goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

My tattoo is on the mend well with only a bit of dryness in which I am able to apply lotion now. I normally heal quick and am on top of aftercare. The red ink scabbed more heavily than the rest with general peeling as normal being the case. It is kind of more raised and bubbly at the moment. I don’t believe it is too much of an issue and will settle as it has only been 9 days since the colour was added.
What is it with red ink that you hear alot of stories about?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I have a good bit of red ink on me and personally i don’t see the difference in red and any other ink’s. I’ve heard though that color’d Ink’s heal differently to black.

Not sure if it’s true but that’s what i heard. (Can’t remember where)

Adler
Participant
@adler

I don’t have an answer as to why but with me the reds in my tattoos have always been slower to heal and seem to scab more than other areas.

-David-
Participant
@david-2

some people are allergic to red pigments. If you are, you’d experience occasional swelling and itching in the area that is tattooed red. Kind of like tattoo shaped hives.

There’s no reason for red to scab more than other colors, though. That is usually due to the application by the tattooist. He may have just slightly overworked it while trying to make sure he has good coverage. Some red ink’s difficult to differentiate from blood rising to the surface so the tattooist has to rely on technique rather than what he can see in the skin. Same goes for yellows. When tattooing yellow the pigment absolutely disappears into the skin and during the process all that can be seen are the puncture marks. If the tattooist keeps working at it until he sees the color he wants, he’s definitely going to overwork the area

bluey
Participant
@bluey

@Adler 96080 wrote:

I don’t have an answer as to why but with me the reds in my tattoos have always been slower to heal and seem to scab more than other areas.[/QUOTE
I noticed with the lighter colours that my tattooist tended to be much heavier and hence scabbed a bit more, but they came out really well.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun
Adler;96080 wrote:
I don’t have an answer as to why but with me the reds in my tattoos have always been slower to heal and seem to scab more than other areas.

I got one small character in red on mine, and it did heal a bit differently than the other black inked areas. It wasn’t really a scab, per se, but more like the ink bubbled up and dried. It was crunchy, not crusty like a scab. I left it alone the first time I washed it, then on the second go around I paid a little more attention to it and it disolved for the most part.

But the red was different. Looks fine now (9 days later).

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

I am now day 10 days in the tattoo has healed bar the red areas which are a bit raised and look a tad bubbly as been suggested before.
It may be overworking as I would have though it must be difficult to put red in to the skin for obvious reasons. My yellow is fine one of the colours that settled 1st!
If it hasn’t settled in the next week I will have a word with the artist as I have an appointment on the 14th and don’t want to waste my time or his if there is an issue.
I have general dryness if not moisturized a few times a day which is normal. I will keep an eye on it:cool:
Tattoo looks great so far other than this. You cant really tell from standing a couple of feet away but when you really look at it you can tell its not settled yet.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

I have plenty of red ink on me and never had a problem..yet orange ink fades from my body really fast

Like some one said above – I guess your body has different reactions to diff pigments

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Settled alot over the last two days not concerned any more just scabbed heavier than I was used to.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

good to hear

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Next session on Wednesday not sure to use red again on the second flower on my inner arm.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

You said it has healed fine now right?

Maybe mention to your artist that it took a lot longer to heal – most artists have a few different bands of red ink perhaps he can try another band on you?

Adler
Participant
@adler

I wouldn’t not use red just because there were previous issues if the piece called for it.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes
Aussie_Al;96550 wrote:
You said it has healed fine now right?

Maybe mention to your artist that it took a lot longer to heal – most artists have a few different bands of red ink perhaps he can try another band on you?

I popped in to see the artist just to get an educated opinion on the healing after 12-13 days I think it was. The original colour won’t be touched as it is bright and well done. The flower on the inside of the arm probably will need red for the piece may not look right otherwise but the sake of an extra week to a fortnight to heal isn’t the end of the world.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.