Adler
Participant
@adler

Below are pictures of my existing eagle tattoo on my outer arm and the available space on my inner arm. I’ve been thinking of adding an owl head to the inner arm area but I’m just not sure how much I like that placement and how it would look. I’ve also included a pic of someone else’s owl on their inner arm to give an idea how it might look although the image would be a little different. Just looking for thoughts and opinions on the inner arm placement and if an owl head might look out of place there or if another design or location would fit better. Thanks much.

My arm:
scan00071-1-1.jpg
eagle4.jpg

Someone else’s tattoo:
lalony-1.jpg

I’d get something more like this (not sure color or b/g yet):
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af222/inkedn07/realistic-owl-tattoo-m-1.jpg
http://i1010.photobucket.com/albums/af222/inkedn07/Great_Horned_Owl_Montana-1.jpg

suzridesahog
Participant
@suzridesahog

I love in inner arm tats. They look so cool kinda peeking out when your arm is down and pop when the arm is stretched out.
I would put the owl straight up and down (when your arm is by your side).

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

i kinda like the placement in the pic because you can get more detail in the owl head. if you do it north/south you would have to scale down the image a little bit. btw, nice eagle. who did it?

stubarber
Participant
@stubarber
yodaddynukka;79809 wrote:
i kinda like the placement in the pic because you can get more detail in the owl head. if you do it north/south you would have to scale down the image a little bit.

Not only that, but in it’s current postion, it’ll be staring back at anyone who happens to be looking at your outstretched arm – generally the position your arm will be in for the tattoo to be visible.

Are you going for the eventual bird sleeve or half-sleeve, and if so – how would you tie them together?

Adler
Participant
@adler
stubarber;79810 wrote:
Not only that, but in it’s current postion, it’ll be staring back at anyone who happens to be looking at your outstretched arm – generally the position your arm will be in for the tattoo to be visible.

Are you going for the eventual bird sleeve or half-sleeve, and if so – how would you tie them together?

Thanks for the replies. If I do get it there that’s probably how I’d position it and to maximize the detail like yodaddynukka mentioned. And I really never planned on turning it into a half-sleeve so that’s also why I want to make sure having the two individual pieces would still work because I don’t know how I’d tie it together. I also didn’t think I’d add to the arm after the eagle but I just really like birds of prey so who knows. Oleg Turyansky expressed interest in doing the owl so I’d give him freedom but I just haven’t been sure of the placement and color or not. So you guys don’t think even if it was left at two seperate pieces it wouldn’t look out of place and still work?

And @ yodaddynukka, the eagle was done at Hartford County Tattoo in CT by a local artist named Angel.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka
Adler;79812 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. If I do get it there that’s probably how I’d position it and to maximize the detail like yodaddynukka mentioned. And I really never planned on turning it into a half-sleeve so that’s also why I want to make sure having the two individual pieces would still work because I don’t know how I’d tie it together. I also didn’t think I’d add to the arm after the eagle but I just really like birds of prey so who knows. Oleg Turyansky expressed interest in doing the owl so I’d give him freedom but I just haven’t been sure of the placement and color or not. So you guys don’t think even if it was left at two seperate pieces it wouldn’t look out of place and still work?

And @ yodaddynukka, the eagle was done at Hartford County Tattoo in CT by a local artist named Angel.

i think it would be ok if you take it to the right artist. the eagle is done really well so as long as the owl is done well (which im sure it would be with oleg) then it should be fine. i am in the same situation as you are since i have the bio gear half sleeve on my arm along with a nio warrior on my forearm, and also planning to get a samurai mask on my outer forearm i am a little worried about the styles not meshing. but im pretty sure it will work ok…

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

they are not even visible at one tiime………so it won’t matter, unless you are showing them off…..

that being said, i think that you’d be able to tie them together with some background if you sleeve it…

i REALLY like that owl……..

Adler
Participant
@adler

I have complete faith in the artist, that’s for sure. Like I said, I was just having a hard time at first picturing the owl on the inner arm but if I’m reading the comments correctly, you guys think it would look fine there. I think it’s the different directions of the tattoos I was considering, with the eagle north and south and the owl more east and west, almost perpendicular to each other, but I guess it doesn’t matter. And maybe even have the artist add something to the top of the bicep if he thinks he should to connect the two tattoos a little. So noone thinks the owl would look out of place there, right?

Tajen
Participant
@tajen

I think it would look just fine there.:)

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

did you ask your artist what would look best? my opinion east/west is the way to go.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

realistic-owl-tattoo-m-1.jpg

I love that owl.

I think north south would be better because it will flow better into the eagle if they are orientated in the same direction. But what the fuck do I know I have a Popeye tattoo.

Adler
Participant
@adler
yodaddynukka;79841 wrote:
did you ask your artist what would look best? my opinion east/west is the way to go.

Actually, no, we didn’t talk about the direction. I originally wanted to do it on my calf but he didn’t like that due to the roundish shape of the owl head and vertical shape of the leg (which makes sense), so he suggested inside of arm but didn’t specify direction. I guess I just assumed east/west since it is just the head and it would be looking out when my arm is outstrectched like stubarber mentioned. Otherwise it would be sideways but I understand buttwheat’s point, too. I haven’t persued it much because I was still trying to figure out if I wanted there in the first place. I’m going to email him again though.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

try to get it done at paradise as i will most likely be there!!!

Adler
Participant
@adler
yodaddynukka;79849 wrote:
try to get it done at paradise as i will most likely be there!!!

My girlfriend and I were just talking about that and even if I get the tattoo at the shop before Paradise, we’ll still likely drive up to the convention for a day just to walk around. She wants to go, too, and would rather not walk around by herself while I’m being tattooed all day. Staying all weekend at the convention might be a little costly so I might try to get the tattoo the weekend before at the shop and then go to the convention for a day just to hang around. I just emailed Oleg again so we’ll see what happens and I’ll definitely let you know. Will you go for the entire weekend? Johan Finne?

Adler
Participant
@adler

Oleg actually already emailed back saying he was thinking going vertical with the owl but it would be up to me, so I’ll have to figure that out. He also said he’d be able to tie the two pieces together with some background but didn’t get too specific.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.