goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Hi All,
I have noticed quite a few of you submit progress shots of your tattoos which got me thinking how long does the average person sit for any why?
As an impulsive person when I commit to something I go for it and I am pretty much all or nothing.
As for tattooing I am new to the game and only have one half sleeve taking 8.5 hours in two sittings. 1st sitting outline and front of sleeve and second sitting outline finished on inner arm and shading.

What are your reasons for not getting your tattoo finished in one day?
Time?
Pain?
Money?
Or all of the above?
Any other reason?

I am planning on another half sleeve, a portrait, and a custom piece for when I have my first child. I would imagine the half sleeve again with be 2 or 3 sittings as I think it will take longer than the Koi but the rest would all be one sittings for 4 hours or less.

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

well, i usually sit for 3-4 hours at a time. the reasons being many actually.

1st, theres the money issue… i dont know about everyone else, but i cant afford more than 4 hours at a time worth of work usually ha.

2nd, yes there is the pain issue. ive personally discovered it starts to get bad around the 3 hour mark. for me at least, thats how it goes.

however, there is also another reason, more for healing and a good looking tattoo: you dont want your skin over-worked. its bad for you, and its bad for your tattoo. your tattoo simply will not turn out as well if you sit 8-10 hours in one sitting as opposed to breaking it down to 3 or 4 sittings. many artists wont do more than a certain amount of work on a person per sitting, for that very reason.

so, from my experience so far, the most both myself and my artists will handle in one sitting is between 3 and 4 hours

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

I’v done everything from 1hour sittings, upto 9hours.

On my backpiece, I do about 4 hours each time. Due to money(my current artist is pretty expencive – but worth it) mainly. And, my piece is of such a sort that it’s better to finish one part each time, in stead of having some parts just half-way done 🙂

As mentioned, I did nine hours once. That was on my sleeve. I mainly did sittings for 6hours or more on it. The artist behind it lives pretty far away from me, about twelve hours of travel. So I wanted to do as much as possible each time.
And my sleeve has turned out fine, even though I did nine hours. Hasn’t been a problem at all 🙂

But, it really depends. Once I could only do about an hour, because I startet bleeding a LOT, after just 15 minutes. I normally don’t start bleeding at all until 4-5 hours in, and never too much at all.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

at conventions i sit for an avg of 7-8hrs, 9 being the longest sitting. if im at a shop, about 5hrs

Aahzz
Participant
@aahzz

Well, I only have the 2 pieces so far, both of which took about 4 hours. I have to say, after 3.5 hours is when it starts to really get to me, so I think my max would be maybe 4.5, but really 4 is good.

board_riider
Participant
@board_riider

For my half sleeve, I always sat for the 6 hours each time pretty much, cause my artist gives deals if you’re booked for the whole day, so it was much cheaper to do it that way. Plus, I always wanted to go in and get as much done as possible each time. The pain was pretty much the same the whole way through, one time tho after about 2 hours I didn’t care much for it anymore, but I sat for another 2.5 hours, just cause we finished it all up, so yeah…that’s my reasonings.

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

It depends on the tattoo and location for me these days. I for sure can not sit as well as I used to maybe because most my pieces these days are larger tattoos so require multiple sittings. By the way like the topic, thanks for posting.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes
board_riider;77521 wrote:
For my half sleeve, I always sat for the 6 hours each time pretty much, cause my artist gives deals if you’re booked for the whole day, so it was much cheaper to do it that way. Plus, I always wanted to go in and get as much done as possible each time. The pain was pretty much the same the whole way through, one time tho after about 2 hours I didn’t care much for it anymore, but I sat for another 2.5 hours, just cause we finished it all up, so yeah…that’s my reasonings.

I think when going for a big piece its good to try and get a fair bit done. I don’t know if I could have the line work done and wait for the shading for like a month or so.
I appreciate though a half sleeve isn’t going to be done in one sitting.
Do most artists in this case complete all the line work then make a start on shading and just see how far they get before the session is up?

I find the line work pretty bad at times not so bad I would stop or anything but more than 3 hours of line work isn’t much fun.

It was funny before my 1st big sitting, I read on here get plenty of sleep and be hydrated, take a fizz drink in to maintain sugar levels and I breezed through it. Whether that was from being well prepared and excited or just because it isn’t that bad.

My artist said I sit really well so I was made up with it being my 1st big session.

Rose from Golden Dragon in Chester is nice and makes you feel relaxed and at home. Chat about conventions and stuff.

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

The longest ive sat is 5 hours. Ive sat as short as one hour, and then everything in between. Average is about 3-4 hours. I usually limit myself to that because i find i become very uncomfortable at the 3 hour mark, not just from pain, but from places on my body going numb and getting sore, and also sitting still for hours on end isnt too fun either.

For my chest lately, its been really hurting, and i try to sit for as long as i can before i just simply dont want to continue. Its not a big deal really, the piece will take more appointments, but it wont really cost any more than if i sat for longer, and it makes the process easier on both me and my artist.

Theres also the issue of time for the artist, who may have another appointment lined up after you.

shaneslawns
@

I sit for 4 to 5 hours each time on my back piece. Same on my sleaves. Now my legs I personally cant sit that long. They cut my main nerve in surgury so it kills. Money is a good reason to stop. And its how your artists feels as well, dont want to kill them eighter. Just take it slow, theres alot of canvas to cover and you have your hole life to do it. Cant take it back. Think hard and plan it out. Portraits I would wait to childs at least 5. There features change so much tell that age. Every post here so far is dead on. All the differnt reasons to keep going and to stop. Take something from each one.

30Hz
Participant
@30hz

I sit for 6 and a half hours each session on sleeve.

1) I have the money to do so
2) The pain isn’t too bad for me, its the third or fourth colour it gets real uncomfortable.
3) Youre going to experience the pain anyway, may as well get the most you can out of a session.

mt666tm
Participant
@mt666tm

3 hours on average of total work… with breaks in between. That’s enough for me

Adler
Participant
@adler

I’ve had shorter, 3 hour sessions and long 9 hour sessions. I would rather not sit for 9 hours but it was a guest artist situation and the work needed to get done so you just have to suck it up, get in a zone and tough it out. I think 4-5 is about enough though if possible.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.