mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

I am saying this to assist people who havent gotten alot of tattoo work done.

Let your artist draw up your sketch………not your sister…….not your mom…….not a friend……..not me…..not enthusiast on this forum……not even another artist….why?

because this is what tattoo artists do………they dont like you to ask for work like Russ Abbott, dont mention another artists name, but yes, bring a refernce and show them, they dont like to be asked to tattoo like some else, and 99.99999% of the time they wont do any drawing your brought to them like its drawn.

they know what works as a tattoo and they want to create and original, they are artists.

tattooes require alot of thought, line weight and spacing, light source, direction, color pallet, body placement, how your piece will age and you dont know that stuff, they do.

I want you to have the best atttoo experience you possibly can. Grad some google images, print off a few, know your idea in your head, make sure it is one you have set your mind on for a few months as this stuff doesnt come off easy and go see your arist of choice in person, one that you have researched and you are confident they work in your style.

You will get the best work and wear the best ink and you will have begun a client/professional relationship that may benefit you in the future

Panter
Participant
@panter

This should be a sticky…

Adler
Participant
@adler

Yeah, good post. I just posted a link to this thread in another thread about a design request. Unfortunately so many people think they need to walk into a shop and hand an artist a pre-drawn sketch and say, “here, I want this.”

Amok
Participant
@amok
Panter;106948 wrote:
This should be a sticky…

Yes, and people should be forced to read it before posting in the request design section.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

you know these guys and girls became artists because they like to create,
so why dont we let them,
they also have alot of pride, their work is very personal,
dont ask them for someones elses work, let them do their thins,
they will do a better job, they will be more excited about the work, they will feel better about you as a client, they will appreciate your trust

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

I have a file at “my” shop. I stop in every week or so to chat. When I find something of interest I add it to my file. I made a rough sketch of my body with basic tattoo designs to outline the direction I want to go.
When an idea comes together we all talk about it, then the artist plays with the idea sometimes for weeks, before putting it on paper and we go from there. This way the artist has the time to utilize their creativity to the max.
It is irritating to me to witness customers that come in expecting a tattoo on the spot.

Dasch-attack
Participant
@dasch-attack

Its weird that I came across this again, i read this thread a while back and have contacted a couple artist ( Dan Henk, Jack Matisse, and Liz Cook) I told Dan and Jack a general idea of what I wanted and told them they could have free reign on it, and they both asked for a pretty detailed explanation of exactly what I want.

So I’m not sure if its just some artist but most of the artist I talked to want to know exactly what their client wants so they can make them happy I guess.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Dasch-attack;118767 wrote:
Its weird that I came across this again, i read this thread a while back and have contacted a couple artist ( Dan Henk, Jack Matisse, and Liz Cook) I told Dan and Jack a general idea of what I wanted and told them they could have free reign on it, and they both asked for a pretty detailed explanation of exactly what I want.

So I’m not sure if its just some artist but most of the artist I talked to want to know exactly what their client wants so they can make them happy I guess.

It depends on the artist. Some artists (e.g. portrait artists) work heavily from reference whereas others prefer free reign.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
Amok;106955 wrote:
Yes, and people should be forced to read it before posting in the request design section.

this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they should also be made to read it before signing up to the forum. and should pop up for everybody three times a month.

67Olds
Participant
@67olds

I had an idea of what I wanted when I went in to get my one and only tattoo. The artist drew his rendering right on my ankle/foot in marker. I fell in love with it instantly! He listened to what I wanted and gave me some suggestions about working it around my ankle bone.

67Olds
Participant
@67olds

I had an idea of what I wanted when I went in to get my one and only tattoo. The artist drew his rendering right on my ankle/foot in marker. I fell in love with it instantly! He listened to what I wanted and gave me some suggestions about working it around my ankle bone.

BertNaked
Participant
@bertnaked

Every single fucking person around me got their mind set on that “they” are going to draw the tattoo themselves, or have someone else than the artist to do it.
I keep telling them that you choose the artist for his style etc. etc, but they all think THAT is the wrong way to think.

jesus…

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Hey Bert,

This guy working on my leg really knows his shit! I gave him basic material and ideas and he “attacted” my leg with at least 5 colors of sharpie markers. After six hours I have the outline mostly done with some colorful pieces as well. There is little talking as he is really into his work. I can’t seem to post any photos until my profile mix up is corrected.
Later,

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Check out new album: “Pant leg” under construction

grizzly dunbar
Participant
@grizzly-dunbar

this is a great thread

I could image pope julius II standing in the sistine chapel as michelangelo is laying down the concepts of his work saying ‘no no, adam touching fingers with god, that will never work. where is your artistic vision? i said for them to be sat at a table arm wrestling!’ lol.

if you cant trust your tattoist to produce art you are happy with…. should you be giving them the time of day?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.