Leah_BD
Participant
@leah_bd

I had a tattoo yesterday at midday which took 3 1/2 hours. Im really pleased with how it looks but something is up!

I know its going to be sore and red and swollen as its has some intensive work on it, but the hole of the top of my arm has swollen and bruised and the tattoo itself keeps going blotchy with bits of ink which scab. I woke up late last night and it was covered in wet inky blotches so I cleaned it and it seemed fine, though this morning it was quite dry n cracked when I woke up.

The thing that worrys me the most is how it smells!

The first time I smelt this smell was when I was having it done, only mildly for a minute or two. My tattooist had a dreadful bed side manner so didnt say what it was. I soon forgot it as I was in incredible pain, but now when I put water on it to clean it it gives off that same smell. It isnt like an over powering smell, and you can only smell it when you go up close to it.

The tattoo itself is fine though, no puss etc! Or could these leeking ink ‘lump’s be puss?

I called the studio I went to but they said to wrap it in cling for 4 days changing it 4 times rubbing bep on it, but surely that cant be right? It would never heal! I cant even go back there cos its in London and I live in Essex.

Im clueless what to do! Ive been online n it either leads to ‘mass infection; get to your doctor now!’ or ‘its fine’. Im not convinced by either really.

I have attached some picture of what it looks like after I have put bep on it, put cling film on and then taken it off. Please help, im so stressed no because of the worry.

Also note the swelling, redness and bruising in my armpit.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/Zapness/157-1.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/Zapness/154.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/Zapness/160.jpg

Also the red outline isnt shading, its a bruise!

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’m not a professional but I’ll comment anway. First, there are many methods to healing a tattoo but personally I’m not a fan of the continuous wrapping with cling wrap. Your tattoo actually looks well done, the bruising may just be because it’s a sensitive area and so new. Some ooozing is normal. If you apply any ointment only do so lightly after washing and air drying completely or let it dry heal a little. You can also apply an ice pack if you want to help reduce the swelling but don’t let the tattoo get saturated with moisture.

Leah_BD
Participant
@leah_bd

Thankyou! What do you think the smell could be?

Adler
Participant
@adler

I don’t know about the smell, might just be the ink or something the artist used for sterilization or cleaning. Some ointments like A&D have odors, also. If an artist reads this they might know more. Wash with a mild soap so it doesn’t get too dried out and keep an eye on it, you should be fine. If you’re using bepanthen (whatever it is) I’ve read mixed results on that stuff. Try aquaphor or just a non-scented lotion.

Bixler
Participant
@bixler

I’m also no artist, but shall comment away. First off, nice tattoo, you should be stoked. Everyone heals differently and as adler stated, everyone has their own way to heal tattoos. I personally dry heal all my tattoos, and it seems to come out a lot better. Certain sensitive areas such as inner bicep and nipples etc., can bruise. That is totally normal immediately or soon after a new tattoo is applied. I got work done yesterday on my chest and the area right around my nipples was swolen, but is gone today.

I don’t know about the smell though, again to quote adler it might be A&D. A lot of artists apply that before they wrap you up. And if you’ve never had a tattoo or a child, you would have never smelled A&D before. Wait a couple more days and don’t cake your new piece with a shitload of creams or anything.

albert1500
Participant
@albert1500

check out mine a few hours after and then healed…

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

Jacs_024
Participant
@jacs_024

is the smell you are talkin about the smell that is in every tattoo shop like kind of strong/noticeable but not unpleasant? because every time i get a tattoo that area seems to stink of “tattoo shop”, sometimes even after i shower. if it isnt an unpleasant smell or its not overly strong then i wouldnt worry about it – it doesnt look infected and it doesnt sound infected.

i have 4 tattoos, and after my first 3 they healing process was pretty smooth and they healed really fast. the 4th one was a lot bigger (took about 6 hours altogether) and i was quite worried about it healing too. it went sort of gooey (which i think might be what you think is “puss”) and when i tried to put bepanthen on it it wouldnt smooth over it unless i cleaned it first. i would wake up in the morning and have the goo all over my bed it was horrible. but after day 3 or 4 it just scabbed over as normal and was fine from there. just the first few days that were a bit weird. now that its healed it looks great and im very happy with it so although i didnt have happy healing im happy with it in the end. if it continues though and doesnt scab over and you are not happy with it, since you cant get to THAT specific tattoo shop, pop into a local (or a couple of) tattoo shops just in your area. most of them have the same advice if a little varied at times.

on a side note i wouldnt cover it coz it wont be able to breath and “dry in” to the scab process. i covered mines once because my clothes stuck to it at one point and i took it pretty much straight off. not a good plan.

anyway sorry it was a bit long and hope i helped! good luck!

