TattooLove2011
Participant
@tattoolove2011

Now I understand in the last 40 years tattoos on arms have been pretty much socially acceptable, but is they still stigma with hands, neck and face tattoos?

I’m not on about side of the hand which you hardly see I’m talking the whole back of it and knuckles tattooed, and not on about back of the neck I mean the side and front and well face/head anywhere is it still negative?

I know it depends where you go socially but in general?

Is getting hand tattoos really that much of a big decision?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

As with all things it depends on geographic location (some areas are more accepting than others), type of work/career you want and various other issues of peer acceptance and pressures.

Overall though yes getting your hands tattooed is a big decision – many people still find this to be a taboo and still continue to associate hand tattoos with criminal behaviour or displays of gang allegiances.

I perosnally think it is an irrational prejudice but that does not stop ppl from having them and it can close a lot of employment doors in certain careers.

You will also get a lot ppl openly staring and making judgement about them.

People will always have difficulty in things that are different to themselves or outside of their experience.

Take care
Matthew

FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

Hey,

Seeing how I have had my hands and knuckles done now for all of 2011. I have got nothing but compliments and nice things said. I have received no people looking at me awkwardly as far as I have observed.
But yea I guess it depends on where you come from, I live in Hamilton Ontario, Canada and I notice a lot of Jobs in Burlington and so forth are very accepting and I’m talking good paying jobs with benefits, desk jobs.

Cheers,
Marcus

TattooLove2011
Participant
@tattoolove2011
FEARoftheDARK;84025 wrote:
Hey,

Seeing how I have had my hands and knuckles done now for all of 2011. I have got nothing but compliments and nice things said. I have received no people looking at me awkwardly as far as I have observed.
But yea I guess it depends on where you come from, I live in Hamilton Ontario, Canada and I notice a lot of Jobs in Burlington and so forth are very accepting and I’m talking good paying jobs with benefits, desk jobs.

Cheers,
Marcus

What are your tattoos of though? I’m guessing you live in a place where tattoos are very common? I think America is different to Britain.

FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

My hand tattoos you can see in my album, and I live in Canada.

Cheers,
Marcus

iMark
Participant
@imark

I’d say that the harder a tattoo is to cover, the more socially unacceptable it is.

But as has been already mentioned, there’s going to be a large variance depending on geographical and social factors.

I’m a juggler in my spare time, and a great many of my friends wouldn’t give a second thought to any tattoos or piercings they encounter, whereas people I know via work think very differently.

TattooLove2011
Participant
@tattoolove2011

Will there always be a social stigma to some degree? I know in the past few decades more shops opening and stuff it’s not as taboo as it was but like anything still people will judge you different if you have them in visible areas? Initials on the back of necks and cheryl cole wannabe-tattoos on side of the hand are hidden yet in visible places which doesn’t really matter but stuff on the back of your hands, knuckles is they still stigma attached to it?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi Fear

I have found from my own studies that tattooing is much more sociably acceptable in the USA and Canada than in the UK. I think a lot of it is we have a ‘small island’ attitude to a lot of things and it takes a long time to shift it.

Many UK still think in terms of tattooing being for the 1. Working Classes 2. Rock Stars/Footballers/People with too much money to have worries about it.

I am not saying I agree with this but that is generally how a lot of employers still think. It is relaxing but still very much taboo for many.

@TL The other key issue is what you have done on your hands.

If it is an artistic piece over love/hate ppl may see it as less threatening.

Take Care
Matthew

iMark
Participant
@imark
Sherav;84044 wrote:
I have found from my own studies that tattooing is much more sociably acceptable in the USA and Canada than in the UK. I think a lot of it is we have a ‘small island’ attitude to a lot of things and it takes a long time to shift it.

In my experience the UK is a peculiar melting pot. Acceptance is very much dependant on your location within the country.

Within the major urban/suburban centres few people will bat an eyelid regarding tattoos. Outside of that however, acceptance varies greatly.

TattooLove2011
Participant
@tattoolove2011
Sherav;84044 wrote:
Hi Fear

Many UK still think in terms of tattooing being for the 1. Working Classes 2. Rock Stars/Footballers/People with too much money to have worries about it.

I am not saying I agree with this but that is generally how a lot of employers still think. It is relaxing but still very much taboo for many.

@TL The other key issue is what you have done on your hands.

If it is an artistic piece over love/hate ppl may see it as less threatening.

Take Care
Matthew

Yes agree about USA and Canada opposed to UK besides a facial tattoo or all your neck done which I guess will always be taboo forever more than likely not a little star but you know proper facial ones.

Erm, will having most of your arms still be a problem for jobs?

Also on the hands, I’ve seen some fancy ‘LOVE’ like the O being a love heart but not HATE, I see the LOVE/HATE quite alot on guys of all ages, seen some lad about 20 with it but it didn’t look like smart looking if you know what I mean, is this like a thug tattoo that people will judge you on or what? What will most people think socially will this tattoo?

I’m wanting my arms and chest done will that cause me any problems?

Yeah celebs have tattoos but I know it’s risen in the last 50 years tattoos but visible ones still hold taboo I’m guessing?

FEARoftheDARK
Participant
@fearofthedark

To be quite honest it seems like you are looking for some kind of approval here with all these questions. I’m not trying to be mean, but if you want to get a tattoo go and get it. If you think or know it’s going to cause problems that you don’t want then simply don’t get it. there are always going to be people that hate them and people that love them. Yes, they are becoming more acceptable but they will always be unaccepted by certain people.

The only way for you to find out is to go and get a tattoo

Cheers,
Marcus

TattooLove2011
Participant
@tattoolove2011
FEARoftheDARK;84087 wrote:
To be quite honest it seems like you are looking for some kind of approval here with all these questions. I’m not trying to be mean, but if you want to get a tattoo go and get it. If you think or know it’s going to cause problems that you don’t want then simply don’t get it. there are always going to be people that hate them and people that love them. Yes, they are becoming more acceptable but they will always be unaccepted by certain people.

The only way for you to find out is to go and get a tattoo

Cheers,
Marcus

Okay thanks.

shawn lichtfuss
Participant
@shawn-lichtfuss

Anywhere on the hands, head, face, neck is going to get you alot of attention when out in public, but lately for me it’s not much of a problem. It seems it’s becoming a bit more normal to see these done. Though, I feel a stigma will always be attached to it.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

it all depends on context………

Tribalwarrior
Participant
@tribalwarrior

The neck. That is a big no-no, unless you’re wealthy or in prison. If I hit the lottery tomorrow, one of the first things I would do would be get a neck tattoo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.