Participant
@50300

Help! im getting “You Only Live Once’ tattooed on me tomorrow in Irish Gaelic form my wrist all the way down to my hip and its going to be huge i just dont know the proper grammaer/translation for it as every website is different and i dont want the wrong words. its going in a straight line so please add all the commas or dashes whatever is needed

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I have no constructive help for you, but if you’re getting it done tomorrow, shouldn’t you have thought about the spelling a tiny bit sooner?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

He’s planning laser removal the day after tommorow.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

how is it going from wrist to hip in a straight line? have i missed something here? dont get anything in another language that you dont understand, that’s how that guy on dirty sanchez ended up with “i love johnny knoxville” tattooed on his leg in thai, he though it said “live fast die young”… GUTTED! lol just get it in english, at least then you can read and understand it yourself 🙂

KillianMick
Participant
@killianmick

Yeeeeeah…you’re a little late on this one, aren’t you? Gaelic is a tough language as it is, and the nuances can really alter things.

That being said, I would check here: http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/

The closest phrasing I know is: Níl agat ach saol amháin (and yes, the accent over the ‘a’ is mandatory!) but the literal translation is “You only have one life.” If you are dead set on the English version being exactly translated, you may not quite get what you need.

This is also pretty close, and a bit closer to the English, I think: Ní bhíonn ach saol amháin agat

And of course, then you have the issue of whether or not to transcript it into Gaelic script, or leave it in more Anglicized type.

Honestly, I wouldn’t do this on 24hrs (or less!) notice.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

Fuck these haters. Get it done as Killian Mick said: Níl agat ach saol amháin. You will have to stretch it out quite a bit for the space you want to cover but hey you only live once!

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

once again a like button would be really sweet right now lol thank you is just way too cordial lol

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
kittykat200;105337 wrote:
once again a like button would be really sweet right nowl

we can just use the thanks button as the like button 🙂

Amok
Participant
@amok

wrist to hip? that’s gonna look awesome!

just kidding

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
kittykat200;105337 wrote:
once again a like button would be really sweet right now lol thank you is just way too cordial lol

Seem’s like you spend to much time on Facebook 😉

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i got a facebook addict book from my mother in law for christmas lol i wouldnt say im an addict, i just prefer to speak to people that was coz its easier to ignore the ignorant ones lol

Participant
@50300

for one fuck ya’ll except buttwheat, its my personal choice no need to rag on it, im goin for it in 20 mins and for what reason? cause you only live once. i dont give a fuck i was just asking if u guys knew the proper grammer. and yea its gunna start at my wrist and follow down my arm and down my ribs and stop at the hip all in a staraight line. im 6’2 and skinny as fuck so i think it’ll look good

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

there’s no need to be rude about it lol all we’re saying is that you left it a bit last minute to find the correct translation for a language you dont understand. and if its going to fill up that amount of space with such a short sentence it seems to imply that you are either going to have the same line written over and over again or get it REALLY big… either way seems a bit odd so im sure you can understand the confusion?

but like i said, no need to be rude, do what you like…

Amok
Participant
@amok

you may think it looks great, but everyone else will think it looks stupid except they won’t be honest with you and say so. We here will tell you the truth, whether it hurts your feelings or not.

believe it or not we don’t want you to get a shit tattoo, if we did we’d tell you how great this idea is.

ps buttwheat was being sarcastic, he wasn’t defending your choice of tattoo.

ezrider
Participant
@ezrider
kittykat200;105401 wrote:
there’s no need to be rude about it lol all we’re saying is that you left it a bit last minute to find the correct translation for a language you dont understand. and if its going to fill up that amount of space with such a short sentence it seems to imply that you are either going to have the same line written over and over again or get it REALLY big… either way seems a bit odd so im sure you can understand the confusion?

but like i said, no need to be rude, do what you like…

Amok;105406 wrote:
you may think it looks great, but everyone else will think it looks stupid except they won’t be honest with you and say so. We here will tell you the truth, whether it hurts your feelings or not.

believe it or not we don’t want you to get a shit tattoo, if we did we’d tell you how great this idea is.

ps buttwheat was being sarcastic, he wasn’t defending your choice of tattoo.

Agreed……

If you do go with that placement, I do hope you will post up here afterward. I am very curious to see how that will look. Just don’t be surprised when people here tell you it doesn’t look good. I have only been on here a couple of weeks and can tell that most of the active members here will tell it like it is. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.