hijomojo
Participant
@hijomojo

Hi everyone,

I’ve just been doing some research on tattoos for a university project that I’m currently doing. One of the parts of this research is to ask people what their tattoo is, when they got it and why they got it/what it means.

So, I was wondering if you guys would be able to help me out with this by telling me what one (or some) of your tattoos are, when you got it and why you got it/what it means to you? (If you’re willing to, pictures would really, really, help for this :D)

Thanks for any help guys,
Looking forward to hearing from you ๐Ÿ˜€

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Hi.

Can’t remember at time when i didn’t want my fingers tattoo’d so i thought fuck it lets DO IT!

For my gorgeous fiancee.

Me and 3 friends got this (Personal Joke)

Name of my good friends tattoo studio. It kind of just happened. (A lot of people hate my attitude towards tattooing on this forum :))

this is the 2nd tattoo i ever got, It mean’s love.

Got this piece of shit when i was 15 for the sake of getting a tattoo to look “cool” by a retired tattoo artist in he’s Garage.

What is there to say about this one? Because he is fucking awesome?

I have a thing for skulls and i came up with this and really liked it so i thought why not will look good on my “Random Theme’d” sleeve for my left arm.

I got these stars because i like star’s. You either love them or hate them.

I hope this has helped you ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh and welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ™‚

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

I don’t have as many interesting stories as my man Wardy, but…

I got my first (and only) tattoo on my birthday. I wanted to do something to recognize my kids, so I got a kanji symbol tattoo (see my profile for a pic). It has a few parts: the large symbol means “family bonds”, the three words running vertical are my three kids names translated into japanese, and the small red symbol means “protect”.

Since a tattoo is permanent, and I will always be their dad and they will always be my kids, it seemed like a good way to commemorate my family. In a way, I guess it was a way to also help me be a better father by always having a visable reminder of my kids on me, and how important they are (so important I inked myself up with them!).

I hope some of that helps. Good luck with the project!

feathertouch
Participant
@feathertouch

My tattoos I got because they seemed like a good idea at the time. Nothing to do with stories or periods in my life, more to do with aww that is cute.

My husbands tattoos are basicly there to mark parts of his life, like one heart design for every heart attack, Fuck off on his left arm for the cops who harass him daily, fuck you on his right arm for the cops partner who comes to the other side of the bike. club symbols for clubs things. ruins for his heritage ect. He also trains ppl to tattoo and donates his own skin to the newbie to work on once he feels it won’t be to big of a mess and those tattoos are just random crap he picks out to be applied.

Adler
Participant
@adler
feathertouch;96389 wrote:
… He also trains ppl to tattoo and donates his own skin to the newbie to work on once he feels it won’t be to big of a mess and those tattoos are just random crap he picks out to be applied.

I’m curious what you mean by he trains people to tattoo. Is he a professional tattoo artist at a shop with apprentices? Or is it like a “tattoo school” atmosphere where he’s training people to be at-home scratchers? Maybe none of my business, just curious.

downriver
Participant
@downriver

Wardy, I love your back piece dude… I always wanted to do a splattered ink or paint graffiti tattoo.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Happy to help you out my tatts are in my album and since I don’t want to bore ppl with my ink philosophy PM me and will supply whatever you need.

Take care
Matthew

Marty
Participant
@marty

My first tattoo was Be Careful on my wrist, nope not to remind me not to cut it as most people think

Last year my mum was diagnosed with cancer and every day when I left her she would say Be Careful, she finally became to ill to say it every day so I got it tattooed on my wrist so she didnt have to worry about not telling me.

She loved the idea im sure it kept her going that bit longer ๐Ÿ™‚

CandD
Participant
@candd

My first tattoo was of a triple goddess. It was to remind myself of the seasons in any person’s life. I also have a tribute piece for my brother on my arm. It’s just his name in alibata. It reminds me of him and makes me feel that he’s always with me.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

I got my first tattoo at age twenty. I started small, and even after years of lurking around tattoo parlors, wishing for the balls to engage with the artists and get something going, I still didn’t quite know how the process was supposed to work. I actually had this design drawn up by a different artist than the one who applied it–classic rookie mistake.

The smilie was, is, and always will be awesome, but the tribals are poorly designed.

Either way, I got it because it made me giggle, and it still does. Besides, seeing a man my size wearing a tattoo that reads “I Feel Pretty” always gives people a good laugh.

This is my second piece. I got it not long after my first, I disremember how long. Maybe two weeks, maybe a month, a month and a half outside. This was the first tattoo I had my artist, Troy Coe, at that time of Laughing Dragon, draw up for me.

There’s no real reason behind it, just like there’s no reason for me to sign everything, even legal documents, with Love. Peace. Metallica.

My third piece. I gave Troy more freedom on this one. I said I wanted a skull surrounded by tribals and blade tribals with a banner that read “Squeeze and suck the day, carpe diem baby”, a line from the Metallica song “Carpe diem baby”.

Though since it’s one of their least popular songs off the albums that actually happened (mention Load or St. Anger and I’ll stare blankly, then move on as if you didn’t speak), no one recognizes the line.

It was a couple years between my back piece and this one. Troy moved out of state for a year, and I got married and poor. Due to the deep, deep, deeeeeeeeep depression being married to my ex-wife had me in I resigned myself to being done with ink.

Then I randomly ran into Troy in the music section of a Meijer.

