vala
Participant
@vala

hello all.

well i’ve decided on what I want my next sleeve to be.
basically I’m thinking on the elbow/rear triceps/rear lower forearm there to be a picture of a face bursting out through clouds. then on the inner part of my arm I’m thinking a lone figure standing at the edge of a cliff.
aside from that I’m stumped on ideas for the rest of the arm and was wondering if anyone fancied chucking a few ideas to me?
the face is to be kinda of menacing/determined looking, although at one point I was thinking of a hannya mask although upon reading into the meaning of them its not really going to work.

general idea of the piece is to show determination, taking a gamble.
i am considering a floral piece at the base, maybe as an option to show the benefits of a gamble in a positive way.
the ideas I have I don’t believe will fill my arm, so hopefully with some help from you guys and gals i’ll have more options.

all options will be presented to which ever artist i choose to give them a better understanding of what i want before letting them add their own touch.

thanks all

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Sounds cool man.

vala
Participant
@vala

cheers mate 🙂

Still can’t get any ideas together for the top part though, LOL.
I’m determined though to get the 3 main bits sorted, then just let whichever artist I choose do their thing.

xanderx
Participant
@xanderx

sounds a bit profound 😀

what have you got on the other arm (sleeve)? is this going to be a similar style? maybe we can shoot ideas from there…

vala;103221 wrote:
hello all.

well i’ve decided on what I want my next sleeve to be.
basically I’m thinking on the elbow/rear triceps/rear lower forearm there to be a picture of a face bursting out through clouds. then on the inner part of my arm I’m thinking a lone figure standing at the edge of a cliff.
aside from that I’m stumped on ideas for the rest of the arm and was wondering if anyone fancied chucking a few ideas to me?
the face is to be kinda of menacing/determined looking, although at one point I was thinking of a hannya mask although upon reading into the meaning of them its not really going to work.

general idea of the piece is to show determination, taking a gamble.
i am considering a floral piece at the base, maybe as an option to show the benefits of a gamble in a positive way.
the ideas I have I don’t believe will fill my arm, so hopefully with some help from you guys and gals i’ll have more options.

all options will be presented to which ever artist i choose to give them a better understanding of what i want before letting them add their own touch.

thanks all

vala
Participant
@vala

xanderx – the other arm looks like this

http://www.thetattooforum.com/start-my-first-tattoo-t10222.html?t=10222

best off going to the last couple of pages for images of the whole piece unless you want to sit through the process.

I think the only thing that makes it quite similar is the cliff as I have a mountain based part on my other arm, plus the individual figure although on my other arm there are other bits which add to it.

All ideas are welcome 🙂
I think with the last piece of the puzzle (the top area of my arm) covered I’ll be in a better position to let the artist fill in the gaps.

vala
Participant
@vala

Well hello folks and hope you all had a happy new year.

Well I’ve been struggling to get an idea down for the upper arm part of this sleeve design I’m thinking of so I think i’m just going to let that part be decided by whoever I have to do the tattoo.

Which now leads me to another question….who to get it done by??
I would like for this arm to be completed by a female artists (goes with the opposite theme of my other arm) and preferably within the UK area.

If anyone can suggest any artists for me to look into I would be most grateful.

So far I have contacted Hayley Hayes and Amanda Ruby and am awaiting a reply to see about when I could discuss my idea.

vala
Participant
@vala

Well after a bit of chopping a changing (not a bad thing I would say when designing a sleeve) I’m hopefully getting the idea I have done by Laura Satana. She’s normally based in France, however is over for the London Tattoo convention and has e-mailed me to say she has some time available during the weekend. Fingers crossed she’s happy with the idea (I’ve left the area in the upper arm up to her as I still can’t think of anything) and we’ll either be starting it end of this month, or at least finalising the idea at the convention!
If anyone wants to chuck over any ideas they think we’ll work with the sleeve (for the shoulder area) then please do fire away!
But hopefully I’ll be starting another ‘my sleeve in progress’ thread soon!

vala
Participant
@vala

Hello and thanks for the reply’s.

I’ve been in touch with an artist and we’ve come up with the main image being a figure at the edge of a cliff face, with only a minor amount of cliff/waves showing.
The overcast sky will be used in conjunction with a stormy overall effect.
Haven’t dialled in the final image in the clouds (which will be a face bursting through looking down) but am concentrating on the main image.

The idea has come about from this image of Abraham Lincoln

2m4u5h0.jpg

However I’m not too keen on the clothing worn. the face and stance I’m happy with (might be slightly modified by the artist).
Can anyone help with anything else I could have the the main figure dressed in?
Initially I thought a robe type outfit however I have an image in my other sleeve that has this so don’t want the same elsewhere.

If it helps the main idea of the piece is to show that sometimes to take a chance you need a little push/encouragement.

Panter
Participant
@panter

I know i’m guilty of keep saying this but it honestly sounds like the sort of thing you need to chat over with your artist. They’ll know what will work, and what won’t. and, if they don’t, go somewhere else!

You still getting it done at the convention?

vala
Participant
@vala

Panter – having being in contact with the artist the first thing discussed was the stance etc. He advised of this image but has mentioned the clothing could be changed.
Thinking about this upto now I’ve had an idea that could in some way link my existing sleeve. Basically on the other arm I have an image of a figure dressed in a robe type outfit, thinking now that this figure could be part of this sleeve as well but this time round it would be in more detail. I’ve got to e-mail him at some point today but will mention this idea.
His last e-mail to me said he could do this part on Sunday at the convention. I’ve got tickets for the Saturday though (it was always just a chance that it could get started at the convention) but he reckon 2 long sessions should have everything complete.

Panter
Participant
@panter

Good stuff, sounds as if that could work well.

I’ll keep an eye out in case you’re there Sunday, that’s when we’re going 😎

vala
Participant
@vala

Thought I’d bring this thread back to life as over the past weekend I’ve got myself booked in for my next sleeve (09/06/14). It will be done by Melissa Szeto who is currently working at Love Hate Social Club in Notting Hill, London.
I’ve been discussing my ideas through e-mails with her and went over what I have thought of so far when I saw her on Saturday. However aside from what’s been mentioned in this thread nothing new has come to light. She noted she probably won’t start sketching something up till early May however did encourage me to continue to fire over any ideas I had that could be added/incorporated into the design.

So if anyone can suggest anything to go with the theme mentioned for me to think over it would be much appreciated.
I’m also interested in any quotes that could be related to the theme of ‘taking a risk’, ‘grit and determination’ etc etc. My last sleeve was based on a quote I came across and it helped when trying to make a pictorial representation of it.

Sam-I-Am
Participant
@sam-i-am

Sure hope to see some pictures when it’s done.

Good luck!

vala
Participant
@vala

Sam-I-Am – no problem. I’ll probably just start a progress thread as per my other sleeve.

Still open to listening to any ideas anyone has for this sleeve.

BertNaked
Participant
@bertnaked

It sounds to me like you’ll have a lot of negative space that’s mostly consist of filler / background as clouds / water or something.
I would make a drawing of the outer lines of my arm, and add the image you have in your head of the tattoo on that.

cloud-shading-legs-tattoo-78337.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.