Leah_BD
Participant
@leah_bd

Thanks for getting back to me guys.

Well today I woke up (with a v achey arm as im sleeping so the tattoo doesnt touch anything) and it seems okay. Slight scabbing which can only be a good thing!

The smell does smell abit off, and im concerned about something my dads said. hes suffers from cysts below the skin and im concerned that, when I had mine done the sudden bad odor was a cyst being hit in my arm :S I have no way of knowing tbh….

Its still VERY painful today, red and swollen and as Ive had to go to work im having to wear long loose sleeves, everytime my sleeve touches it it stings like hell. It feels irritated but when I look at it seems okay. The outside mof the tattoo is still rather red.

Im going to go to a local studio and see what they have to say.

reading stuff on google doesnt help at all

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

The smell could be the plasma leaking out. As for the soreness. My guess is that is normal You just put your skin through some major trauma and it’s going to be sore. Keep it clean wash it a few times a day (wash until it doesn’t feel slimy). As for the bruise well I have had a few that have bruised it happens.
Remember tattoos hurt.
It is a beautiful tattoo be proud of it. Welcome to the club of freaks.

Leah_BD
Participant
@leah_bd

It does seem to only smell after I put the bepanthen on and when I put water on it, maybe its plasma! I got the guys who i work with to smell it through my shirt (haha ew) and they say they cant smell anything.

After putting bep on half an hour ago alot of stuff has come to the surface and some is on the shirt sleeve, red n slightly off white marks hmm

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes
Leah_BD;81490 wrote:
Thankyou! What do you think the smell could be?

your armpit?

The tattoo is looking good the artist may have been a bit heavy handed to be bruised but just keep it clean 3-4 times a day and don’t worry.

Leah_BD
Participant
@leah_bd
goldengraemes;81542 wrote:
your armpit?

The tattoo is looking good the artist may have been a bit heavy handed to be bruised but just keep it clean 3-4 times a day and don’t worry.

I’ve always smelt fresh as a daisy….Id be concerned if anyones armpits smelt like off flesh…

I’m heading to my local studio now, but I wouldn’t be shocked if they turn me away as they didn’t do it themselves. Unhelpful!

bighairedmike
Participant
@bighairedmike

I agree with most of the people on here, keep washing it, air drying/pat drying it, and then put some lotion on it. It should come out fine, it’s a beautiful tattoo.

However, if you are really worried about it, go and see your doctor. What harm can it do? And also, don’t read google for stuff like this. You’re best talking to artists and GP’s, not “anon” from the internet. =)

Leah_BD
Participant
@leah_bd

I went to my local tattoo studio and the owner took a good look and said its fine, have swapped using bep with tattoo goo, which I have used previously on small tattoos on my foot and neck, its so much better! Bep is so heavy and sticky!

Its still sore and swollen, and the red marks on the outside have gone yellowy/bruised which is a good sign! Have been holding an ice pack on the swelling. its lovely and scabby hehe x

Adler
Participant
@adler
Leah_BD;81587 wrote:
I went to my local tattoo studio and the owner took a good look and said its fine, have swapped using bep with tattoo goo, which I have used previously on small tattoos on my foot and neck, its so much better! Bep is so heavy and sticky!

Its still sore and swollen, and the red marks on the outside have gone yellowy/bruised which is a good sign! Have been holding an ice pack on the swelling. its lovely and scabby hehe x

Again, all personal preference but I HATE Tattoo Goo and I had an artist tell me not to use it, said it clogged pores. But if it works for you then ok. You should be about ready to switch to a lotion anyway. Glad to hear things are getting better, you really do have a nice tattoo there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.