My ex-wife told me my eyes lit up and that I showed excitement and enthusiasm for something for the first time in months when I ran into him. I immediately started a conversation with him, and he invited me down to the shop he just bought, Lambadi City.

I eventually asked him to do me a small skull bracelet. Just a ring of skulls around my wrist, each one about the size of a quarter.

Yeah, he had other ideas. He knew damn well one I saw this massive skull gauntlet I’d be down for it.

This one is the only one I truly regret. It was also the first one that had a meaning. Me and my ex-wife both have these on our right forearms. It was supposed to be a zombie version of her and me kissing, with a line from our song underneath of it.

This tattoo extended my miserable Bataan Death March of a marriage for three years. It was a forcible reminder every single day I promised to take care of my useless lump of a wife. The fact that she never held up her end never occurred to me.

My favorite piece. The zombie squid. It’s a squid. It’s a zombie. It’s a god damned zombie squid.

250364_10150265468311998_610556997_9160292_6205117_n.jpg

I’m still working on this one. It’s on the opposite side of my arm from my zombie squid. It’s a cyborg squid done in a steam punk style. Troy went totally apeshit with this one.

This is my newest piece. I took a break from the squid to get this one done last Saturday. It’s of a loony toon character named Gossamer.

I lost someone I loved very deeply recently. She had Gossamer tattooed on her right thigh. Now so do I. I did it because I thought it would help express the fucked up bullshit going on in my head since she died. Didn’t work. Can’t look at it without tearing up.

Notice a theme in my tattoos? Most of them have no deeper meaning, no purpose. They’re a god damn zombie squid. A skull with Metallica lyrics.

That’s because art exists to be awesome. It’s only and sole purpose is to elicit an emotional response, to grab you by the fucking balls and scream “FEEL SOMETHING YOU CUNT!”. The more explanation a piece of art needs, the more of a failure it is.

Manet’s water lilies forces you to sit, to examine, to feel. The Stature of Liberty fills you with patriotism, the idea of what our country is supposed to be. Even Piss Christ makes you experience something.

They work because of the craft, the thought, the skill. These are what matters. Not some message or meaning. Once a piece of art is exhibited, it ceases to be the artist’s. Every viewer will bring their own life experience to the viewing, and it will inevitably color and inform what they walk away with. You can’t control that, and artists who try make their art less than what it is.

Tattoos are the most pure form of art. It’s art for art’s sake. It’s art that exists to be awesome. And virtually every time you stray from that, try to mold your ink into something with meaning, it almost inevitably ends up with you having a mediocre piece of ink you feel compelled to defend unto the death.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
Sherav;96409 wrote:
Hi

Happy to help you out my tatts are in my album and since I don’t want to bore ppl with my ink philosophy PM me and will supply whatever you need.

Take care
Matthew

Oh come on, I bored us. It’s your turn. Do it. DOOOOOOO EEEEEEET! I command you Lord Hull!

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

I’ve got a few tattoos. I have the bomb from ZeroCool’s computer background from Hackers, and Amanda in the bear trap for my loves for movies.

I have my Grandpa’s name, his birthday and death date going around a Cadillac symbol because he always said Cadillac’s were the best cars ever made and that if I ever wanted to take a girl out on a date, that I could borrow his Cadillac. He also taught me how to drive in one of his Cadillac’s. Needless to say, they mean a lot to me.

I then have the phrase Two Against The World on my inner bicep. It’s a phrase that I believe in, I believe that when you find your significant other, the one you are meant to be with, that you and that person can overcome anything, can fight through anything, and achieve anything. I feel that in life, that you are not complete until you have found that someone. I got this tattoo right after I had my heart crushed by my most recent ex, it was to remind me that one day I will find that someone who will love me and not let their friends, or their own mental issues / background ruin what we could have had.

And now I have a Pumpkin being held by a Sugarskull’d girl, it will have a haunted background and chest plate. It’s basically to show my love for scary things / haunted things. I really do love Halloween.

feathertouch
Participant
@feathertouch
Adler;96395 wrote:
I’m curious what you mean by he trains people to tattoo. Is he a professional tattoo artist at a shop with apprentices? Or is it like a “tattoo school” atmosphere where he’s training people to be at-home scratchers? Maybe none of my business, just curious.

Yes we own our own shop, no he doesn’t apprentice ppl no time for it, he helps them learn a few tricks after hours, guides them if you will. Like he says we are getting old someone has to take over when we all die., So they hang out drink coffee laugh cry and ask alot of questions to which most of his answers are hmm try it and see.

Sorry didn’t mean to hijack the thread, just a quick responce to a question.

Kisses
Megan

hijomojo
Participant
@hijomojo

Hey everyone,

Sorry it’s been so long since my OP,
I’d just like to say thanks to you guys for posting your pics and other tattoo info, it all really helped for my work. Also, I found some of your works and explanations really interesting and I reckon they gave my work that extra bit of depth.

Once again, cheers guys ๐Ÿ˜€

metalmancpa
Participant
@metalmancpa

My only tattoo thus far is a striking eagle on my upper arm.

I always wanted a tattoo, I love eagles (have a huge collection of them – not live ones ๐Ÿ™‚ ), and it only made sense to have my 1st tattoo be an eagle. Actually walked into a shop 20 years ago to get one done – it didn’t work out that day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.