gave full reign to my artist. i wouldnt recommend doing that unless you trust your artist 100%. but i pretty much agree with what u said.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
yodaddynukka;107937 wrote:
my entire leg sleeve and my back i gave full reign to my artist. i wouldnt recommend doing that unless you trust your artist 100%. but i pretty much agree with what u said.

Same for me. I’m giving Luca free reign on my left arm.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

you guys are in a different situation, you’ve done your research, ALOT of research and booked the best in the world……YOU MADE AN INFORMED DECISION, ON YOUR OWN……

the folks I worry about are not doing this, I feel (just my opinion) they are listening to others and following trends or curent fashion and I feel they should research and work with an artist and make a decision on their own

I dont feel (my 2 cents again) that they are ready to be tattooed unit you have found a design and an artist and you have put some time into your decision, quite a few nights sleep and you can now say it is a well made decision……….the results of the decison you make will last forever

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

On the flip side though, having the tattoo consumer who “just goes in for a tattoo” does provide business for an artist. Once an artist is well established this sort of client isn’t necessary anymore. But for a beginning artist, the flash and no thought clients who just want a tattoo can help a new artist grow and prosper with cash flow. The more work they do, the better their reputation, and hopefully better clients.

And of course the no thought clients can keep a crappy artist in business too.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

yeah, what hurts me is how many people have ink they regret……….it makes the artform and industry look bad………I hope……with information that is now available thru websites like this one and others that we can cut down on the number of pieces getting covered up and lasered off

I have seen statistics from 30-50% have a piece they regret, man thats shitty, I dont want to regret any and fortunately I dont

In my never to be humble opinion there are too many tattooists with not enough talent, they are being hired anyway because of demand, I have watched some in ATL for years, they dont get much better over time and really should be doing something else for a living………I think you could probably find some in your city too

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

I got my 1st when I was 17. I don’t regret it but I also don’t really like it anymore. I was totally unaware of the different levels of ability and credibility of artist but I figured tattoos are cool so I got one at the first place I saw. I’d maybe thought about the design for a week, straight of the internet but I thought (at the time) that it was cute.

I had no idea about portfolios etc and I didn’t until my 4th or 5th tat and even then I just totally lucked into a fantastic artist. I don’t think (some) people rush into getting inked because they’re impulsive I think some are just not aware of the ins and outs of the industry. I know there’s a lot of info online but there’s also a lot of guff and flash art online so unless you know to look for certain things in an artist you can’t look for them….if you get me. Unless you know about duff artists and the reputation of flash art you don’t know how to avoid them.

Also, what is the difference between asking a stranger and a tattoo artist for ideas about your tattoo? In most cases your tattoo artist is a stranger.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.