Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

…lining or shading?

Before I got my first, many people had told me how painful shading was, and that it was going to get to me a lot. I went for my first, and the linng was irritating me, so I was quite nervous for the start of the shading. The shading began, and barely bothered me at all. I know the endorphins had kicked in by then as well, but overall, I find shading almost pleasant for the first couple hours. It bothers me much less than the lining, which seems to me is backwards from what many others had told me.

So, now I’m curious – which do you find less pleasant?

board_riider
Participant
@board_riider

Lining! By freaking far! Haha…I got the whole outline to my half sleeve done in one sitting, and besides the shading underneath my arm for 4 hours, the outline was the worst! See I hear from most people they much prefer shading over outlining…Hmmm. Weird.

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

It’s quite possible that I have strange friends and coworkers….

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

shading for sure on bigger pieces but on smaller, one sitting, pieces both are no problem. Unless rids and that is just a whole nother story, hahahaha

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

I hate lining on big pieces. Especially the one I’m working on now, because I can’t see shit. It’s kinda like a surprise eachtime he filles up on ink, I never know where it’s gonna hurt next!! And you get that “first” pain all the time.
Shading however, I like. Because after a while the area just gets a bit numb, and I don’t feel too much.

Shading/colouring with a 17′ needle however.. for six hours… That, hurts.

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

I find lining to be more annoying.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

My guy uses a rotary for shading. I think that contributes to me liking it more. When I heard the ZZZZZZZZZZZ of the liner and then I feel it literally digging through my skin, the layers parting as the needle rips down the flesh of my arm I cringe. I like shading a lot more. I can almost fall asleep on the shading…. almost.

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

Lining is definitely worse.

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

I totally disagree. I’d take a day of line work over a day of shading every time. The one time I almost passed out from pain (I say pain…it was more a weird discomfort that turned my stomach) was during shading. *shudder* hellish.

Saying that, I much prefer being inked on boney areas than fleshy ones which seems to be rare. Maybe I’m just odd :s

ithompson
Participant
@ithompson

I would also take line work over shading, just bothers me more when the shading starts. But that could just be do to that I’ve settled down and all the adrenaline is gone, who knows.

shaneslawns
@

Ill take shading any day. Line work is rough, but like you said your used to it by the time shade work starts..Now when they stay in one spot coloring in…..awww

mt666tm
Participant
@mt666tm

I hate shading… I can sit all day for lining.

joeybuckets
Participant
@joeybuckets

shading definately, windbars are painful and annoying….

Adler
Participant
@adler

This is obviously one of those questions where depending on who you ask you’ll get a different answer. For me, I think the rubbing back and forth motion makes the shading less pleasant. It feels like the skin is being chewed up.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Quite interesting as I expected no one to say shading was worse. Having the lining done was like getting skin torn up and the line was fine. My artist laughed when we got to the shading as I had perked up alot more and become chatty in comparison to the line work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.