Zorba
Participant
@zorba

Grossly uncomfortable=Not at all – it is on me, hot and tight
Look stupid=Not at all – admittedly subjective
Forced on me=Not at all – that’s fine, just don’t force it on others
Makes sense in my climate=Makes no difference – fine
Hazardous=WTH? – do some research
Unhealthy=WTF? – ditto – for instance many doctors no longer wear them for this reason…
Conforming=Again as with forced, not at all – again fine, just don’t force others…
Male Burqa=You’re small enough so that it hides your face? – From a philosophical viewpoint: Forced on many, personality suppressing, drone creating/enforcing, sometimes even religiously based (for some insane non-reason!).
Skirts=Never seen one big enough, but I imagine a tie could look mighty good as a skirt on the right girl. – take a bunch of the damn things to a sewing machine!

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Sorry Zorba, I respect your choices in life but I think there is some serious projection going here. I think YOU have an issue with this and you are putting that on everyone else. I know a lot of people that wear collared shirts and ties and don’t have a problem.

Zorba
Participant
@zorba

I have an “issue with this”?

Of course I do – I thought that was the point of the entire conversation! I don’t like suits/ties, or the mentality thereof. Big whoop. I have no problem with anyone who actually WANTS to wear this stuff – my point is only that there are many who are forced to by their circumstance – and that that isn’t right.

The only thing I’m putting on anyone else is that I won’t tolerate anyone trying to get me to wear the darn things – which I don’t think is unreasonable. I don’t expect “you” (generic use) to wear a skirt, or get a tattoo, or Belly Dance, or whatever – so “you” shouldn’t expect me to wear a suit/tie because everyone else does (or for any other reason for that matter), do the Samba, eat sweet potatoes or whatever.

My point is merely that (so-called) “society” expects men to wear these ugly things – and its high time that we men started thinking for ourselves and not doing things because its “expected”. Sorry – wrong religion. I prefer to think for myself and do things my way, not have someone else make my decisions for me. Just that simple.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
Zorba;76997 wrote:
I have an “issue with this”?

Of course I do – I thought that was the point of the entire conversation! I don’t like suits/ties, or the mentality thereof. Big whoop. I have no problem with anyone who actually WANTS to wear this stuff – my point is only that there are many who are forced to by their circumstance – and that that isn’t right..

I have no problem with your problem with suits and ties. You, of course, are entitled to your opinion. I would say that no one is forced to wear anything- if someone really has a problem with this they can always start their own belly dancing studio.

.The only thing I’m putting on anyone else is that I won’t tolerate anyone trying to get me to wear the darn things – which I don’t think is unreasonable. I don’t expect “you” (generic use) to wear a skirt, or get a tattoo, or Belly Dance, or whatever – so “you” shouldn’t expect me to wear a suit/tie because everyone else does (or for any other reason for that matter), do the Samba, eat sweet potatoes or whatever..

Non one is asking you to wear anything, I agree with this whole paragraph with the exception of “the only thing I’m putting on everyone else” which I will address in the next section.

.My point is merely that (so-called) “society” expects men to wear these ugly things – and its high time that we men started thinking for ourselves and not doing things because its “expected”. Sorry – wrong religion. I prefer to think for myself and do things my way, not have someone else make my decisions for me. Just that simple.

This is where the problem lies. You can’t say that you are only saying that you don’t want to be forced to wear a tie yourself and then turn around and say that you have a problem with society expecting men to wear this type of clothing. The projection from you is that A) they are ugly and B) that the vast majority of people feel they are forced to wear them and C) the people that wear them did not do so of their own free will.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Zorba: No doubt you have had to overcome some major difficulties in your life because of your life choices, but you are projecting your own experience onto others. You are just as bigoted and hateful towards me for wearing a tie to work, as no doubt many people were towards you for wearing a skirt. Just because people are assholes towards you, does not give you the right to be an asshole to other people.

Zorba
Participant
@zorba
ArniVidar;77022 wrote:
Zorba: No doubt you have had to overcome some major difficulties in your life because of your life choices, but you are projecting your own experience onto others. You are just as bigoted and hateful towards me for wearing a tie to work, as no doubt many people were towards you for wearing a skirt. Just because people are assholes towards you, does not give you the right to be an asshole to other people.

Oh dude, what-ever.

I could care less what you, or anyone else, wears to work or anywhere else for that matter…

I’m just sick and tired of the “expectation” that men “must” wear these things. I think that those who do not like them – a HUGE number (Google is your friend) – need to stand up and say “ENOUGH”! Men need a “liberation” much as women have achieved.

Actually, I’ve had a pretty good life – thank you very much. No major difficulties to date, thank Goddess!

InkedLover
Participant
@inkedlover

Talking about suits and ties is getting of things a bit of topic.

Now I understand prior to the 1960s it was normally bikers, sailors, criminals who got tattoos but now since the 1970s the tattoos fashion has shot up where people have been getting more and more.

Now on the hands, neck, face where you can’t cover them up is still quite a bit of stigma and taboo against them. Say the young people these days… I don’t mean names, stars, chinese lettering or tribals.

I mean you quite often see for example these :
Knuckles : LOVE/HATE normally with dots (ACAB) or THUG/LIFE on the knuckles
Back of hand : Swallows, webs, wheels on the back of hands.
Necks : Swallows, webs, names, a broken line with CUT HERE
Face : I seen a guy before about 20 maybe 3 years ago with a cobweb on one side of his face and a spider on his other with some slogan on across his forehead.

Now will them ever be accepted in modern society them types of tattoos?

I understand the side of hand the typical cheryl cole tattoo a fair few females have but you very rarely see neck or face tattoos, will there ever be accepted in western society? I know in the maori in new zealand facial tattoos have been accepted and sometimes in parts of Africa but as far as people and society will them tattoos I mentioned ever be accepted?

Just I know a youngish with visible hands, neck, back of head and he says its one of the biggest regrets hes done because of the attention and stigma attached to them why is it when tattoos have been popular in mainstream since the early 70s and growing

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.