American Idol
Participant
@american-idol

I’m into words. And thus I enjoy creating slogans. If you’re like me, a bit of a psuedo-wordsmith, would you consider copyrighting a slogan, a slogan that you created and one that you intend to use with a tattoo….BEFORE you put it in front of the artist’s eyeball$?

In this case the slogan is an original slogan that you’re darn proud of. Of course in this scenario it’s obvious that one artist, the tattoo artist, will be privy to it. I really don’t like the idea of a personal slogan of mine being stolen without getting some form of credit for it. Especially when there’s a chance that it might be passed around the local bar, gym, swimming hole, or Internet for everyone to use as they wish.

Furthermore, it’s kind of a big deal for me as the 16 word slogan I have in mind will be the epitaph on my gravestone.

Now sure, once I’m dead I won’t have a need to concern myself with something like this – but I may be around for awhile. And if I am, I would expect anyone who uses an original slogan that I created (a poetic slogan) to pay me for it. I’m the type of individual who would never consider tattooing a cliche’ or someone else’s poetic phrase on my body. To do so would be sacrilegious or like aligning your genitals over a dull, rusty sword and then falling on it balls first. And OUCH that’s no good as I’m not into cutting myself. Look, I’ll use an artist’s drawing (because I can’t draw worth a lick) but never their words. I’ll use only my words, no one else’s, and that includes the words of any famous writer or poet you can think of be that writer Hemingway, Bukowski, Chekov or Tolstoy.

Maybe the copyright process is too involved, too complicated, too lengthy, too time consuming, what say you about something like this?

Knitrocks
Participant
@knitrocks

I think it would be a lot of work. The words will still be yours you know. Its what you feel about the words that means something. I dont know. I would not do it.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Thanks for the laugh.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I just read this 3 times and I’m still unsure what I just read.

arnoldsantos1
Participant
@arnoldsantos1
buttwheat;100063 wrote:
I just read this 3 times and I’m still unsure what I just read.

something about text tattoos and how cool they are.

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

You may be interested to know that many people, myself included have tattoos that incorperate slogan, logos and copywritten text from massive corporations and world leading authors. I dont know of anyone who has been sued successfully by any company and to be fair to everyone, if Coke and Google etc have never bothered to try and protect there interlectual property I suspect this is because firstly they know that there is little chance of winning and secondly if they did win the damages would be so small as to make it financially worthless.

Having said all of the above good luck with your tattoo and I hope it brings you joy.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Copyrighting your slogan is actually very simple in most countries especially in Europe and USA and is simple form and a fee to do so.

All a copyright does is acknowledges that you are the holder to the right of the intellectual property of said brand, phrase, logo etc.

However the problem that comes into practice is that you cannot copyright commonly used words only the particular style of the logo or design (usually as a trademark).

EG Coke as a word can refer to the drink, cocaine, or coal residue. What is copyrighted is the style in which coca-cola writes their word coke as a trademark.

So I can write the word coke as many times as I feel but as long as not in the trademark style of coca-cola.

Enforcing it is another issue – if somebody on the street is heard to say ‘I’m loving it’ McDonalds are unlikley to take infringement action as it is a known phrase and hard to prove connected to McDonalds advertising (as could be about any situation).

If they took the trademark term and put across internet and goods they are selling McDonalds may put forward a cease and desist infringement. As directly effects their business.

However it can cost big bucks in litigation. These are very crude examples as I am not a lawyer but common sense on how it works roughly.

In short yes you can copyright your piece and to a certain extent enforce it but depends on how far and particular you want to go and how much you are willing to spend on the enforcement.

Take care
Matthew

American Idol
Participant
@american-idol
Sherav;100091 wrote:
Hi
Copyrighting your slogan is actually very simple in most countries especially in Europe and USA and is simple form and a fee to do so.

You’re right and I agree. Fact is
1) I thought it would cost thousands of dollars to copyright it. Fact is it only costs about 60 bucks in the U.S.
2) The wait time is about 90 days to receive a copyright
3) I learned the aforementioned details after I posted this thread starter
4) Now that I realize it’s dirt cheap, of course I’ll copyright my work, since it’s easy and can be done online at the U.S. Copyrights website
5) Made a mistake when I posted this, it’s not a slogan, it’s a short, 16 word poem that will go on my gravestone

JENerationX
Participant
@jenerationx

I hope you plan on never showing the tattoo to anyone or allowing any pictures of it. You’d be amazed what people will rip off, especially if they see a phrase and don’t know who wrote it. Most people don’t care. What are you going to do if you see someone with your poem tattooed on them?

Amok
Participant
@amok
JENerationX;100278 wrote:
I hope you plan on never showing the tattoo to anyone or allowing any pictures of it. You’d be amazed what people will rip off, especially if they see a phrase and don’t know who wrote it. Most people don’t care. What are you going to do if you see someone with your poem tattooed on them?

I don’t think you can do ANYTHING unless that person is making money from the copyrighted poem.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

If it is a poem or other form of copyrighted literature that is original, unique, and copyrighted you can claim damages or a royalties loss.

Not heard of one where it has been tattooed on though – as mentioned ppl will copy or rip anything they see on the net.

I personally would take it as flattering that somebody thought my words were good enough to have on their body for life.

Take care
Matthew

American Idol
Participant
@american-idol

I’d be honored if I saw my poem tatted on their body but the chances of that are so small it’s ridiculous to think about it. The copyright gives me peace of mind that the words are mine. And not yours. If someone reads my tattoo I can say with all sincerity that “Those words are mine, I got ’em copyrighted.” I was also thinking about having some of my email addresses and Youtube usernames tatted on as they too are original and some of them sound good, IMO. But the thing is you can’t count on Gmail or Hotmail or Ymail to not change their name, and so thus that idea is on the shelf, for now. I got lucky with some phrases as some names represent 1) a Youtube account 2) an email address 3) a domain name. It’s nice when you can nab a unique, good sounding name cause it’s like a game in that you’re beating millions of other people. It’s even better when you can sink that good sounding, two or three word username into an email address, Youtube account and a domain name. But ya gotta be lucky. And ya gotta have a knack for creating unique, original phrases – or the time and energy to check on a favorite cliche’ that just popped into your head. You need those attributes cause you’re competing against people from all around the world. So what would i do in the event I saw my words tatted on a persons body or plastered on a billboard or written in a book or shown in a movie? I’d try and ascertain their financial status and if they were well to do (rich, affluent) I’d go after them in court to try and win a judgement against them. If they’re rich and well to do I’d ask them to put some money in my Paypal account because the words and the message/idea behind the words are mine and I’ve got a copyright to prove it. And if the rich rock and roller denied that request I’d drag them into a court of law to try and have them penalized and to get what’$ mine.

Amok
Participant
@amok

Thanks for the laugh again.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I have Ed Hardy on my penis.

HarrisAlanify
Participant
@harrisalanify
American Idol;100223 wrote:
You’re right and I agree. Fact is
1) I thought it would cost thousands of dollars to copyright it. Fact is it only costs about 60 bucks in the U.S.
2) The wait time is about 90 days to receive a copyright
3) I learned the aforementioned details after I posted this thread starter
4) Now that I realize it’s dirt cheap, of course I’ll copyright my work, since it’s easy and can be done online at the U.S. Copyrights website
5) Made a mistake when I posted this, it’s not a slogan, it’s a short, 16 word poem that will go on my gravestone

Since copywriting my poem (somthing like that) is not that difficult, if I have an excellent desigh which may bring me profit or I want to let the design be unique, I’ll apply for a copyright. Anyway, I have never apply for a copyright yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.