thejohnphenomenon
Participant
@thejohnphenomenon

I’ve always wanted to get a tattoo for years now, but there’s one reason why I haven’t yet. My problem is that I can’t make up my mind. The idea that it will be there forever and that I won’t be able to change it or erase it (without painful expensive laser treatment) stresses the hell out of me when I’m trying to choose what to get. I have literally dozens of ideas of tattoos I want to get, but the thing is that I’m not 100% sure about any of them. Even if I am sure about a tattoo, if I think about it later on, my mind is completely changed about it. I don’t want to look down at a tattoo I got three years ago and say “What was I thinking?” Or “I should have gotten the blah blah instead of the blah blah.” As you can tell, I’m an extremely indecisive person, I always have trouble making decisions even ones as small as choosing what to eat for dinner. I’m stressed out of my mind trying to decide what to get, where to get it, how big it should be, etc etc. I just can’t decide! Can someone give me some advice? I really want to get a tattoo, they’re so beautiful and I really respect tattooists as artists and tattooing as an art form.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I shall give you the best advice I can:

If you are not 100% sure, don’t get it 🙂
If you are relatively sure about something, pin it to your fridge or somewhere that you will see it every single day, and leave it there for a few months.
If you still love it after that time, bring that idea in here and ask for honest feedback, and we will rip it to shreds.
If you still love it after we rip it to shreds, it’s gold 🙂

bboarder06
Participant
@bboarder06
ArniVidar;84261 wrote:
I shall give you the best advice I can:

If you are not 100% sure, don’t get it 🙂
If you are relatively sure about something, pin it to your fridge or somewhere that you will see it every single day, and leave it there for a few months.
If you still love it after that time, bring that idea in here and ask for honest feedback, and we will rip it to shreds.
If you still love it after we rip it to shreds, it’s gold 🙂

Perfect advice. Don’t get one if you have even the slightest bit of doubt.
And if you do get one, learn to love any imperfection it may have.

clay1680
@

If your thinking about it this much go for it. you live once and if you want it you gotta start somewhere. if you hate it, fuck it, shit happens maybe you can cover it but i say do it.

downriver
Participant
@downriver

Just choose a design and get it, lifes too short.

thejohnphenomenon
Participant
@thejohnphenomenon

Thanks everybody for the great advice. Another question: Do covering tattoos up with another one pose any possible issues? Like, is it harmful to the skin or does it not come out as good or something like that? What if you do it multiple times on the same area?

albert1500
Participant
@albert1500
thejohnphenomenon;84260 wrote:
I’ve always wanted to get a tattoo for years now, but there’s one reason why I haven’t yet. My problem is that I can’t make up my mind. The idea that it will be there forever and that I won’t be able to change it or erase it (without painful expensive laser treatment) stresses the hell out of me when I’m trying to choose what to get. I have literally dozens of ideas of tattoos I want to get, but the thing is that I’m not 100% sure about any of them. Even if I am sure about a tattoo, if I think about it later on, my mind is completely changed about it. I don’t want to look down at a tattoo I got three years ago and say “What was I thinking?” Or “I should have gotten the blah blah instead of the blah blah.” As you can tell, I’m an extremely indecisive person, I always have trouble making decisions even ones as small as choosing what to eat for dinner. I’m stressed out of my mind trying to decide what to get, where to get it, how big it should be, etc etc. I just can’t decide! Can someone give me some advice? I really want to get a tattoo, they’re so beautiful and I really respect tattooists as artists and tattooing as an art form.

I know the feeling. But i just went for it. i’m like you i’ve had and have several ideas. i’ll never regret any tattoo i get, i’m a grown man and know what i’m getting myself into.

all the tattoos i have are my ideas and some have the tattoo artists spin on it.

i for one never thought i would EVER get a whole sleeve (still havent) but i have my next appointment on 4/28 to start the bottom half.

if you have a bunch of ideas start putting stuff together and make it flow into a half sleeve or more, thats what i’m doing.

clay1680
@

the only thing with a cover up is that it has to be darker than the first to work and if your original piece is small it shouldn’t be too hard to cover. for a large piece you would need an amazing artist whose done plenty cover-ups or deal with it. theres no problems unless the first tattoo is raised from getting shitty work done then you might still be able to notice it and be slightly visible.

Tribalwarrior
Participant
@tribalwarrior

Tattoos are something that a lot of people think about doing. They say they’ll do it “one day.” Well, what if “one day” doesn’t come. I think it is the same with an adventure things like skydiving, bungee jumping,etc. Many people will always say, “I’ll do it one day.” Of course, many don’t. The same applies with tattoos. You can think about it forever and talk yourself out of it very easily. The question is: will you regret it when your life is near an end? As a previous poster said, we only live once, so why the hell not. Just make sure that you get a design that you think is cool(and hopefully has some semblance of meaning). Don’t get something like a heart with your BF or GF’s name on it. Get something that you feel represents a part of you, whether that is your personality,r physical nature, spirituality, etc.

I didn’t get my first tattoo until I was 29 years old. I’m 40 now, but still in love with tattoos. I’m getting another one in less than 3 weeks. At my age, I don’t have to worry about things like regretting a tattoo because I know what I want, don’t really care what other people think and know that my life is a lot shorter now than when I was 20, so I don’t really have to worry like some of you guys. It is actually pretty liberating and so nice to not really give a fuck about anything anymore. Freedom.

seven8nein
Participant
@seven8nein

when you decide on what you want, make sure you get exactly that! pay top buck for a good job or from somebody you trust or know to be a good artist! don’t do work in progresses cos they all look naff!..when your sure of what you want, go for it!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.