Quibsy
Participant
@quibsy

Greetings!

I’m in deep thought towards getting my first tattoo but wanna make sure its unique and exactly what i want before getting inked.

I’ve got an idea for a brief but don’t want to commit to commissioning a tattoo artist as i’m quite fussy and don’t want to waste their time/my money.

Does anyone know of any custom tat design services online that might be able to help me out…[maybe like a 99Designs type deal?]. Or does anyone think this is a good enough idea to set up a website like that, specifically for custom tattoo design???!!

thanks for any help! 😀

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

That is a horribly stupid idea.
Your artist designs a custom tattoo that he/she is comfortable tattooing.
They will make a design that is in THEIR style…and the tattoo will come out better.

Quibsy
Participant
@quibsy

alright, chill out. didn’t think it was that stupid to be honest.

once you had a conceptual design drawn up from a crowdsourced competition, how would taking that design to the tattooist be any different to when ya choose a flash, design your own, or take in a downloaded image? ..all of which are cases of the tattooist not having incorporated “THEIR style”?

Committing to a design process from one single artist may mean they’re more comfortable, but do you not think it restricts the creative scope to “THEIR style”, without letting you play the field before approaching the tattooist with an initial design to work from that you’ve chosen from a range of interpretations.

I know it’s cool to develop an idea with the artist if you don’t like it at first, but still you’re restricted by their imagination/skill, whereas opening up a design competition to the masses could highlight new perspectives that neither you nor your elected artist could have fathomed from the brief.

Cornishtiger
Participant
@cornishtiger

The ladies right its a stupid idea.

I dare you to prove us wrong! In fact I will bet you £1000 you cant launch it and turn a profit for 12 months.

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

If you want a good tattoo goto a good tattooer and they will draw up something better than you could ever imagine as a good tattooer knows. They can take your idea with placement (body curves, other tattoos, etc) and other variables into account and make a truly custom piece of art. Many of the tattoo designs on the internet are not drawn by tattooers but artist which can be cool but tattooers have unique insight to the canvas of a body.

Where are you located? May be we can suggest some good tattooers to goto in that area?

Quibsy
Participant
@quibsy

Thanks; that was a lot more constructive. I’m in Bristol, England.

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough
Quibsy;77332 wrote:
Thanks; that was a lot more constructive. I’m in Bristol, England.

So please take in mind I am an American with not much knowledge to your location/distance/willingness to travel for a tattooer or shop so I hope I can continue to be useful. Or maybe some tattooers and/or tattoo customers more familiar with where you are at can weigh-in on this.

Here it goes. For some time now I have been really impressed with the work coming out of Frith Street Tattoo . Specifically Valerie Vargas, http://www.valerievargas.com , and Stewart Robson, http://WWW.STEWARTROBSON.COM . But all the artist there are impressive. I also know of some other tattooers and tattoo customers from England are pretty active at http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/

Alright let me know if this is useful and I look forward to the other feedback and of course the actual tattoo!!!!!????!!!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.