InkedLover
Participant
@inkedlover

Depending on of course what it is but in general are hand,neck,face tattoos still got negative stigma?

Will this ever change?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Yes.

Yes, when everyone older than 20 today has died off, it’ll be pretty much over and done with.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
ArniVidar;76855 wrote:
Yes.

Yes, when everyone older than 20 today has died off, it’ll be pretty much over and done with.

I disagree, I think people tend to inherit prejudices. It will go away but it won’t be in 20 years, at least not here in the states.

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

No, they aren’t acceptable. It’s sad, but true.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Gsouder;76905 wrote:
I disagree, I think people tend to inherit prejudices. It will go away but it won’t be in 20 years, at least not here in the states.

I didn’t say in 20 years. I said when all above the age of 20 today have died off. That will probably take close to a 100 years.

Prejudices are, naturally, inherited in some fashion, but social tendencies are a bigger factor IMO. No matter how bigoted you are, when every single one of your friends, family and even all strangers disagree with you, you will eventually back down if you’re not a complete psycho.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

The thing is unless you are heavily tattooed then hands, neck and face won’t be accepted. When I see people covered in tatts then the neck and hands are just an extension of what they have but there are so many under 30’s with neck tattoos in the UK at the moment with very little visible ink to be seen. Generally the types that are getting them are the young and unemployable with council houses and 4 kids. This is a generalization but I don’t know anyone who has a job dealing with the public with neck, face or hands tattoos as this will always make a large % of people uncomfortable for whatever reason.

SimplyComplex
Participant
@simplycomplex

A lot of companies still insist all tats and piercings are covered and hair is only a natural human color, especially in small towns…. it sucks…

mt666tm
Participant
@mt666tm

Everyone over the age of 20 has to die??

I bet once people 50+ start to kick it then we’ll be ok. I work in a very uptight industry and in the last 3 years we have hired many new faces with ink on the hands, and neck… from jobs in manual labor right up to the office.

I think it’ll be about subject matter. It all depends ‘what’ is tattoo’d on your hands/neck/face and how you present yourself

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

We’ve discussed this ad nauseum in other threads. Any front facing employee, meaning, anyone that the public sees (Which is virtually everyone), is going to have a hard time with visible tattoos like hands and face for a long, long time. The reason for that is simple: The general public does not trust someone who will modify their body that way and they feel that hiring people like that will negatively affect the brand of the company.

I have a full sleeve on my left arm so I’m not so crazy anti-tattoo weirdo. I’ve worked in the public for 15 years and I have seen people discriminate for far, far less then a tattoo. It could be sex, race, height, education… I actually had someone who refused to work with me because I have olive skin (he thought I was arab but I’m italian). My point is that even if you are qualified for a job, if an employer thinks that you will cause people to not work with his company he will not hire you.

And this shit isn’t changing. We see tons of 20 somethings with tattoos, great. This will help. The vast majority of people in our world either don’t have tattoos or have something small that they probably regret and yes, they will judge you for their mistake. As humans grow, they tend to become more and more conservative. Do you think that 50 year old hiring manager for google was a stiff necked collared shirt wearing straight edge douche in the 1970’s? NO, he was snorting coke off of some hookers tits in the back of a club just before an orgy. Today, however, he is a douche because he grew up and absorbed the culture of management.

I’mm all for doing what you want- you just have to realize that if you are wrong it could impact you for the rest of your life. It’s not “the 50 year olds” or “when the 20 year olds dies off” because it’s a corporate culture. Just like suits and ties probably own’t go anywhere for a while, the visible tattoo prejudice is here to stay and, unless you plan on a career where you won’t be working for anyone else, you are creating a reason to not get hired.

Just my .02

Zorba
Participant
@zorba
Gsouder;76944 wrote:
Just like suits and ties probably won’t go anywhere for a while…

I think you speak truth. The first thing that needs to happen for tattoo acceptance to go anywhere is to do away with suits and ties…

ArniVidar
@arnividar

What do you have against suits and ties?

Zorba
Participant
@zorba

Other than the fact that they’re grossly uncomfortable, look stupid, are forced on millions of unwilling men worldwide whether or not it makes sense in their local climate (usually NOT), thus causing an enormous worldwide waste of energy keeping buildings cool enough for overheated men to avoid passing out, being hazardous and unhealthy to wear on several fronts, show a mindless conforming mentality, and basically being the ‘male Burqa’ – why nothing. Ties can make beautiful skirts.

Never again for this dude.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

The suit and tie in western culture is a sign of respect to both the company you work for and the customers that you support. I think you will find that a lot of people put up with or even like wearing a tie for this reason. I respect that you have found another way and that you are ok with yourself but there are a lot of guys out there who don’t think ties “look stupid” or are uncomfortable with wearing one.

To keep with the thread your point supports mine totally. You found a way to never wear a tie again, great, but to do that you have to step out onto the fringe. The other 95% of people working have some sort of conformity to adhere to- whether it’s shirts and ties, steel toe boats and overalls, hazmat suits, whatever, there is still a code in place. This same code applies to visible tats… the rules are one in the same. If you break these rules- go into an interview with a beautiful suit, a classy tie and a bright blue mohawk- you create an obstacle that you have to get around in order to get the job. This is not changing anytime soon as it has not changed for a long, long time. Look back over history and see for yourself- Image has ALWAYS been important.

Anyway, it’s my opinion that visible tats have a long long way to go before they are accepted if ever at all.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Grossly uncomfortable=Not at all
Look stupid=Not at all
Forced on me=Not at all
Makes sense in my climate=Makes no difference
Hazardous=WTH?
Unhealthy=WTF?
Conforming=Again as with forced, not at all
Male Burqa=You’re small enough so that it hides your face?
Skirts=Never seen one big enough, but I imagine a tie could look mighty good as a skirt on the right girl..:p

Zorba
Participant
@zorba
Gsouder;76959 wrote:
The suit and tie in western culture is a sign of respect to both the company you work for and the customers that you support. I think you will find that a lot of people put up with or even like wearing a tie for this reason. I respect that you have found another way and that you are ok with yourself but there are a lot of guys out there who don’t think ties “look stupid” or are uncomfortable with wearing one.

Ah, but there are PLENTY of men who detest the damn things, and have to wear them anyway! Respect? How about a little respect for the people who are indeed forced to wear one? Its time those who have economic control over others STOP being quite so controlling over their lives.

Quote:
To keep with the thread your point supports mine totally. You found a way to never wear a tie again, great, but to do that you have to step out onto the fringe.

Have to step onto the fringe to avoid a tie? Not really – there are plenty of ways of making a living where you’re not forced to wear one – even increasingly in the corporate world. The damned things *are* slowly – too slowly – but nonetheless slowly going away. Never in the history of the planet has any “fashion” remained in place for so long. Its past its time…

Quote:
Look back over history and see for yourself- Image has ALWAYS been important.

I agree with this – but I disagree that this is RIGHT. It isn’t – it is so very wrong/immoral/unethical on so many levels.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.